“Bedbugs”
Review of Love Lane Inn

Love Lane Inn
Ranked #148 of 173 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for one night and literally woke up with bedbugs crawling all over us. I have experienced begbugs before but never so many that they were visibly crawling all over us. There was no one up to help us out in the middle of the night so we stole a key to another room (it was so hot and the AC was broken in the other room) and slept there till morning. The next day the owner was like "Yeah, its a never-ending story of bedbugs in that room, I try to get rid of them and they come right back!" Room 2P, I believe.
Also, the owner and other guests smoke in the downstairs area of the guest house. Not our taste.
However, it was cheap and we met some great folks staying there. That being said I wouldn't go back. Check out the Old Penang Inn across the street instead. It looked nice.

Room Tip: Don't go to the "P" rooms! Bedbugs!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Megan G
There are newer reviews for Love Lane Inn

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Love Lane Inn is a great backpacker hostel, its very cheap and very conveniently located.

I've stayed here a few times over the last 10 years and the hospitality has always been great.

This time however the main guy behind the desk was consistently lazy and rude to travellers staying at the hotel and to myself .

The main 'chill out' area is next to the reception and I witnessed him rudely turn away new business because they requested to see the room before they paid. I can understand it is not always possible to accommodate this and other requests but it is the manner in which he goes about it.

Unfortunately I will not be staying here in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Igerguy
Reviewed 10 May 2014

very comfort with the owner, funny and very kind person. and that is the PLUS PLUS service that every body needs. i'll make sure that you'll get what your exactly need here. hospitality. :) :) :) :) :) :) see you again ko..!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Tiarasuher
Reviewed 27 April 2014

The good thing about the hostel is that it's the cheapest one I could find in the neighborhood. That's about the only positive thing. Oh, and if you catch the owner in the correct mood, he's really friendly and talkative; unfortunately, that was only one brief time during my stay. Other than that, he was rude to me and others.

The hostel seems to attract the type of guests that are, to put it bluntly, extremely boring. The hostel offers a TV room, and while I was coming and going through the hostel to go explore George Town there was always a crowd of the same people just sitting there watching TV. There was one other guy who was always on his laptop in the lobby. There was even one other guy who, over the course of three days, there was only one time that I went in the dorm room that he wasn't lying in bed.

The quality is what you'd expect for the cheapest place in town (not the cleanest or the most comfortable), but it isn't bad. If they could just fill it with people who wanted to do more than watch TV and an owner who was either pleasant or absent more of the time, this place would be significantly better!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank AlnAbroad
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I consider this basically what a backpacker hostel should be - cheap and friendly. Sure it looks totally dodgy when you first see it, but the staff are super friendly, and happy to give you whatever advice you need, and the other travellers are generally a good crew. You want to know why you don't see many good reviews on here, because the types of people that stay here are the ones not usually travelling with laptops. I kinda felt like the odd person out, as I don't have dreadlocks.

Many people staying there had checked in for one night, and ended up staying at least a week (guilty). One guy had been staying for over a year - that's how awesome the vibe is here. I met a few people who where repeat visitors - doing their visa run from Thailand. They had nothing but great things to say about the place.

Would I stay here if I was carrying around expensive equipment and lots of cash - no. Would I recommend it to any 'true' backpacker who want the cheapest and most chilled place in town - hell yeah!

Never had an issue with bed-bugs, but I smother myself in mozzie spray before I go to sleep (in cheap backpackers), so maybe I just didn't notice them.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We checked in, everything was fine, around 11pm as we were getting ready for bed we saw a bed bug - backpacker's worst nightmare! We packed up our things, really not looking forward to trying to find another place to stay at 11pm, but we can't stay.

Head down to the lobby where we try to, quietly, talk to the owner of the guesthouse. To our surprise he gets mad at us, refuses to refund our money, and accuses us of bringing in the bed bugs.

We returned the next morning, hoping things had calmed down a bit, but not at all. More yelling by the owner, this time he says that he has cleaned the room and didn't find a single bug - but if he had he would given us a refund....if only I would have known, I would have brought him the one we found last night.

Also, we saw a rat run behind the "free breakfast" counter. This wouldn't have been a deal breaker as we were planning to skip the breakfast, but bed bugs are.

Bottom line: rude and belligerent owner at a place with bed bugs - would NOT recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Erica R
Reviewed 14 February 2014

Owners are very friendly and helpful. My bed was infested with bed bugs. I heard from several other guests that their beds had bugs too. After asking around, the problem seems to date back to at least December. Hate to write a bad review as the owners are good people, but bed begs can spread easily among backpackers and they deserve to be warned.

• Stayed: February 2014