“stunning heritage hotel.. lovely staff!”

Cintra Heritage House
Ranked #32 of 173 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 December 2013

What a beautiful hotel. It is a heritage listed building and is stunning. The rooms were hotel size not your usual asian size… It was clean and the bed comfortable. The bathroom was modern the shower hot. The atmosphere and ambience was relaxing and calm and we would have loved to stay longer but had to catch a flight the next morning. There is a restaurant in the building. We will return. It is in a great location of Chulia street.. walking distance to the Prangin Mall, Little India and Armenian street. We had a room next to a mosque so were woken at 4:30am with loud speaker 'praying'.

Room Tip: we had room 205 'Duke"…right next to mosque. very early wake up. very loud!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rovvy
There are newer reviews for Cintra Heritage House

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I've stayed at Cintra twice and it is by far the best hotel I have stayed at in Georgetown. The building truly captures the essence of Georgetown heritage. With a little garden cafe in the courtyard, it is a beautifully serene sight to wake up to.

The walls of the room is perfectly solid as it shields you from the burning afternoon heat and keeps the room clean and well ventilated even without the air-conditioner switched on.

Rooms are very clean and cozy, bathroom is well equipped and the shower is fantastic! The bed is comfortable but you may have to request for a less lumpy pillow.
The staff are wonderful and very helpful. Breakfast is decent with an option of continental or local. Excellent place to stay for solo travelers and couples.

Location is quite central too. Nearby the famous Penang Road Cendol and other delicacies. Less that 10 minutes walk to Armenian Street and Little India and Lebuh Kimberly (where all the great hawker stalls are situated at night). Surrounded with fabulous hipster cafes, nearest is Mugshot Cafe on Lebuh Chulia, great bagels and coffee for brunch.

Overall, a great stay if you are willing to pay an extra RM50 to RM100 in comparison to the other Inns and hotels. But really, for absolute comfort and its charming character, it is definitely worth it!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Melizarani
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is a tough review to write. I really wanted to like this place, as I will be back in Georgetown in a week and didn't want to have to look for new accommodation.
The building is beautiful, well-restored and with modern upgrades (bathrooms, AC, etc). Breakfast is more than you usually get, and I like that you can refill your water bottle in the restaurant. Wifi works well. Pretty good location. I love the wooden floors and I love the look of the wooden shutters.
But it is these wooden shutters that cause the noise problem. My room, open to the central courtyard, escapes the traffic noise, although I do hear the call to prayer from the nearby mosque (which is lovely and not disturbing). But during the night I can hear every conversation in the hallways and this morning i was awoken by the reception phone ringing at 7:15 am. It rang 3 separate times, once I counted for 30 rings. It was not answered. I'm sure it woke up everyone in the building (except any staff member who was in duty).
The other problem is that the hotel allows smoking in the hallways, and the smoke gets sucked into your room through the wooden blinds. It was so smoky in my room this morning I was worried that the staff would accuse me of smoking in there!
If the windows could be sealed with double-paned glass, and if it became a nonsmoking hotel, I'd be back.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank A-Nomadic-Canadian
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

I had a great time at Cintra house. The staff is fantastic and my room while small was very comfortable and an oasis from the heat during the afternoons. The hotel is an excellent renovation of a Chinese home at the turn if the century with wooden shutters so their is some noise at times but the charm of the house more than compensated! I would definitely stay again and wish I could have stayed longer.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Basic guesthouse with friendly staff, in a good location. You're about a 10 minute walk from everywhere in the city you'd want to see. Free wifi in rooms was appreciated.

We looked at a few rooms before we chose our room for the night. One of them was facing a very busy road and would have been difficult to sleep in. It was difficult sleeping in our room for a different reason; we were at the back of the building nearest to the mosque (which must have been next door or very nearby). It was a holy day, so there were calls to prayers almost every half hour in the early hours of the morning. I'm assuming the noise wouldn't normally be that bad at the back of the hotel though.

Note to any unmarried Muslim couples - the hotel will not allow you to share a room (local law I believe). Unmarried non Muslim couples are ok to share a room.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The location near the UNESCO world heritage zone and abutting Chinatown is a mixed blessing. The good points: step outside and you have some amazing street food within a 2 minute walk. I enjoyed eating at the hawker stands and having a beer at one of the many cafes. The bad: noise, noise, noise. Beyond the fact that Penang is full of motorbikes, the hotel seems to be on the nightly racing circuit for teenagers that like to modify their bikes. In addition, the hotel is limited by historical zoning and the rooms at the front do not have glass windows — only louvered shutters. This looks quaint but makes for an impossible sleeping situation. I slept with earplugs and when a room became available at the back of the hotel the staff was nice enough to let me move. But Penang can be noisy (I mean exciting) and even at the back of the hotel the single paned windows made earplugs advisable.

The hotel is quite clean and I found the open courtyard very beautiful. The common areas of the hotel can be very very hot (hotter than outside?) but the air-con in the rooms works very well. The breakfast is good if you get the nasi lemak.

The staff were friendly and spoke English, but overall the hotel did not feel well organized ( I believe the hotel was recently opened). They will pick you up at the airport for a fee and that's probably a wise choice if it's your first time in Penang or Malaysia.

Given the noise issues (which I know they are trying to resolve), I think it is a bit over-priced.

Room Tip: The rooms at the back, away from the street, are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Worst place in Penang! We had called and booked a room with king size bed and had indicated the check in time. But by the time we checked in, our room had been given to another guest who complained about their room being very noisy. Therefore we had no choice but to take the only other available room. This is a budget hotel but charges a 3-star rate. There is no TV in the room, no proper mirror only small ones, and lousy unusable furnitures. No proper windows, the wooden windows had holes in them hence it does not filter noise and invites mosquitoes. Toilet was not very clean, no separate shower area therefore each time you shower the bathroom gets thoroughly wet! Saw a few baby cockroaches crawling about in the bathroom. Bath towels were not clean. We went out for dinner and when we came back around midnight, they had locked the main door, had to ring the bell to get someone to let us in, the staff on duty (believe she's the manager) was showing a sour and sulky face! On top of it the room was very, very noisy throughout day an night but was more apparent at night that we didn't get any sleep at all. From inside the room, every sound of vehicle passing and people talking could be heard very very clearly. As we were checking out, the staff did not bother to collect the room key from us (because we had made full payment upon arriving the day before) even after ringing the bell no one showed up! Overall it was a terrible experience and would not recommend anyone to stay here.

Room Tip: our room was upstairs facing the road. Not sure about other rooms but it is better to avoid this pla...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple