“Our home away from home in Penang” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Campbell House

Campbell House
Ranked #1 of 170 George Town B&B and Inns
Sydney, Australia
“Our home away from home in Penang”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2012

Last August my husband and I were having a holiday at G Hotel in Penang. Whilst we were wandering around Georgetown we came across Campbell House and had some delicious dinners in their restaurant Il Bacaro. We also checked out the accommodation which was not yet open - it was beautiful and we promised to return!

When my daughter and I planned a trip to Penang recently there was nowhere else we would rather stay. We stayed in the Sari Suite a lovely room on the first floor with its own little terrace. Attention to detail is exceptional. Some of my favorite things were the rain shower in the bathroom, the beautiful essential oil toiletries, and the comfy soft beds. Another plus was the Nespresso machine in the room for my early morning coffee, it was great to make a cup go out on our private terrace and watch Georgetown come to life.

All of the staff both in the restaurant and hotel were very thoughtful. Mary who looked after our room made sure our fridge was supplied with the lovely orange or lemon tea she made fresh every morning. Of an early evening when she came to close the drapes and turn down our beds she always left us a little treat. One night it was panna cotta, another some dainty little biscuits and on another occasion some zabaglione - a special treat from Roberto.

Nardya and Roberto are wonderful hosts. They are always available for a chat and are a wealth of information about what to see and do whilst in Penang.

All I can say is I would return to Campbell House in a heartbeat - Mary get the tea ready!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Meredith J

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed with Nardya and Roberto for 4 nights and had one of the most memorable stays in all of our travels. The service was flawless, the accommodations sumptuous, the food superb, the location perfect. Our hosts were always available with recommendations of where to go, what to see, which hawker had the best dish, etc. and always sought our feedback on what we had enjoyed that day. Their staff was welcoming and friendly. We highly recommend a stay here! We stayed in the Silver Leaf room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Billharr1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2012 via mobile

Campbell house was one of my favorite experiences in Penang. gorgeous rooms, good food and excellent service. You must try the kaya served there. hope to come back soon

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Ammanicole
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

My girlfriend & I stayed 3 nights in the Peacock room - which was absolutely gorgeous. Our room came with a daily jug of delicious ice lemon tea (which proved to be the perfect companion in the summer-heat) and desserts. The lounge/reading area is so beautifully done up and we couldn't stop taking pictures around the house. The breakfasts were a splendid way to start our days - we loved the soft-boiled eggs! The Italian Spritz is a must-try for the evenings too! The location was good too - the shopping centres (10min), key sights in Georgetown (15-25min) and great dim-sum/chicken rice (2min) are all within walking distance from the house. Thank you Nardya and Daniel for being such great hosts!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ho_Paul
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Although we had only stayed one night in CH, it has definitely captured our hearts and planning to book for our next trip in Penang.

My local Penang friends always tell me not to expect too much for service in Malaysia. I guess this GEM along campbell street has proved it wrong. Its all about service service service.

As what other guests had already mentioned in the previous reviews. You definitely need not to worry about service here. Nadya, Roberto and Daniel are the true service providers and hosts. Their personalized, friendly and yet genuine service made you totally at home. I guess nothing can beat your home as it is the most comfortable place in the world, so as in CH. You can totally chat with them like your family and close friends in sharing life experience, tips around in George Town and yes lots of laughter and fun. You can totally enjoy and immerse like home here.

From the handmade grand staircase to the each individually uniquely tastefully designed rooms. Its just comfotable and yet you don't feel like you are in a museum in London. My favorite corner is definitely the Library. Chilling out at night with just me and Mom is heartwarming and fun. Admiring at each of the collection in each corners and sipping the home made ice tea provided by CH is yet another memorable experience that money can't buy.

Another beautiful place is their Italian restaurant. The traditional old fashion Italian deco is accompanied by the old black and white family pictures which are all Roberto's family members and friends which made it even more precious and outstanding. The breakfast experience is wonderful, they are fresh and tasty! I guess their home baked croissants are one of the best i have tried. Warm, fresh and crispy!!!!

Everything just goes perfectly for this short stay. I will definitely return soon Nadya if you are reading this! Unlike those cold, arrogant and museum like 5 stars hotels. To me, its more than a boutique hotel, its filled with love and efforts from the Nadya and Roberto, their experience, life stories, family, culture and more!

Who says nothing beats home? Yes Campbell House does!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank 00213957
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My hubby and I stayed at the Campbell House for three nights in April on a first-time visit to Malaysia and Georgetown. It is quite a unique property on many levels, which makes it hard to compare with anywhere else I have stayed in my travels. It is a gem, and Georgetown occupies a very special place in our hearts because of the Campbell House. I'll try not to give everything away, so I'll just mention a few things.

Upon entering, it's immediately clear that the restoration / renovation is a true labor of love. The place is beautiful right down to the interiors and the finish. There are many small touches one would never see or experience in a cookie-cutter hotel chain.

We stayed at the Colonial and loved it. We wished we could have tried other rooms, too, since every one is different! Once we're out exploring for the day, we could not help but be drawn to go "home" at least three times everyday. It was just so comfortable and cozy. The room *and* bathroom were kept so squeaky clean no germ could thrive in there. Which leads to a special mention about their truly outstanding housekeeping staff. They weren't just in the background; they proactively (but non-intrusively) ensured our every need was taken care of. There was a lot of pride in being part of Campbell House.

Breakfast had a special ambiance. When it's not too hot, the floor to ceiling doors opened to the street. And while enjoying our Campbell House breakfast, we'd also order a bowl of noodles from the noodle cart just outside!

Finally, we made all our plans with the endlessly helpful owners / hosts before we arrived and when we were already there. We benefited greatly from the inside information and roamed not just Georgetown, but other areas of Penang (Penang Hill Station is not to be missed).

We can truly say that the Campbell House has changed Georgetown for the better. We only wish there were more properties like it elsewhere. Don't miss out on staying here!

Room Tip: Colonial is at the end and right by the door to the terrace if you like to hang out al fresco.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

Campbell House really is as delightful as all the reviewers have said. The building itself has gorgeously restored to its original splendor--or possibly even better than its original state, considering the soundproofed windows, the efficient air conditioning in each room, the luxurious showers and other modern touches. The owners, Nardya and Roberto, and the entire staff went out of their way to ensure that my friend and I enjoyed our stay in Penang from the moment we stepped through the door the first night. They were friendly and attentive, always happy to offer recommendations for dinner or a hike. Nardya even found pain relief medicine for me when I strained my neck! A leisurely breakfast each morning in Il Bacaro, the restaurant onsite, was a highlight of my weekend trip. In terms of personal attention, service, food, and decor, you won't find anything better in Penang than Campbell House.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends