“China House Experience ... A Winner but for Service”
Review of China House

China House
Ranked #2 of 34 Dessert in George Town
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Now when you are in Georgetown, Penang a must for lunch, dinner or especially dessert is a must. A narrow long, and I mean the length itself is worth just the walk once inside, shophouses in the Heritage center of Georgetown is a busy place. The vast majority of people from what I could discern come for the absolutely mind boggling array of dessert cakes or great variety. And in listening or overhearing conversations, they are some of the best and well worth the time and money.
We went on a weekend for lunch and managed to get the last seats in the house by the front door. I had the nasi rending which was excellent and would recommend highly. My friend had an equally good chicken dish but ... Once placing the order it took more that 25 minutes for the first order to come and then another 5 or so for the second. I understand in the evening that with less people most people at the same table are served together.
Go,go,go and forget the service aspects.the Australian lady owner has a super reputation for her desserts and a visit to Georgetown, Penang without a trip to the China House ... well, you will miss out!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,545)

Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

I came here at night. Its' beach road entrance wasn't well lit and i almost missed the place.
I only came here for coffee after dinner someplace else.They have a great selection of cakes, the tiramisu being my personal favourite.
They also have a pub with a liveband at the back who plays during weekends.
It is rather on the high end with cakes from rm15 onwards and coffee from rm10. I would perhaps come back just for their cakes selection

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Lovely quirky environment, mix of up-cycle old furnitures and decoration. A must visit just for the ambience. My first time to Chinahouse was last year during a family trip and was pretty much impressed. Even though it was a busy night, we were shown to our seats and orders taken promptly.

Second time around was quite different. Went over for afternoon coffee, with the place half packed. Wasn't sure if we were to be shown to our table or we had to find our own seat. Stood there at the counter for like 5 minutes not knowing who to ask because we couldn't differentiate between the customers and staff. When we finally got our table, had to wait another 15 minutes just to catch someone to take our orders. And that too, no staff in sight. Was sitting in the smoking section rear room outside the wine bar. Total let down this time around. I'm a grumpy man when it comes to waiting for coffee.

Short of staff maybe?

Things to look into :
1) Differentiation between staff and customer? Apron or nametag? very frustrating
2) Seemingly uninterested or cold staff. Doesn't harm to at least smile, if not don't work in hospitality.

Will go back for a third time. But if it's another let down, well sorry never again.

1  Thank Lbraja
acg1960, Owner at China House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

We very much hope your third visit will be more pleasant, and hope we get to say hello to you.
Thanks for your comments

Reviewed 14 June 2014

We walked from Lebuh Chulia to Lebuh Pantai, which was a rather nice heritage walk trail. Reaching China House to meet friends for gathering.

The place may have car parking challenge, but if you prefer to walk here from wherever you maybe, such as hotel, it is a great option.

China House has a rather long and narrow setup. I kind of find it, like there is no end to the place. The front consists of the restaurant, and then the seating, wine room and then a pub at the end, which also where the bakery is located.

There are wide selections of pastry, which we had so much of them :)

The people are friendly, and the staff remembers the order.

However, the orders took sometime to arrive, which is a draw down.

Overall a great place to chill and relax after many hours or walking about Georgetown.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

This was my second visit. I was not impressed during my first visit and would not have returned but for some friends who wanted to visit the place.
The staff were dour faced and unhelpful, like my first visit. Although we had booked seats by phone, we were told on arrival there was no booking made.
We finally found seats (reading room area) only to discover we were seated beside a tableful of chain smokers. Smoking indoors, in an enclosed, air conditioned restaurant is banned in Malaysia but it didn't seem to bother the staff of China house. Shocking. Will never ever return.

2  Thank johnofkl