Muntri Mews
Seven Terraces(George Town)
US$149
US$175
US$138
G Hotel Gurney(George Town)
US$168
Spices Hotel(George Town)
US$61
US$55
  • Breakfast included
G Hotel Kelawai(George Town)
US$154
US$120
Travelocity
All reviewschinese teaboutique hotelcafe servesmosquito netfamily suitethe ground floorspecial thanksquiet streetsitting areahome away from homewalking distanceheritage sitelittle touchesnasi lemakstreet artair conlocal food
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Conveniently situated hotel with charm and an eye for details. The staff is always helpful and very attentive. For the guest they always ‘walked an extra mile’ and responded to any of our requests (be it printing, scanning or booking our ferry tickets) immediately and with no extra-charges. We very much appreciated the rooms, because of unexpected stylish interior and its personal touch. We enjoyed our stay and would come back any time we visit Georgetown.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a PERFECT boutique hotel! Located in the heart of Georgetown with many things to explore nearby. The converted old horse stables was elegantly and tastefully refurbished, rich in character and charm. There is a little courtyard with luscious plants which gives a cooling and calming effect around the place. Love the heritage style decor of the room and the bed was very comfortable. The cafe also serves a variety of must-try local food and some international specialties. (Tip: Try the ikan sambal - blue rice with steamed seabass, mango salad, salted egg and emping. Absolutely delicious!!) There are even some magazines and good books about Penang history and architectures available in the cafe for you to learn more about Penang. The staff were very friendly, attentive, and helpful. The service is just outstanding.
It was a great experience staying in Muntri News. I would highly recommend to anyone visiting Penang.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Muntri Mews is a lovely place. I booked a twin suite and stayed with a friend for 5 days. There were little touches that made our stay very enjoyable - fan brought to the sitting area in front of our suite whenever we were lounging about outside (thanks for the initiative); cold drink brought to us as soon as we returned from long hours of walking (very much appreciated); friendly service from staff (shows that you enjoy your work - well done!). I must also say that the food at Mews Cafe is worthy of mention. Enjoyed my meals! Thanks for a great stay! :)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I stayed a night over the last weekend. Booking was swift, except that email confirmation was not sent as promised. But nonetheless, Brian were expecting us. The staffs helped us put our luggage to our upgraded room. We were introduced to our room, did a little orientation. Local tea set was served right after check-in. Very courteous. Breakfast was really tasty.

As I drove from Kuala Lumpur, I asked about parking ( I didn't catch his name). Was told to park within the parking box along the road, else a parking summon will be issued. Just need to bring the "green paper" when checking out, and I will be reimbursed. I was surprised by the gesture and I thought that it may be more economical to pay summon vs parking fee. So when I check out, I handed parking summons (in green). Brian was surprised, and told me that they don't settle parking summons? No apology was offered, nor made an effort to help me pay, as the city council office only opens on weekdays (as I was going back to KL on Sunday), even if I said I will own it up.

Anyway, the morale of the story is...don't assume visitors are familiar with parking system at Penang. I would suggest that the owner trains his staff to ask how did their guests arrive. And subsequently advice etc.

Room Tip: The street noise can be annoying, esp late in the night.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
MuntriMews, Manager at Muntri Mews, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Miss Wong,

Thank you for your compliments on our service and food despite your experience with the authorities.

First, I would like to clear my colleague’s name that I was the one who checked you out and not Brian.

Our practice is to inform our guests upon check-in that we do not have parking facilities followed by advice to park at the marked parking bays on Muntri Street provided by the local council which require parking coupons (we have them in stock for sale to our guests). MPPP, the local council, has put up signboards on every street with parking bays to give notice of the rates charged. On the day in question, you had informed me that you did have the parking coupons in your car, so I do not really understand your suggestion to us not to assume that visitors are familiar with the parking system in Penang.

In any case, I apologize if there had been a miscommunication about the matter and I am most sorry that you’ve been issued with a summons.

I am also sorry if I had come across as apathetic or uncaring about the summons, an impression which was totally unintended. At the time, I was just a little taken aback by the fact you had received a summons as we try as hard as possible to ensure our guests do not have to face such a situation.

If you could consider giving us another chance to make up for the unpleasant ending to your holiday, we would be most grateful.

Regards,
Yung

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and me were deciding between Muntri Mews and Noordin Mews and it was a blessing in disguised that we ended up staying at Muntri Mews.
Upon arrival we were greeted and shown into the cafe for registration. And we were served cold drinks which was a nice touch with the warm weather outside. We were than shown to our lovely room which had a colonial feel but with modern facilities and shown where the remote control, password etc were in room. And wished a pleasant stay by the manager who checked us in as well as showed us to our room. He was very friendly and helpful.
Tea was served in a short while, tasty Chinese tea with local cookies that brought back memories of one's childhood.
We chilled for a short while and my friend read up on the literatures that were available on Penang including maps. Following which we ventured out to explore George Town by foot. While on our way to Jawi House for dinner we discovered some street arts along the streets. To our disappointment Jawi House was closed for dinner. So we walked back to Mews Cafe for dinner and enjoyed the local food there. I had Helen's Curry and it was yummy. After a satisfying dinner, we returned to our room had a nice warm and relaxing shower with the lavender bath gel. And we fell asleep almost immediately on the comfy beds.
The breakfast served the next morning was tasty too. We had the local pratha served with chicken curry and vegetable curry. Accompanied by aromatic strong local coffee, freshly squeezed orange juice and cold water with a twist of lemon. The satisfying breakfast gave us the boost that we needed to walk and explore the Peranakan Museum and street arts along the way. The breakfast kept us going till 3pm, and we stopped at a local cafe called 12 cups for delicious coffee, mille fueille and curry puff. When we walked back to the hotel all hot and bothered by the scorching sun, the cafe staff immediately greeted us and enquired if we would like some water. It was served icy cold with the refreshing lemon flavour. And it occured each time we got back to the hotel and we really looked forward to it.
We stayed for five days and enjoyed both the local and English or American breakfast served daily. And the supper of nasi goreng and chicken satay were simply scrumptious.
With the friendly and attentive staff, delicious food and lovely room. Not forgetting the little garden outside each room on the ground floor. Made our stay very enjoyable and memorable indeed. And we will not hesitate to stay here again or recommend a stay here.Just one little gripe, the poor internet connection in the room could be improved. The connection was good in the garden and cafe otherwise.

• Stayed: June 2014