“Coffee on the town” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of China House

China House
Ranked #2 of 31 Dessert in George Town
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Coffee on the town”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a massive place including a restaurant, a pastry and cake area, a library, an art gallery, a bar,...Very impressive and well located in the heart of Georgetown. The atmosphere is pleasant and the decoration very nice. I was told that they had a new fusion menu but I went only for cake and coffee. The choice was massive. I took the tiramisu with a black coffee. The waiter was slow and not very friendly. The cake was tasty and fresh and the coffee good. My bill was a bit too expensive for what it was but overall I quite satisfied

• Visited May 2014

• Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
“Bar, exhibition center, jazz club, coffeehouse. It is a place you must visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

The china house is a must visit place in George Town. I didn’t see many backpackers around nor westerners, the place is rather visited by Asian tourist and art loving locals. The place is huge. It is a coffeehouse, a restaurant, a jazz bar as well an exhibition center. In the middle there is a garden with a little pool, looks real relaxing and quite spot. During my stay I went there twice. It looked to me that the big variety of cakes adduct specially the ladies. I tried a coffee one day, to be specific a cappuccino and so far this was the best I could get in Malaysia. (I had to flash 11 ringgit for it which is practically double to the other places). One night I visited the jazz bar, which is an old school sit down bar with limited seats but it has its flair. The prices are correspondingly high to the big amount of visitors and the service in unfortunately not that good. You cannot expect a smile or a friendly waiter or waitress, rather a stressed dude who rashes to you to take your order and disappears in a second. Anyhow as I said at the beginning, this is not the place I would have lunch or dinner as it is too hectic for such occasion, but for a cappuccino on your way to the jetties or for a beer at late evening this a place is must to visit. Oh I didn’t mentioned, this place is very close to the CF food court (you must eat there) as well to the artistic sculptures or pictures or whatever they are which are all over the city but the main concentration is around china house.

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Not worthy ”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

Food (bento and juice) are overrated. I think they are not worthy for the price.
The service is bad, wifi not working. Staff just told me to try again and again without doing anything. Totally disappointed!

acg1960, Owner at China House, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
We are sorry for the experience you had during your last visit, shame I didnt manage to see you to be able to assist you, especially with the wifi- which we have just had fixed with new passwords so its more efficient.
Do try to give us another chance- I am sure we can make you feel differently about us

Please let me know if you come in- alison
Greater London, United Kingdom
“Cosy and a bit of home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Personally, I love is place. I am a massive fan of places that just have something a bit special about them and this is one of them.

BUILDING/LOCATION: it is in he old town, easy to find, near he fire station.
The building actually stretches throughout a whole block and so creates a great atmosphere with a cafe as you first enter where you can have lunch and dinner.

They call it he fine dining menu but is very casual still, this section is to he left just before the cakes table (Which is AMAZING) there are some long tables and also a couple of private dining areas.

There is en a wine bar which is so cosy with dim lighting and comfy sofas just to relax in...

Then the open court yard with a little pool and beautifully decorated trees adds a really romantic area.

The back of the restaurant cafe is a bar with tables where they have live bands, comedians and more every night. You can also order light bites which are great.

FOOD: I have had salad from the lunch menu which was fab, and the fresh juices were great. My friend had a ginger pasta dish that was not great but that was the only dish that I have tasted that has been bad.

Dinner... Beautiful food. Most recently I had the vegetable platter which was so tasty and perfect size. My friend had the curry platter that was recommended by the waiter and it did not disappoint. The steak was also brilliant but was a bit small.

The desserts are all amazing ( some of the along cakes can be a bit dry but I think the humidity is a big part to play in that).
Try the guala malaka ice cream, it is incredible. As is the peanut butter ice cream.
One of the best cheesecakes is also available and has pecans nd caramel and chocolate... HEAVEN,!

SERVICE: all he staff are happy and friendly and always there to help. Can not fault them.

PRICE: it is quite expensive (student budget!!) but so worth it as a treat.

Overall, amazing time here and would tell anyone to go here.

Visited June 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“This was a GREAT find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We went to this restaurant on the recommendation of my girlfriend's cousin, and what a great recommendation it was!

Just walking through this place is an adventure - there are 5/6 separately themed "rooms", so much so that you'll begin to think that each of the rooms is its own individual business/entity. When you walk in, it's very much like a coffee shop serving cakes and bento boxes; the next room is more like a library with single and long tables (for larger parties); adjacent to this is a separate/private room which can accommodate large parties up to 14 people. Past both of these rooms is the outside seating area which, although VERY beautiful, is swarming with mosquitoes - there is more chance of you becoming dinner if you decide to sit out here.

Once you walk through the outside courtyard, you then come to "the smallest vintage jewelry shop in the world", which has some really nice little trinkets in it. You chose what you want to pay, and just leave it in the jar, which is a very nice touch.

Past the jewelry stall is the canteen, which is where the live bands perform. NOTE: If you want to go see a band, get here EARLY! It's quite a small room, and gets packed fast!

Firstly I'll review the food... Overall it was VERY good. Not exceptional, but really decent nonetheless. Our waiter made a mistake on our order, so my girlfriend's food didn't arrive until 25 mins after mine did - this meant she ate half my food! I love her dearly, but I'd rather keep all the foods for my belly, thanks!

When hers came out, it was really tasty, but very small for the price. This was surprising, as the mixed grill I had was very good value. She had the rocket salad with grilled haloumi, and it was around RM42 - the mixed grill that I had, on the other hand, which was MUCH bigger, was RM40. Bear in mind that this restaurant is in Chinatown, so no beef bacon - it's all real pork! Yum :)

There's a good selection of wine here, and it's available by the class, carafe and/or bottle - all at reasonable prices.

Next on to the entertainment... Which was superb! The band playing when we were there was the Raggy Project, and was held in the Canteen. As I said before, you need to get here early to get a seat, but if you do, you'll be rewarded with a great show! Drinks are pretty reasonable too, and you can also order snacks from the bar.

All in all, this was a really pleasurable experience, and I will DEFINITELY come back here next time I'm in Penang.

• Visited June 2014