“Good place for the price - good location”
Review of Cititel Penang

Cititel Penang
Ranked #20 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 24 August 2014

In this price range this is a reasonable hotel. Friendly staff and helpful. Hotel itself is aged and likely needs renovating. I did not have any serious issues with the hotel. A few smaller items: water in the sink/bath was occasionally brown, however I found this true at the airport lounge as well. I have 3 wireless devices (PC, phone, tablet), but WiFi only allowed 2. There is no safe in the room, thus I carried my PC/tablet everywhere.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Penang and for sharing your review on Trip Advisor.

I regret that there was some maintenance work which resulted in the water being not at its usual best quality when you were here. However, I am glad that all has been resolved.

I apologise for the inconvenience of you having to carry your PC and tablet around during your stay. You may wish to book into our Superior Room on your next visit as they will be equipped with in-room safe soon.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your feedback with us.

With kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Cititel Penang

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

The workers were nice and polite.the area was nice too. but however in the room; the pillowcase was smelly, the water from the tab was brownish. the available car parks for the guests was in small number. My experience there was not so good as I hope it would be.

Stayed: August 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for the review of our hotel during your recent stay with us. I regret to note that we were not up to your expectations and would like to assure you that this is not our usual standard of operations. I have taken up the issues you raised with the relevant department heads and will ensure that this does not recur,

Thank you for writing as it is through these feedback that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back again soon and allow us to make amends to ensure that you enjoy a more memorable stay the next time.

Please do not hesitate to contact me at gm@cititelpenang.com if I may be of further assistance.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We choose the hotel as we had meetings to attend in the city center. The staff were courteous and very helpful. Everyone we met were smiling and friendly. We were allocated a room which had just been renovated (apparently we were first guest after the renovation work). The room was clean. There is a ceiling fan set at high speed and we couldn't find the remote control to reduce the fan speed so we switched it of. Access to the car park was a little cumbersome and drivers have to be very patient. Cars were parked along the two lane ramp leading to the car park, reducing it into a single lane. Because of that, driving into and getting out of the car park can be tricky and dangerous especially when you have cars going up and down the ramp at the same time. The hotel should not allow patrons to park along the ramp. Also there is no space in front of the hotel to stop the car and unload the luggage (and re-load the luggage after check-out) as even that little space in front of the hotel was used to park cars.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ka638

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for your review of our hotel during your recent stay in Penang and am glad that you found our team members courteous and helpful.

Regret to learn that you were not informed of the fan speed control (presently located under the bedside table). I am pleased to share that we are in the midst of relocating the speed control to a more visible spot and hope that this will no longer be an issue.

I am sorry to note that we did not have sufficient car park space during your stay due to high occupancy and full function events here. I have personally cautioned our car park operator to refrain from allowing guests to park along the car park ram during such times and will ensure that it is followed through.

Thank you very much for your observations and feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Cititel Hotel, Georgetown is a great hotel, it's nice and clean,you will find the staff courteous and helpful. If you are looking for a Hotel that is right in the middle of all, this Hotel will fit the bill. You can walk right outside the Hotel and find some really good restaurants within walking distance. British Pubs, Chinese, Indian, even hawker stalls selling a great burger, it's all here. If you're into shopping, just a few blocks away are several large markets selling just about anything. Once the night falls, just turn left outside the Hotel and walk 2 blocks to Upper Penang Road. Here you will find all the clubs and nightlife Georgetown is famous for. But don't discount the Hotels "Citi Bar" here you can get some great Martinis, a variety of flavors for a great price. I stayed several days here and it was a great experience and a perfect spot to explore Georgetown.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Robert D
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I am indeed delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and am glad to note that you have done quite a bit of exploring whilst here.

My team members and I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang on your next visit and our sincere thanks once again for sharing your experience with us.

With kind regards,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The room itself is clean and the staff is polite.An average hotel in great location. It is just a walking distance to a few popular attraction like the famous Penang Road cendol, Chowrasta Market., where you can buy and eat a cheap yet original taste of Penang Foods, Penang Bazaar sell mostly Muslims attires and local Kebaya and if you walk further more there's a mall in the other opposite side of road.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank DianaWangdi
TonyGoh-GM, General Manager at Cititel Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

I am very glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for giving us the full score on Trip Advisor.

Yes, our location is indeed one of our plus points and many of our guests are pleasantly surprised at how convenient it is to move around from here for shopping, dining and even sight-seeing, be it on foot, by trishaw, car or public transport.

I sincerely hope you headed for home with pleasant memories of Penang and my team and I look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Cititel Penang on your next visit.

With kind regards and best wishes,

Reviewed 15 August 2014

very comfortable hotel,with a very clean room..and friendly staff...free wifi..as the location of hotel is great and nearer to main tourist attraction...used to stay here whenever travelling to penang...

Room Tip: request for room facing sea,as the morning view is breathtaking..
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mokshagurl

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

It is most heartening to read the review of your recent stay with us – thank you for your gracious comments of our team’s services, hotel location and facilities.

My team and I are truly glad to know that you have had an enjoyable time here and we look forward to welcoming you and family back to stay with us again on your next visit to Penang,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

Arrived at the Cititel and attempted to check in, like you do. Although it was well past the earliest check-in time we where invited to wait in the bar area. 30 minutes later and still no key for our room so we decided to investigate. Numerous times the check-in guy tried to offer us an upgrade so I used my detective skills it quickly realise they had overbooked and there was no room ready.

Finally they had a key so we headed up to the 6th floor, stepped over a mound of wires that ran the entire length of the corridor some 30 or so rooms. Opened the door to a pit! Hairs on the stained bed-sheets, bogeys on the wall and bin still not emptied. The room stank and there was dust everywhere! No way where we stopping in a room that was clearly next to be renovated.

We called down for the manager who came up 15 minutes later. At this point we'd been at the hotel for over an hour. I explained the state of the room (65$) and showed the filth around the bed. I moved the bed to find someone spectacles a pen and done used tissue - eww!!

Asked for another room, it was next door. Explained we where leaving and another 45 minutes later got the upgraded room which still wasn't great.

The manager was nice following this so I'm going to give the Penang Cititel 3/5!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jpheywood

Selamat Sejahtera from Cititel Penang.

Thank you for sharing your comments about your stay with us a year ago. I am disheartened to note that our hotel was not up to your expectations when you visited.

I regret that our 6th floor was deemed a mess at the time you checked in; this is because we were installing the CCTV cameras on our guest room floors for the added security of our house guests.

My sincere apologies for the lack of attention to details in your room – please be assured that this is not our usual standards of service that we maintain here at Cititel Penang and I have personally spoken to my Housekeeper to ensure that this does not recur.

I appreciate your writing in as it is through your comments that we can continuously strive to improve and ensure that our guests enjoy their stay with us.

We look forward to be given another opportunity to make amends and look forward to welcoming you back to Cititel Penang again soon.