The E&O set the tone for our honeymoon vacation, leaving my my wife and I to declare Penang, "The Friendliest and Tastiest Place on Earth."
We stayed in the new building. The staff in both wings of the hotel was incredibly friendly, attentive and helpful. They were immediately inquisitive of our plans during our honeymoon; they went out of their way to recommend food and activities outside of the hotel, and they were very reassuring of the plans we had already made. The staff wanted to ensure that all aspects of our stay in Penang were perfect. We have NEVER received such service and sincere interest in all of our travels. It never felt pretentious, fake or intrusive like so many high-end hotel staff acts. You could tell the staff was extremely well trained in communicating at ease with the customers.
Our room overlooked the strait and the coastline up to the Gurney area, a beautiful view. Must I complain about something? If so, the complaint was that perhaps the room was too new. It looked like the room was very recently completed -- the room immediately next to ours was still under construction and looked marvelous when we peeked in -- and perhaps some construction dust had settled between the last cleaning and our check in. It was barely noticeable. Ridiculous thing to complain about, right?
The room was exquisitely decorated in Transitional style, a great mix of British colonial and tropical while paying tribute to the local culture -- all tied together in an extremely classy way. Each of the photos and paintings on the walls were worth stopping and looking at.
The in-room espresso machine was an awesome touch compared to the normal cheap drip coffee machine.
The 5th floor (or was it 6th floor) outdoor area is fantastic. The infinity pool overlooks the Strait of Malacca, and is positioned in such a way that the building shields the pool from the extremely strong equatorial sun for much of the day. Don't worry, though. You will still get plenty of sun for a nice tan, trust me. It was a great area for my wife and I to lounge after multiple days of 12+ hour day trips eating and seeing all that the island has to offer.
We did not eat at the restaurant(s). Although they were well-reviewed, we opted to take in unaffiliated local cuisine for all of our meals. We did order room service on our last morning due to an extremely early checkout. It was brought up on time, and each of the dishes of our simple breakfast were perfect. The warm items even came in a warming compartment on the butler's cart, keeping the warm dishes of our breakfast nice and warm until we finished the cold dishes.
I cannot express enough gratitude to the staff for making the Penang leg of our honeymoon perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Eastern & Oriental Hotel is the embodiment of both a special time and a special place. For well over a century, this remarkable hotel - known simply as 'The E&O' to generations of travellers - has stood as a testament to the grand elegance of the British colonial era. In many ways, it has also come to represent Penang itself; its story inextricably woven into the island's history, its traditions an indelible part of many a traveller's treasured memory, its name synonymous with the magical island once known as The Pearl Of the Orient. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Agoda, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Eastern & Oriental Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eastern And Oriental Hotel
- Eastern Oriental Georgetown
- Eastern & Oriental Hotel Penang/George Town