“One of a Million”

Ranked #6 of 927 Restaurants in George Town
Price range: US$2 - US$7
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: MEWS CAFÉ serves Malay food prepared with fresh local ingredients. Diners can choose to dine in a cozy air-conditioned setting or alfresco. The cafe delectable spread is all prepared with homemade sauces and spices, without the usage of MSG.
Petaling Jaya, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“One of a Million”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

One thing I like about MEWS CAFE is the fact that the atmosphere is wonderful. If it's a hot day, one can just sit inside and enjoy the luxurious heritage atmosphere with pictures of the old days in the midst of cold air and available drinks. Plants surround the area, giving one an ample amount of oxygen as we exhale carbon dioxide while we consume the delicious food. Regarding the food, I would just randomly select any choice and MEWS CAFE would meet my expectations of Penang food, which is really high since I consider my grandmother's food the best in Penang and other food are the lesser kind. Although there were at some points where miscommunication might happen between the waiter and I, but I would overlook it as they were also learning in the process of creating a wonderful and better experience for the rest of the customers as well.

Their Nasi Dagang with beef and Helen's Curry Mee (no beef) is at the top of my choices when I come to this Cafe. Along with my favorite drink of milk, cookies and cream (forgot name, sorry.. >.<), it surely made my day as I would go home with a bloated stomach with a contented heart as I left my footprints behind.

Regarding the price, it is a reasonable as it is a Hotel Cafe and as the store is located along Penang's Heritage Walk, one would have expected the price to be as high as the moon.But, this was not true for MEWS CAFE as the price is reasonable, even for a student as I. My family would always come here, to not only experience the fine dining experience, but to also consume the wonderful food, which cannot be found anywhere else in the world as it has a taste unique to this cafe only. (;

All I got to say to the staff is keep on improving no matter how long you worked there. Your experience in serving us are one of the factors that keep us, customers coming back as well. :)

• Visited November 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Vietnamese first
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
“First but most definitely not last”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Penang is well-known for its mouth-watering delicacies. I've been from morning markets and hawker food by the roadsides to hotel buffets. So, why not give this cafe a try since we were going for lunch?
The cafe gave a very peaceful ambience and I love the way they had a row of trees at the side. I felt as though I was on a getaway from the hustle and bustle of the city.
We took a sit on the inside. The waiters had a smile on their faces which made us feel most welcomed. We each ordered something different off the menu. I decided to try Helen's Curry Mee. It had a unique flavor to it. Different from all the other curry mees that I've had. The taste was nicely balanced out.
In a nutshell, it was a pleasant lunch we had. Our taste buds were satisfied. It may have been my first but most definitely not my last visit to Mews Cafe.

Penang Island, Malaysia
“Nice ambience and fine dinner”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

i have visit Mews couple of time. I must say that the beautiful arrangement and decoration, taste of food together with the great service that I received, it give me a full satisfaction. I have tried some of the meal and its all very delicious from the western food to local cuisine. I would definitely come again to this restaurant and would recommend to my friend as well.

• Visited October 2013
Hanoi, Vietnam
“Nice place to break the walk”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

As I was late for the tour at Cheang Fatt Tze Mansion, I walked around to the near by street and stop by Mews for a refreshment. It was very nice outside sitting with great drinks. try the mango lassi. Staff were very nice and accommodating. There's wifi as well. They also run a small hotels with very nice rooms next to the cafe.

Visited October 2013
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“pet-friendly cafe”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

this cafe is one of the few places in penang which are pet-friendly. they have an outside seating area by the garden and you can bring your pets to sit with you while you enjoy your meal or drink. it was nice talking to brian who is also a pet lover.

• Visited September 2013