“"A gem in the heart of Georgetown"”
Review of Seven Terraces

Seven Terraces
Ranked #1 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 30 January 2014

We recently had an 8 night stay at "Seven Terraces" . It was like walking into a work of art. Although it is a hotel we felt we were visiting friends in a beautiful, antique filled mansion. The warmth of the staff from the management down made our stay so memorable. Special thanks to Ewan, Sean, Yunn, Jenny, Dinesh and my favourite barman, "Podi", who made the best cocktails - I was in cocktail heaven. The owners of the hotel , Chris and Karl, were there and we enjoyed our chats and it was easy to share their passion for their unique hotel. The restaurant "Kebaya" was a great experience from the delicious food, to the exotic decor, the talented piano player and the lovely maitre d' , Shirley.

Tricia and David - Australia

1  Thank TriciaDavid

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I went to the restaurant upon the recommendation of a local hotel - and was i ever pleased that I went. The food is absolutely amazing with brilliant combination of flavours true to the baba nyonya (or peranakan) style.
The menu was a set price of $100.00 ringgit (local Malaysian currency) for an appetizer, main course, vegetables then dessert. One is provided with a selection from each of the above, and if there is two of you, I would recommend you each try something different so you have the opportunity to tickle your palate with the varied selections.
FYI - the wing bean salad (in Malay the bean is called kachang botol) and the dessert named "tong yuen" are both a MUST! if I were a food critic I would give both these dishes a two thumbs up!!
The restaurant itself is situated within the Seven Terraces guest house - a refurbished baba nyonya style home that has been lovingly restored and a recipient of heritage awards.
While I did not have the opportunity to stay at this lovely facility, I would say it is a must for travellers wanting to experience the way of living in the traditional Peranakan manner.

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Seven Terraces was the perfect place to stay in Georgetown, Penang. I was travelling with my husband and two children and could not have wished for better accommodation. The rooms were beautifully furnished and decorated, and we're incredibly spacious.
The only thing that surpassed the perfect location and stunning rooms was the level of service. The staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating and I cannot thank them enough for making us feel so welcome and pampered.
We will definitely return to the Seven Terraces in Penang and would recommend it to anyone wishing to stay in the heart of Georgetown.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Stewart Lane Grand Apartment which was enormous for a family of four.
Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Melanie B
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Have initially booked Stewart Lane Grand Suite and we were very fortunate when we have been upgraded to Argus Lane Grand Suite. This is a perfect getaway, in fact by just lazing around in the room is certainly good enough in relaxing and enjoying the holidays. And thank you to the staff who have been extremely helpful and friendly in ensuring a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Although I travel quite extensive both for business and leisure, I don't write many reviews. Pinang and Seven Terraces have left a "great after-taste" in our minds, so I decided that it deserves few words: The building is simply beautiful; it is elegant and tranquil; a truly special place that makes you feel special as well. In addition, it is run well, very well indeed! The staff is very respectful, helpful, well-trained, and really friendly. I am very impressed by this, because I don't think this combination is easy to achieve in Asia. (Due to language barriers, and cultural differences, etc.)

1  Thank Selin A
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Four of us decided to go on a road trip to Penang. After a 4-hour journey from Kuala Lumpur, we arrived at Seven Terraces really tired. Their staff immediately unloaded our bags and opened the brilliant ornate doors. We were struck by our beautiful surroundings when we entered! The rich legacy of the Peranakans and their distinctive lifestyle were carefully restored throughout the property. Yeun and Ewan showed us to our rooms. They were both unobtrusive, efficient and very friendly. The room was spacious, clean and the decor reflected the Baba Nonya unique heritage. Then complimentary tea was sent to our room in delicate Nonya ware. It was great!!
We had drinks at the bar in the evening where the service was again excellent. As the hotel is well located, we explored its surroundings and then indulged in the famed Penang hawker food close by.
For breakfast, we had a choice of local and international fare served with a good selection of tea and coffee.
The hotel restaurant, Kebaya, serves Nonya cuisine. Each dish has a delicate Nonya flavour with a modern twist and being a vegetarian, the staff immediately offered a wide selection for my starters. Keep space for the desserts, especially the Tang Yuen, a surprise every mouthful when you slurp the coconut broth.
The beautiful Seven Terraces together with our hosts' determined efforts to make our 2-day stay unforgettable, were in keeping with the traditions and hospitality of Baba Nonya culture.
I highly recommend this experience and stay at Seven Terraces.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank a9borealis
Reviewed 11 January 2014

What can I write about this establishment that has not been stated already? I will continue and echo a lot of what others have already written.
I have to start with the staff! What a pleasure to have hosts that go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Nothing was too much for any of the staff we encountered during our stay. It was a nice touch to meet a fellow South African (working there) who went out of his way to go and purchase a specific souvenir/piece we were looking for. This gesture set the tone for the rest of our stay.

We stayed in Stewart 7. The sleeping area was large and comfortable and so was the washing/bathroom area. The lounge area, upstairs, was also very comfortable.

The unit was kept pristine at all times.

There was a good variety of eats at breakfast and you could have as much as you wanted. Afternoon Tea was great too!

This is great establishment and would recommend it for a visit! I would give this establishment a 4.4 out of 5!

Room Tip: In My Opinion Any Room Would be Great!
Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
#2 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
G Hotel Kelawai
G Hotel Kelawai
#11 of 87 in George Town

Been to Seven Terraces? Share your experiences!