“Extremely Dissapointing!”

Ranked #20 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Brisbane, Australia
“Extremely Dissapointing!”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Booked the Cititel many months ago for a 14 days visit. We turned up and we wanted a water view. We were shown to a smoking room with a view which, at the time we accepted, as there was no obvious smoke smell however the longer we stayed in the room the stronger the smoke smell got. To be fair that was our fault however our real problem was the size of the room. It was far too small and it appears that all rooms in the hotel are the same size. The reception area and the breakfast area had a strange dirty smell and we checked out the following day to stay at the Bayview Georgetown, just around the corner. To be fair the staff were extremely friendly and very concerned with our comfort. They even assisted us to arrange alternative accommodation.
I think if we had been placed in a non-smoking room and had plans to stay for only a couple of days the Cititel would have been fine.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brentwood_Resort
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 9 March 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing the experience of your recent stay with us and I trust that you had a good trip home.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment encountered during your recent stay with us. I regret that our hotel does not have a totally smoke-free environment policy but please be assured that our Maintenance Manager and Housekeeper are always looking into improving the air quality of our public areas and in our guestrooms constantly.

I am also sorry to note that our rooms are too small for your liking – may I recommend our Corner Rooms for your next stay here; they are located at the corners of our guestroom floors and are bigger in terms of room size. I do hope you will consider this category for your next stay.

My sincere thanks for writing in as it is through your kind feedback and observations that we can continuously improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

My team and I look forward to be given another opportunity to make amends and look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of assistance in planning for your next trip to Penang.

Tony Goh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vilnius, Vilniaus Apskritis, Lithuania
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Very good location, walking distance from major objects. Nice and clean rooms, very good staff service. We really liked over there. And it was really nice to relax after chaotic day in the town. Recommend for the ones looking good comfort in Asia ;)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Aida S
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 4 March 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you very much for your kind comments of our hotel services, facilities and location - they are greatly appreciated.

My team and I are truly glad to know that you and your family have had an enjoyable time here.

Thank you for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back again for yet another fulfilling stay.. see you soon.

Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Attending niece wedding at Penang on 22nd February'2014,since wedding reception is held there,obvious choice of hotel to stay in since i m from Kota Kinabalu.

Location is good as near to town centre.
Transport facility not mentioned as not needed.
Security unknown
Room is cosy and comfortable,adjustable airconditioner is really good,has stayed at few hotel before where airconditioner not adjustable and really suffer if too cold.
Breakfast is good and choices fairly good.
Transport to airport very conveniently arranged.
Room service good and room is clean

In conclusion,Good and recommended to others
I will stay at Cititel again if i go to Penang again

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I trust that you and your family had a memorable time at your niece's wedding celebration.

It is wonderful to know that you have enjoyed your stay here and thank you for taking the time to write. Your positive comments on our team, our facilities and your stay experience here at Cititel Penang are most appreciated and thank you for your recommendation in your review.

My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back on your next visit to Penang.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

As we had spent most of our travels backpacking we thought we would 'treat' ourselves to a hotel in Georgetown - disappointed was an understatement.
The first room we were given was in the middle of a building site as the hotel was having CCTV fitted - the corridors verged on dangerous. However, this was shared at check in so we decided to continue to the room. The room was disgusting. The sheets were stained, there were hairs in the bed and stains up the walls. We took pictures and went back down to the reception. Both managers came to see the pictures and seemed shocked by what we showed them.
They moved us to another room - but again the sheets were stained and the ceiling was leaking all around the air con - and not just a little bit.
Again we returned and a manager said we could have a room that had just been vacated. The manager actually over saw the cleaning of the 3rd room and it was much better than the first 2 we had been allocated.
This room was better than the first 2 and we did stay. The staff on the whole were very friendly but I wouldn't rush back.

Room Tip: The 3rd room we were offered was stain free and clean!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ACW80
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 10 March 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share the review of your recent stay and it is with much regret to learn of the less-than-positive experience of your recent stay with us.

I sincerely apologise for our shortcomings and for the lack of attention from our Housekeeping team in the first two rooms you mentioned.

Please be assured that this is not our usual standards of service that we maintain here at Cititel Penang and I have reiterated to my Housekeeper and team to ensure that this does not recur.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back again – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

With kind regards
Thailand
Reviewed 18 February 2014

The hotel located in Georgetown which is a beautiful old town. There were many restaurant nearby. The room was so small, also the bathroom, but there were some bath stuff there. Thing that I disliked was that A/C didn't work well. Though I turned to 19 Celsius degree, I didn't feel cold at all. So I had to turn on a ceiling fan, then it's better. Anyways, there were various kinds of food for breakfast and they tasted good. NO free wifi in the room even if in the lobby.

Room Tip: NO free wifi in the room even if in the lobby.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 21 February 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay in Penang and I hope that you had a good trip home.

Please accept my sincere apologies on the malfunction of the air-conditioning unit in your room – our Maintenance team has looked into the issue and am pleased to share that the thermostat for this unit has been replaced.

I am sorry to hear of the WIFI issue; All room reservations are accorded complimentary Wifi for two devices, unless the reservations are made through a travel agent

Separately, we do have a 24-hour Internet Kiosk/Station within the Main Street Café, our all-day dining restaurant, located on the Lobby Level. all guests and patrons are accorded complimentary use of the surfing stations as well as have access to the complimentary WIFI at the restaurant.

On the positive side, I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast spread and exploring our heritage city.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your continuous feedback that we are able to objectively review our facilities and the services we provide to ensure that they meet and exceed our guests’ expectations.

I look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon and please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance with your next reservations.

With best wishes and kind regards,
Hong Kong
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Huge hotel at the edge of the old town. It is a bit of a walk to the jetty (20 minutes) but the free CAT bus has a stop across the street from the hotel. The room looks a bit aged but is clean, with the bathroom recently renovated. A few stains here and there but it is generally clean. It is a busy hotel with many patrons in the lobby at most times of the day but sound-proofing seems quite decent and noise was not a major problem. Hotel staff are knowledgeable and helpful, especially the concierge, who organized an airport drop-off in a nice vehicle at very reasonable market rates.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank hkg2009hkg
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Guest

Gong Xi Fa Cai and Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang!

I am delighted to note that you had an enjoyable stay with us and are happy with our hotel services and facilities. My team and I thank you for taking the time to write and your kind comments are most appreciated.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to your continued patronage.

Wishing you a great Lunar Year of The Horse!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This is our first time in Penang. The hotel location is good; accessible by bus and its surroundings are good. It is just opposite to the Red Garden, our favour place to eat.
The room is ok; clean and functional. The service is good; the staff is friendly and helpful. The buffet breakfast is excellent but a bit disappointed on the buffet supper.
Overall, we have a good time in Penang and will certainly visit Cititel again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter C
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang and hope that you had a good trip home.

Thank you for taking the time to compliment our services and facilities during your recent stay and I am indeed very pleased to know that you and your family have had a wonderful stay with us.

I have shared your kind comments with my team members here and have thanked them for their dedication and hard work in ensuring that our guests have a fulfilling stay with us.

All of us certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang again and please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Thank you once again for taking the time to share your experience with us.

With kind regards