“Pretty nasty, but could be worse”
Review of Love Lane Inn

Love Lane Inn
Ranked #146 of 169 George Town B&B and Inns
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Pretty nasty, but could be worse”
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Love lane inn is by no means the worst hostel I've ever stayed in, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it!

My girlfriend and I, along with another friend, stayed for one night. The check in process was the slowest, most tedious ritual I have ever experienced - however the old guy checking us in was friendly enough.

We opted for the fan dorm for RM16 which is pretty cheap. The room was obviously pretty warm but we're used to it - other guests were not!

The big problem here is the cleanliness; my girlfriend and I were savaged by bedbugs! When we removed our sheet we could see loads of them crawling all over the mattress! Other guests had made the same complaints. The toilets are pretty gross, but not the worst I've seen.

We checked out in the morning and mentioned the bed bugs to the staff who acted very surprised. However by this point we had read the previous reviews on here and we're aware this is an ongoing issue that they must be well aware of.

We switched to Red Inn 56 which is directly next door - RM4 more per night and really nice and clean.

Interestingly later that day we saw the owner of Love Lane Inn stood on the street with our mattress trying to pick the bed bugs off by hand!

• Stayed July 2014

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I have been traveling for 6 months and I have just found the worst place ever to stay.
- Dirty
-Bedbugs
-Smelly
-Beds very uncomfortable
-Bedding barely washed
and the worst is that Asian guy with a pony tail (he is either the owner or the son of the owner), he is the most inadequate person I have ever met, rude, unhelpful (woudl just ignore you when you have a request).........

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Guillaume L

Travellers are raving about these George Town hotels

Hannover, Germany
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We weren't able to sleep the whole night through as the whole place is infected with bedbugs. Just avoid it! After escaping my room I tried to sleep downstairs in the TV corner on the sofas, but the pest was everywhere, visibly crawling over you and on the floor.... Staff wouldn't bother about giving a discount for the spoiled night, as "the owner is in Indonesia". Shabby, unfriendly place. Don't even think about spending a night there, honestly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Knud2014
Reviewed 11 June 2014

I've done my fair share of backpacking - long before smartphones, iTunes, tablets etc... but this place ranks as a real dive, hole, grimy shack even by standards from way back.

Basic mixed dorms which had a slight prison feel to it. Staff who don't give a hoot, ok - it's a hostel but at least provide some service!

Communal showers and toilets - one shower included a sink type area which included a turtle. Sums it up really!

Yes, it's a cheap stay. Don't get caught up in the 'too cool for school' type attitude of some by getting the cheapest room, pay a bit more and there are argains to be found.

Also - Love Lane is an apt description of the place's location. Give some of the locals a wide berth!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Steven C
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed here for one night and literally woke up with bedbugs crawling all over us. I have experienced begbugs before but never so many that they were visibly crawling all over us. There was no one up to help us out in the middle of the night so we stole a key to another room (it was so hot and the AC was broken in the other room) and slept there till morning. The next day the owner was like "Yeah, its a never-ending story of bedbugs in that room, I try to get rid of them and they come right back!" Room 2P, I believe.
Also, the owner and other guests smoke in the downstairs area of the guest house. Not our taste.
However, it was cheap and we met some great folks staying there. That being said I wouldn't go back. Check out the Old Penang Inn across the street instead. It looked nice.

Room Tip: Don't go to the "P" rooms! Bedbugs!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Megan G
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Love Lane Inn is a great backpacker hostel, its very cheap and very conveniently located.

I've stayed here a few times over the last 10 years and the hospitality has always been great.

This time however the main guy behind the desk was consistently lazy and rude to travellers staying at the hotel and to myself .

The main 'chill out' area is next to the reception and I witnessed him rudely turn away new business because they requested to see the room before they paid. I can understand it is not always possible to accommodate this and other requests but it is the manner in which he goes about it.

Unfortunately I will not be staying here in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Bandung, Indonesia
Reviewed 10 May 2014

very comfort with the owner, funny and very kind person. and that is the PLUS PLUS service that every body needs. i'll make sure that you'll get what your exactly need here. hospitality. :) :) :) :) :) :) see you again ko..!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends