“4 star hotel at less than 4 star prices”

Evergreen Laurel Hotel
Ranked #28 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 7 November 2013

The hotel is rated as 5 stars but in reality, is more like a 4 star. The prices when booked online are pretty reasonable. The room is adequate, clean with comfortable beds and pillows. The bathroom was a reasonable size. We had asked for an extra bed and it fitted in nicely with still quite a lot of space. However, the furnishings were generally old, but clean, We had the room without breakfast, and again, I would suggest this option, as the hotel is on Gurney Drive, a short walk away from many local eating places where a wide variety of foods are available (at all times of the day). The hawker food is not bad nearby, although the locals may disagree! A longer walk (20-30 mins) would take you to 2 malls on Gurney Drive, Paragon and Gurney Plaza, with the standard chain stores and coffee outlets. There is free Wifi (pretty fast) and free parking if you have a car. Would be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are more expensive than the "city" views - you pays your money, you takes y...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank yss97

Reviewed 4 November 2013

I revisited this sea facing hotel after a lapse of few years. The quality of service is still good although this property is aging and things like the room air-conditioning not working good, the door to the wardrobe could not be closed completely and the light was glaring that disturb my sleep. Location is good, a short 10 min walk to the Paragon and Gurney Plaza shopping mall and the popular Gurney Road hawker food centre at the end of the road. Along the stretch of road, you can find a good selection of eateries from café, kopi tiam (coffee shop), food court to restaurants and this give you a good choice to dine from breakfast to dinner to supper. Complimentary Wifi in the room as well as in the public area.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor sea facing room that give you a good view of the sea.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ctsim
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here in october 2013, and it was really good in all aspects.

Breakfast was plentiful, the rooms were great with free wifi in all areas. The staff were very helpful and could not have done more for us!

I will certainly stay here again. This hotel is comparable with the bayview around the corner. Just not quite as centrally located. Costs about 15 ringgit using the hotel taxi to get to anywhere in georgetown.

3  Thank benblinkau
Reviewed 28 October 2013

First and foremost, I was totally disappointed with the service and the hotel room.

On the first night when I checked in to the hotel, the toilet bowl flushing system was malfunctioning, water kept flowing nonstop. I reported it to the housekeeping, and a mechanic/engineer was sent to 'fix' it. I, then, realized that he didn't fix it at all, but just turned off the water tap beneath the toilet bowl to STOP the water from flowing. I made a complaint again. Another engineer was sent to fix it. Is this a 5-star hotel that i am lodging?

On the second day after a long and tired day, I came back to the hotel room, but notice that towels were not in sight. I requested to have the towels sent to my room when I made my way out for dinner at 7pm that evening, However when I came back to the room at around 10:45pm, the towels were still not seen. I called the housekeeping again, this time a sour-faced Chinese lady sent some towels to me with no greeting at all. No, it doesn't deserve a 5-star service hotel status.

On that same night again, the toilet bowl flushing system malfunctioned again. No, this time I didn't call the housekeeping or make any complaint, because I decided not to come back to this hotel again.

I was a loyal customer to Evergreen Laurel Hotel for more than 7 years. From today onwards, I will avoid staying in this hotel by all means.

3  Thank HLok
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This was my second visit to the hotel and had a little more time there. This time was able to have dinner in the bar one night. Wanted something quick, wasn't expecting much, but was very surprised at the taste. This time was in a different room type which was even better than before. Bed was probably the best I had during this business trip. Room was clean and big. Very elegant hotel. Only issue was the programs on the TV. Not much selection for English speaking folks.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Gerry W
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Booked it online through agoda.com. Just RM5XX for 2 nights stay inclusive of breakfast. A very reasonable price for a 5-star hotel in Malaysia. Probably for some people, this hotel may not up to 5-star hotel standard, but for my wife and I, we enjoyed our stay.

Room is big and comfortable. You can choose either sea view room or city view room but sea view is slightly more expensive. Free wifi and free LAN available in room. 2 cans of coke provided for free (one time only, no replenishment). 3 apples provided for free daily. Daily newspaper on the doorstep. They even provided alarm clock and bathroom scale. What we like most is you can get ice cubes as many as you like for free at their pantry. We made our iced coffee after a hot afternoon walk. Other in-room facilities include: adjustable air conditioner, hairdryer, refrigerator, daily bottled water, ironing facilities, electronic safe, LCD TV, bathtub, kettle, etc.

Swimming pool, sauna, jacuzzi, steamroom, spa, etc are accessible at level 2.

Location wise, it's along Gurney Drive area, short distance to George Town (still need to drive though). Popular shopping centres around the hotel include Gurney Paragon & Gurney Plaza. Popular attractions nearby include Dhammikarama Burmese Temple and Wat Chayamangkalaram Thai Temple. Famous Bangkok Lane Mee Goreng (fried noodles) is nearby too.

What deserved to praise most is their buffet breakfast. Definitely value for money. Lots of varieties to choose from. Food quality is very good. Staff service is great. Initially, our plan was to take early breakfast in hotel, then go for food hunting around George Town streets but we failed our plan because we were too full after taking hotel breakfast! We only tried about 70% of all breakfast choices but our stomachs were already full. Too many choices, too delicious, irresistible!

Cons:
1) Less TV channels to choose from. Not really a concern for us because we spent most of our time outside the hotel. But, probably a concern for others. So, I just noted it down here.
2) Lack of shower sandals in bathroom. Bathroom floor may be cold and slippery, so a pair of shower sandals is necessary.
3) Check-in/Check-out process takes around 10-15 minutes. For us, it's a bit too slow. Staffs are friendly anyway.

Room Tip: Choose room that is located at higher floor and far away from lifts (quieter). Select sea view or ci...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank padawan0223
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I stayed here for two nights recently, about two years after the last time. I found that the hotel facilities did not deteriorate and the service has improved. Checking in and checking out were hassle free and the staff were attentive. Breakfast was value for money. There are local food stalls just beside the hotel but they did not open early enough for my breakfast and closed too early for dinner. There is a shopping mall within walking distance, according to my colleague. I noticed that the road in front of the hotel had been turned into a one way street; this helped in getting out of the hotel to the rest of Penang and it the ferry terminal. Rooms on this side face the sea. My room was cheaper so it faced the town, which was not bad actually.

1  Thank lengcw