“Great pool but confusing wing ? but maybe not so confusing”

Eastern & Oriental Hotel
Ranked #10 of 84 Hotels in George Town
“Great pool but confusing wing ? but maybe not so confusing”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I must say the way they talk about the new wings and old wings confused me and kind of mislead me to think the 2 wings are so far apart that I decide to pay for an upgrade to move to the old wing as i reached the old wing first. But after that I realise the places are actually very close, must say I am not happy with the way they handle the selling of the old wings.

I do however like the hotel and the pools a lot. beautiful hotel. 2 things that I will like to recommend for changes, 1, the shower foam etc.The quality is lousy for such a nice hotel. 2. The bar doesnt allow kids to enter after certain timing. I think this is not necessary as if parents want to enjoy a drink, they cant be leaving the kids in the room or outside the bar right ? All parents will definitely know how to make sure the kids wont be sipping the alcohol. Just think the rule is strange and silly.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lycheetini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (997)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Geelong
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a great hotel in a good location,a breakfast buffet was included in our stay and is good value with a large variety of foods. We stayed on the 12th floor in the new annexe and complimentary drinks and snacks were available in the Planters lounge between 6pm and 7pm each night and the team at Planters lounge and Sarkies were so friendly and helpful. We also had dinner at Sarkies buffet where the chef came over and explained the different foods available and had it cooked in front of us to our liking. The room was clean and serviced morning and evening, the bathroom was very large with a rain shower and separate bath with two vanities and plenty of room to hang your clothes, slippers, robes and even a sarong for use. We could not fault our stay and congratulations to the hotel staff for being so friendly and helpful,

4 Thank JennyH116
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the new Victory Annexe. It was nice but I wasn't entirely bowled over. The marble lobby and dark wood furniture created the targeted opulent colonial-era atmosphere but I felt it was all a bit superficial. As another reviewer has pointed out, there were so many light switches that I never got the hang of the lighting and while the view from the balcony was of the sea, I couldn't see sunshine unless I was hanging off the balustrade so it was a little claustrophobic. Despite the huge open spaces in the corridor I could hear word for word what my neighbours were saying.

The 'international buffet' breakfast that I had in the main restaurant was reasonably good. The breadth of the spread was impressive but I felt rushed by the servers and didn't receive much guidance as to what was or wasn't available.

In general the service I received was good. The doormen/orderlies/"butlers" were always ridiculously enthusiastically friendly but the service I got from reception was mixed. I asked them to book a taxi to the airport and they weren't sure how long it would take or how much it would cost. They suggested "around 45 RM" and "45 minutes". I paid 60 RM for a 20 mimute journey at 6 am. They really should know this I think.

All in all this is a nice hotel with super friendly and helpful staff and they offer good value for money but it wasn't as slick or polished as I had expected.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank JSW390
Bowral, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We had two suites in the Victory wing, after our initial confusion at booking in all was sorted out extremely well by a gracious and attentive staff. A non booked lunch for 18 family and friends as well as the 6 of us was easily accommodated by Dean and his staff at Sharkies. Nothing was too much trouble, with particular assistance being given to older and less able in the group.
We will be back and have already referred friends to the E & O.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Roger H
Sydney
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have always enjoyed staying at the E&O in the Heritage Wing.

My wife and I were interested in staying at the new Victory Annex to see what they had created. First impressions were that this building most certainly had the same styling which makes the Hertiage Wing so impressive but of course it is a modern version. The rooms also continued a modern but faithful E&O style.

Check in was friendly and efficient. We arrived early and our room was not ready so we were given a pass to the Planters Lounge Club area to relax with a complimentary coffee.

After a short wait we were taken to our room on the 11th floor. The room balcony had a view of the pool area and the strait towards Butterworth. The room was large but the bed was not so large and it was quite firm but tolerable. There was a large wardrobe with a safe and ample hanging storage and drawer space. This also contained an iron and ironing board. There was a cabinet which contained a TV and a mini fridge with complimentary soft drinks as well as tea and coffee making facilities. The room also contained a small writing desk with power points for charging computers, phones, etc and 1 lounge chair. The bathroom was quite large with a large rain style shower head. There was a his and her's vanity outside the bathroom but the lighting in this area was quite poor. For us the air conditioner needed to be set to low fan with 23 degree setting but when set the room was quite comfortable.

The complimentary evening drinks and canapes were provided in the Planters Lounge between 5 and 6 pm. Available drinks were wines, tiger beer, 4 spirits, soft drinks, juices and water. There was a reasonable selection of canapes which varied each day as well as sliced meats and cheeses. The food did not impress us and the one white wine was not to our liking. On the last day we skipped the club for a few cocktails at Farquhar's Bar, which we both enjoyed.

We had a High Tea on 2 occasions at the 1885 dining room. The plates of sandwiches, scones and cakes were quite good value. Breakfast was provided in the Planters Lounge club area as well as Sarkies. The main breakfast for both wings is in the Sarkies dining room in the new building. This area had many food preparation areas devoted to fresh juices, roti and curries, char kuey teow and other fried noodles, omlettes, etc. The area also had a large display area containing breads, pastries, bain maries containing the normal mushrooms, tomatoes, sausages, etc, etc. This is the best breakfast buffet I have ever experienced with a huge range of foods mostly tasting as good as it looked. The only problem was getting out of the chairs and waddling out of the dining room.

Checkout was quick and problem free.

1 Thank Great_Explorer
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

We came upon this gem of a hotel by pure chance. We were looking for accommodation in Batu ferengi and could not find anything to our liking. Looking further afield we were directed to this hotel by trip advisor. The reviews by other clients to this hotel had been very positive and this gave us the incentive to book our stay at E & O. From the moment we checked in we felt that this was a hotel beyond exception. We stayed in the victory annexe with an ocean view . The room was beautifully laid out. Large bed, flat screen tv with many movie channels, mini bar with free soft drinks, large , spacious bathroom with bathtub and walk-in shower. A balcony to sit out and admire the view. Being a guest in the victory annexe suite also entitled you to have complimentary drinks in plantar lounge with various snacks . They were very generous with provision of beverages, white wine, red wine, a range of spirits and delicious hot and cold snacks. The staff were all helpful and friendly. The buffet breakfast certainly didn't leave you feeling hungry. There was a wide variety of dishes to suit all palates. There is an infinity pool which was very refreshing to use after a busy day of sight seeing. The gym was very well equipped. The hotel is very well situated within walking distance to heritage area. Taxis are cheap and plentiful. Check in and out a breeze. I would recommend this hotel to those seeking class and comfort at a reasonable price. I can't wait to come back !

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Royston22
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I have stayed at the E&O Penang several times over the years. My choice was always a Heritage Wing suite. This time we decided to try the new Victory Annexe for a 3 night stay. To sum it up: never again!

We arrived by private car and drove to the main entrance only to be told that the Victory Annexe has a different entrance and reception. The duty manager accompanied us on the long walk. There is no information on the website or the reservation confirmation informing the guest.

The architect and the interior designer must have been the lowest bidders. The approach to the rooms has the feeling of a hospital. The rooms are not sound proof. The next door guests and those walking to their rooms can be heard. The room door needs to be pulled hard in closing, causing a loud bang. A third of the floor space is dedicated to the bathroom and the two vanities. These are nice but the hotel saves on shampoo and shower gel only providing one set instead of two.

The room furniture looks stylish but is in fact of a cheap quality. The cupboard drawers slide out too far and fall out. The writing desk is very small. There is no table to speak of. A tiny board around a corner lamp hardly qualifies. The flat-screen TV is very small. There is an espresso machine, which is a nice touch. The cups provided are too large for this machine and in danger of falling off. We had to repeatedly ask for espresso sachets to be replaced, while the complimentary soft drinks were never replaced.

Moving on: The lighting! There are many light switches, some with dimmers, in the room. We never really figured out which switch does what. The air-conditioning works fine, but the air is so dry that we had red eyes in the morning. (one can't open the balcony door because that switches off the air-conditioning.

One has a fine view of the sea from the balcony, if you are standing up. If you sit down on one of the two chairs you can't see very well because the balustrade is made up of thick concrete pillars directly at eye level.

Complimentary breakfast is available at the Planters Lounge (limited choice) or the main restaurant with a good spread. The noise from Chinese tour groups is annoying.

Service was generally good from all staff. Nevertheless I am sad to say that the Victory Annexe is at best a very high priced 4-star hotel.

Room Tip: Try the Heritage Wing