“Beautiful, spacious rooms and common areas, great location and price”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Campbell House

Campbell House
Ranked #1 of 169 George Town B&B and Inns
“Beautiful, spacious rooms and common areas, great location and price”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Campbell House already has many, many, many excellent reviews, but JUST in case you were STILL agonising over what to book, hopefully this helps.

I have stayed in Yeng Keng (Mansion Double Room), Traders (Club Room) and I must say that Campbell House really stands out as it gives you:
*the beauty of a restored house (I actually find it is more beautiful than Yeng Keng because the common areas are wooden and with lovely decorations and furniture - never spent any time in the library but it is gorgeous!)
*spacious rooms (Yeng Keng's Mansion Double was tinnnnyyyy and roughly the same price as Silver Leaf) with ample privacy (reason why I was never keen on staying at Chong Fatt Tze with its tour groups)
*spacious common areas (the breakfast area is in the downstairs restaurant which is a lot bigger than Yeng Keng's and in air conditioning!)
*good location (great for walking around to different food places in Georgetown, though doesn't have any night life like you'd get with Yeng Keng on Chulia St with the night food stalls and backpacker hostels, nor does it have the convenience of being next to komtar/bus depot and shopping malls like Traders)
*a pretty good price - compared to what you'd pay at Clove Hall, the rooms (we stayed in Silver Leaf and my friend stayed in Opium) are very well priced
*free, cold lemon tea! (I don't drink coffee but there are free nespresso pods too to use with the machine in the rooms!)

Some weird/different things:
*you have to take off your shoes to go upstairs to your rooms, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker as the floors are kept fairly clean and it's good to preserve the wooden staircase and floors
*you have to leave your key with the front desk - this is apparently for security reasons and on the upside, at least you don't need to carry it around and worry about losing it

To answer some of the very few criticisms I read:
Re. food, yes I'd have is that it is kind of strange to have a only western breakfast offering (option of different types of bread/toast - even cake/fruit loaf?, fruit, yoghurt? - I can't remember as we usually would have an epic food plan and would skip breakfast to save on rom), but the owners are Italian (the coffee drinkers will be grateful) and so to me, it made sense that they would want to have a little bit of home in an Italian restaurant and offer something different (if you want a Penang style breakfast, there are PLENTY of options, even just across the road there was an EXCELLENT noodle soup cart!) Also, if you're also new to Asian food or don't want to be too overwhelmed/save room for the rest of the day like us, then having a western style breakfast (or just fresh fruit you can trust not to get sick from) this can actually be a really good thing.

Re. wifi, worked fine for us in Silver Leaf... think my friend was ok in Opium too. If you're paranoid, then pick the first floor rooms over the second floor rooms.

Re. noise, we never had any problems.

I am DEFINITELY staying at Campbell House again. Love, love, LOVED it!

Room Tip: Silver Leaf is a darker room in decor and if you want a king bed, it is made of two beds zipped toge...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank pocketmay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 18 January 2014

If I could give the property a 4.5, I would. Our experience is the same as most -- beautiful property, hardworking, friendly and very accommodating staff and great location for exploring Penang. We enjoyed having the coffee machine in the room and the breakfasts in the restaurant were very well done. The Indochine room is beautiful and spacious. Nardya and Roberto had some great restaurant recommendations (we ate at Kapitan twice) but for a different kind of dining we would highly encourage anyone visiting Penang to go to the food stalls at night for an incredible and very affordable dinner. We went to New Lane market not far from the hotel. Very few tourists and wonderful food. The loss of one-half star for Campbell house is related to the Wi-fi. My husband and I both have our own businesses and need reasonable internet while traveling. The connection didn't work from our room and was intermittent on the terrace and in the library. It was a bit disappointing given how nice the rest of the hotel and its amenities were. If you don't care about internet, we would highly recommend Campbell house.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 47heaven
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

We had 6 nights at Campbell House and we could not fault it. Service was wonderful, breakfast was delicious as was the Italian restaurant. All staff were great, including the security guard who on our last morning was outside our room at 6.30am to bring our bags downstairs. The room, Rose, was lovely, beautifully appointed and aesthetically pleasing. A ver relaxing and interesting stay.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Passionatehawker
Honolulu
Reviewed 17 January 2014

stayed here for two nights based on local friends' recommendation. location could not be more central and convenient. booked the loft room as it was the last room available. received a pre-arrival email from wendy offering airport transportation and it worked out really well. they use local transport purveyors--had a gentleman named Daniel upon arrival and Zahli, both very friendly, professional, and accommodating.

welcomed by both Wendy and Charmaine upon arrival, both very courteous and charming indeed. they were very understanding when I told them the airline did not transfer my bags to my flight and will be delivering them later. when I came back, found my luggage set up in my room. the loft room, which is the highest in the building, is filled with character and ambiance (could be romantic for couples). as a tall person, I had to duck underneath the beam before getting into bed and when using the toilet (the shower was spacious with great water pressure though, not a problem at all). it was more an amusement rather than an annoyance being that I only stayed two nights.

the loft is also two-storied, so downstairs from the bedroom is the lounge area which I absolutely adored. in spite of an advisory during the welcome orientation that WiFi in the loft might be iffy, I actually got a pretty good signal inside my loft lounge, thank God.

the breakfast was amazing as was the iced lemon tea and the water in the fridge as well as the turndown cookies, much appreciated. I understand CH is more of a b'nb, so it's awesome when they add five-star touches to their service. The staff were remarkable including Irish and Reynaldo. Had a chance to chat with the owners--Nardya and Roberto--and they're lovely people as well. Would def come back to stay at CH on the next trip to Penang.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank globaliste
California
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

After a long hot bike ride around Georgetown we were riding around trying to find the perfect place to stop off for refreshing drink! We came across this beautifully painted townhouse on the corner, with some tables & chairs to sit outside and have a drink and watch the world go by.
With it being such a hot day, we discovered how gorgeously decorated the inside was, very classy, and air conditioned !! Which is just what we needed!!! The staff were full of smiles, welcoming & attentive! We only ordered a pineapple juice & lime juice, but even they were served beautifully & with a unique twist! I would have loved to have stayed for lunch!! We used the wifi, which was fast!! Which I think is good to know if anyone is looking to set up their laptop over a coffee! Which I saw one person doing.

Great place, recommend to anyone!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carla K
Luzern
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The Campbell House is one of the newer constructions of the colonial houses in Georgetown and is nicely renovated. The rooms are relatively large and are nicely decorated. Particular for the rooms are also the Nespresso coffee machine as well as fresh ice tea which is complimentary. One highlight of the hotel is the extremely nice, hard working, helpful and extremely attentive chinese origined reception management lady, called Chairmane. She is the "real jewel" of the house who gives to the guest the feeling to be at home
Although indicated in the webpages, the WIFI did not work our room. There was a possibility to work in the lobby area and in the common shared house saloon on internet. However, for an excellent place of today (also when also indicated in Internet), the WIFI must work in the room. We had also some complaints of noise from other hotel guest since we were working laterly in the saloon. Since we had also to work, we decided to leave the hotel after two days which we paid in advance and took another hotel in Penang. The hotel management should invest in a better internet facility or declare properly in the webpages that good wifi not available in the rooms.
Further, the house does not appear to be very well isolated. At least the hotel guests below requested me that I tiptoe while walking in the room.
The hotel has an integrated italian restaurant what in my view does not really fit to much in a colonial Penang hotel house. This would be like in Rome, there would be a chinese malay restaurant in a historic italian hotel. But this is more a matter of taste.
The breakfast was reasonable with selection of western food to be ordered, e.g. fried eggs, french toasts.. Missing was an asian option (e.g. rice or noodles). Since I am mostly vegan, I was asking for a salad or rice dish. Rice was not possible and for salad, the asked in a first step additional money, but after my complaint, they agreed that this is complimentary. I was a bit surprised, but the restaurant manager reacted properly.
Although there are some complaints, the hotel has a good standard. For the reasons above, my impression is definitively not an excellent. I would give a rating between very good and average. Since most of the customers are surprisingly extremely positive, I downgrade my grading to an average. This also to provide some weight to my observations.

Room Tip: If you need Wifi in the room clearly request that Wifi working in the room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ElmarBacher
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Everything was wonderful: the location in the heart of old town, the beautifully decorated rooms, and, most of all, the caring and thoughtful people who work there. We and our 5year old were made very welcome and had lots of great advice on things to do in Penang, and the best food stalls. Breakfasts were delicious, and so was other food we had in il Bacaro. It was a very happy and carefree holiday!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Loft and in Calligraphy-both were lovely.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank liliya2014