“Great location warm service”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in George Town
“Great location warm service”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Booked my last minute holiday through Zuji. Read the good reviews about this hotel.

Experience was good. The hotel is nicely located near food centre and there are shops nearby. Reception staff was warm and friendly. Breakfast spread was good and a huge variety. Room was clean however we could have a better stay if there was extra bed. The king size bed they claim look more like a queen size.

In summary good service and I will recommend this hotel to my friends.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank mshoon
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 30 June 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I am very happy to note that you had enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared your kind comments with my team.

Your words of appreciation mean a lot to us and it is always a delight to know that we have exceeded our guests’ expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit - do try booking with us directly via our hotel website for lowest room rates available.

Sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

With kind regards,
Tony Goh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Bathroom has no fan or air circulation, causing the whole room to stink and steamed.
had to wait for 90 minutes to check in at 3:30PM because my room wasn't ready.
The room are not very clean and look a bit old.
The beds are comfortable and location is convenient tho.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 28 June 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment encountered during your recent stay with us - we were experiencing high occupancy during your visit and I regret the wait at check-in. I hope that did not deter you from enjoying your stay in Penang.
On a separate note, I am pleased to share that the bathroom in our guestrooms are presently being upgraded and will have better ventilation when ready.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your observations that we can continuously strive to improve our facilities and services and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again for another stay soon.

With kind regards and best wishes
Kulim, Malaysia
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Room
Honestly, I have always associated Cititel Penang with cheaper Penang hotels but I was pleasantly surprised by the quality in a few areas. Check-in was effortless. Room was clean and tidy with even a fruit platter. Bathroom was not classy but clean. Sea-view was a nice surprise.

Breakfast
Breakfast spread was good, better than many other business hotels I’ve been to.

Others
The hotel houses the Kirishima Japanese restaurant. Must try it. Salmon belly and the Kampachi.

Parking
Crammed for space so your skill has to be good. Hard to get in and out of car though so if you are sensitive about scratches on your precious car, then be careful where you park. Pay RM4 per entry but this is claimable through a voucher you will receive during check in. My only complaint was that even when I parked at the allotted space, my car was surrounded by other cars in the morning and need to inform the attendant to remove the cars. Wasted about 15 minutes of time there.

Other facilities
Went for foot reflexology and it was one of the better ones. The guy (Jimmy) could tune his strength accordingly (you know some cannot  no matter how many times you ‘request’ for a softer massage) and the 15 minute of shoulder/back massage really relieved my backache and returned the spring to my steps. Only RM55 for 1 hour, RM65 if you request for in-room reflexology. Swimming pool was nice with Jacuzzi function but start it and it will last 30 minutes, so think before you press that button.

Location
It is strategically located, within a few minutes’ walk to E&O Hotel (if you decide to have their buffet dinner instead) and also within easy access to the Heritage areas such as Khoo Kongsi and the Peranakan House. Walk down the road and already you could see street arts on Muntri Road.

Conclusion
Nice neat hotel, good location, great in house facilities (foot reflexology and Kirishima restaurant), ok pricing.

Room Tip: Get higher floors and face the sea as you can get the sunrise. Ask for the seaview rooms.
3 Thank LNZJ

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

My team and I are very happy to note that you and family have enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for your sharing the experience on Trip Avisor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.

With kind regards
Kuching
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Having stayed at other Cititel a long time ago I picked up the courage to stay at Cititel Penang because of the location. Not only was I completely satisfied with the location, I felt that my recent stay was beyond expectation. It was good value for money, the staff were very warm, friendly and most of all, very genuine. I appreciated the 4 bottles of water (others usually provide 2) on the hot days, the free printing of my boarding pass at the coffeehouse and smooth check in and out. I also dropped off the keys for the rental car at the hotel itself with minimal hassle and took the taxi provided by the hotel to the airport. Everything was smooth and stress free.

3 Thank Alcinito
Dear Guest

Selamat Sejahtera and thank you for having chosen to stay at Cititel Penang.

I am most delighted to read your encouraging review – thank you for your gracious comments of our team’s services, hotel location and facilities.

My team and I are truly glad to know that you have had an enjoyable time here.

Thank you for writing and we look forward to welcoming you and family back again for yet another fulfilling stay when you are in Penang again... see you soon.

With best wishes and kind regards
Seattle
Reviewed 12 June 2014

The hotel is located in a good neighborhood with some 24 hour eateries nearby. The lobby is modern. The check-in and housekeeping staff were good.

The room we got was shabby and dingy. We got a non-smoking room on the supposedly non-smoking sixth floor. The first thing you smell when you get off the sixth floor is cigarette smoke. The room and or ventilation also smelled smoke.

The bathroom was really "tired" with mildew present as a common feature and joints (grout or caulk) cracked and in dire need of repair.

Room Tip: Avoid due to dominant smell of smoke and shabby rooms.
2 Thank CentralVoyage

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay and the positive note on our team members. I regret to note your discomfort in our rooms; my apologies- as we do not have a totally smoke-free environment in our hotel, our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams are constantly looking into improving the air quality within the hotel, especially that of our public areas and our guestrooms.

I am pleased to share that the bathroom in our guestrooms are presently being upgraded and I hope will be to your liking when you next stay with us.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write as it is through your feedback that we can continuously strive to improve our facilities and services and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you and family back again for another stay – do contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

With kind regards
Reviewed 9 June 2014

I book this hotel based on the good location, hotel is located along jalan penang road. Hotel staff were very friendly and nice. Got a free upgrade from superior to deluxe and i got a high floor room with a sea view, the view was awesome but you can see the western cemetery. I personally find that the room seems small for a deluxe room, cant imagine if it is superior and standard. But the size of room didn't really bother me with that, as the location is just too good. There is a bus stop opposite that has free CAT shuttle services within georgetown. There are also many eateries near the hotel, there is a "Kheng Pin Cafe" located just right side of the hotel that serve very good lor bak. and also the hotel is within walking distance to Lebuh Keng Kwee and Cintra Street, where they serve chedol and chinese food.

1 Thank Lenice Y
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this review, 14 June 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I am very glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Yes, our location is indeed one of our plus points and many of our guests are always surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, be it on foot, by trishaw, car or public transport.

I sincerely hope you headed for home with pleasant memories of Penang and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang on your next visit.

With kind regards and best wishes,
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel is located smack in the middle of the city with facilities and amenities within walking distance. Reasonably priced with friendly and efficient service. Room is clean and spacious but needs refurbishment. The air-conditioning is getting too old to function efficiently. Luckily there's a fan but it is not speed adjustable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank RicDeBigg

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is most heartening to read the review of your recent stay with us – thank you for your gracious comments of our team’s services and hotel location.

Regret to note that you were not informed of the speed dial for our fan, it is located at the underside of the bedside table. I sincerely hope that this did not detract you from the overall enjoyment of your visit and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes and kind regards