“Uniquely Fabulous!!!”
Review of Seven Terraces

Seven Terraces
Ranked #1 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 26 June 2014

While researching hotels for our first visit to Penang, the outstanding reviews for the Seven Terraces immediately grabbed our attention. We decided to treat ourselves to an Argus Lane Suite, since this was the last stop of our 3 week trip. Based upon the reviews, our expectations were extremely high. As it turned out, our expectations were exceeded, and the hotel delivered in every possible way.

The property itself is unique and one of a kind. The location next to Little India provides an ideal base for exploring Georgetown and the surrounding areas. The two story Argus Lane Suite was simply awesome. The Seven Terraces appears to operate seamlessly, much to the credit of the general manager, Ewan, and an obviously caring and dedicated staff.

While here, we felt like house guests staying in some large privately owned home in colonial Georgetown. The staff was friendly, professional, and fun. Communicating with the hotel via email was easy. The prompt and courteous email replies we received from Faizal gave us complete confidence that the Seven Terraces was a great choice. Faizal is also as warm in person as anyone you could ever meet.

Ewan impressed us by his personal interaction with all of the hotel guests, most often during the breakfast hours. He recommended fantastic daily itineraries that helped us make the most of our 3 night, 2 full day stay. The map created by the hotel was superb for walking around Georgetown. We totally enjoyed the 6 hour island tour Ewan arranged for us with Siva, one of the hotel van drivers. Siva was kind, informative, and a very safe driver. We were happy that he drove us for both of our airport transfers as well.

We instantly felt comfortable and relaxed at the Seven Terraces, and we would stay here again in a heartbeat. The Argus Lane Suite was indeed a treat, the upgraded room internet access was a bonus, the hotel restaurant and bar are excellent. The only other recommendation we have would be to stay here longer than we did.

We cannot thank the entire staff of the Seven Terraces enough for making our visit to Penang such a wonderful and memorable experience. We truly had a fabulous time!

Sally & Greg

Room Tip: Choose an Argus Lane Suite if possible, and book early.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
7TManager, General Manager at Seven Terraces, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Sally and Greg
We enjoyed reading your kind review of the hotel and particularly loved the fact you remembered so many of our staff so fondly. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to our staff .
As you mentioned the complimentary internet has recently been upgraded so all rooms now have their own wifi modems .
Looking forward to your return and having our evening chats in the bar again.
Regards
Ewan

Reviewed 22 June 2014

After many years of travelling on the cheap, I decided it was time to see what it's like to go luxe and Seven Terraces was the perfect choice. As soon as I walked on the property I knew I was in my Georgetown home. You're surrounded by stunningly beautiful art and antiques, but there's pretense, no stuffiness. Then you're shown to your room and your jaw drops with the realization that this place is yours! I loved that there were two levels to my room - the lower bed and bath rooms and the "girl cave" on the second floor balcony. This was the touch that made it feel like home; kicking up my tired feet and watching TV never felt so good!

The true artistry of Seven Terraces is its people. Thanks to Massi and Yunn for the warm welcome and sightseeting tips and to everyone else for the warm smiles. Thanks to Christopher for the fond farewell. I don't know if my travels will bring me back to Penang, but my stay at the Seven Terraces is one of my fondest travel memories!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Karen R
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

I've booked a room with Seven Terraces after reading positive reviews. Penang is the last leg of our road trip in Malaysia and it's named as 一路北上 as Penang is more than 700 kilometers up north from Singapore.
Upon driving into the hotel's carpark, the staff greeted us with warm smiles and helped to unload our luggage from the car. Upon stepping through the golden-gilded doors, I was awed by the understated elegance of the hotel lobby. It felt like stepping into another time...
Yunn showed us our room in Argus Lane and the reviews and pictures I've seen did not adequately prepare me for the surprise I got after I opened the doors.
Our room is not a room.. but a suite! The generous space is tastefully filled with antique pieces... the porcelain lions, the wooden bench set in mother-of-pearl and the expansive washroom with a rain shower!
And I've not seen the bed yet as it's on second level. We climbed up the wooden stairs and marveled at the cozy bed and the wide balcony which overlooks a primary school.
The primary reason for booking with Seven Terraces is the concern that we might not have the time to visit the famous museums in Penang hence I thought.. why not stay in a museum then? From the reviews, Seven Terraces seems to fit the bill but the stay far exceeded my expectations.
I like to give my heartfelt thanks to all the staff in Seven Terraces for the warm hospitality. We enjoyed every moment of our stay.. and I really mean every single moment.. the good breakfast, travel directions rendered, the smiles, the quiet time by the pool and many more. Thank you very much.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Seven Terraces is an absolutely delightful boutique hotel. The location cannot be bettered - it is smack bang in the middle of Little India and Chinatown.

The owners have lovingly restored a truly amazing piece of architecture and it feels a privilege to stay there. If you have stayed at a restored Riad in Marrakesh, this is the feel - small, classy, and a haven to retreat to.

Special mention to the wonderful staff - from front of house to the waiters for whom nothing was too much trouble and they were very quick with a smile and a laugh.

Breakfast is included and it's served al la carte and they have both Malay/Chinese and western choices, as well as good proper coffee.

The hotel bar is very reasonably priced and they mix a strong and tasty cocktail!

The hotel restaurant (Nonya cuisine) is of a good standard and while very expensive for Penang, is still very reasonable ($30 a head for 4 courses).

And special mention to the cheapest hotel laundry ever in the world - they arrange for it to be sent out locally and it costs almost nothing and is done to an exceptionally high standard - this is a boon in the heat where sometimes you need three changes of clothes a day.

My only two reservations are that, given the size of the rooms, a bit more hanging/cupboard space would have been appreciated (particularly for longer stayers) and the stairs could present a bit of a problem for less mobile travellers.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our six night stay and will be recommending it enthusiastically to our friends.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linda C
Reviewed 19 June 2014

7 Terraces is in a fantastic location - right in the UNESCO heritage site. Little India, the Clan Jetties, Victoria Street with all the funky restaurants and bars are within walking distance. Super attentive staff esp Ewan, Yunn. We had an amazing time with our friends. Great location for a party - with great food, service, ambience. Breakfast was extremely good, with lots of choices. We loved the roti chanai. All in all, we were well looked after by Ewan and his team! Thank you!!!!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Seven Terraces is one of the best hotels my husband and I have stayed in on our many travels. Ewan's welcome and easy check in to the hotel made us feel at home immediately. We couldn't fault anything -the attention to detail in every aspect from the design and decor to the attentive staff and the amazing breakfast. The room was ultra comfortable and the bathroom fabulous. The location for exploring George Town is perfect. The restaurant recommendations made by Ewan were all good. We would return to Penang, if for no other reason than to stay at Severn Terraces.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

Our stay at 7 Terraces was atmospheric.
What a wonderful wee hotel, a jewel set right in the heart of old Georgetown juxtaposed between little India and Chinatown.
We had the privilege to stay at the Argus apartment; it's on 2 levels, has a second bedroom for the kids, and a huge balcony! The bathroom was pure luxury with the best of rain showers and a bathtub to boot!
Try the Kebaya restaurant, its Straits Chinese fusion cuisine simply divine.
Bravo to the Manager Ewan and the staff for making us feel so welcome!

Stayed: June 2014
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
Hard Rock Hotel Penang
#2 of 10 in Batu Ferringhi
Hotel Jen Penang by Shangri-La

Been to Seven Terraces? Share your experiences!