“I love it here!”

SIOK Hostel, Penang
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We chose syok for 2 nights in May 2014 and we were awestruck with their level of service for a hostel.

The staff at syok are warm and friendly. They even provided us with a phone with a local sim card so we may contact them at anytime if we ever needed anything. Great location, clean and comfortable.

Thank you syok for making our stay memorable and comfortable. You guys rocks!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank slurplovepray
KarenSLT, Owner at SIOK Hostel, Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear slurplovepray,

Thank you for the wonderful review. We constantly try to improve and ensure our guests have the best experience here at Syok. We look forward to have you with us soon!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Syok@chulia is really awesome, a really comfortable place to stay in and it felt homely because it was extremely clean and the staff were super friendly and informative, they gave me lots of recommendations for good food (especially the chendol!). And Syok is situated at a great location, every place of interest in Georgetown is within walking distance. I would really recommend anyone visiting Penang to stay here!! :D

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed at Syok @ Chulia for 2 nights in early May. I only had two full days on the island. I found the hostel to be in a great location. Tim is fantastic! He was able to give me maps and recommended what I should best spend my time doing - and he knows the bus numbers and where the stops are for everything. Also - ask him where you should eat. He recommended some great stalls for me to try the local cuisine. If you take the bus to the temple, ask him where to try the laksa - amazing!! This isn't a party hostel - the rooms are fairly quiet, which was great for me because I needed a few good nights sleep! Be sure to check out the reggae bar further down chulia street - ladies hour until 9, and a great place to meet other travellers and soak up the atmosphere!

• Stayed: May 2014
KarenSLT, Owner at SIOK Hostel, Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Irish-Canadian-Jen

Thank you for taking the time to write us. We are glad that all our efforts are paying off and that our guests appreciates it.

Hope to see you with us soon.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

However it's also one of the most expensive hostel in Penang. I paid RM55 one night in 8 beds mixed dorm room. Hostel will provide a towel, blanket and a closet without pad lock for everyone stay in the hostel.

The Victoria Street dorm room is where I stayed for 3 nights and it's because the locations of the hostel is right in the busy street where day time a lot of vehicles and motorbike passing by and night time where all the pubs and café open till late night so you can imagine the noise outside. Although windows are closed but it's not sound proof. So if you are a light sleeper you may need to wear earplugs.

The Lounge on the rooftop is a highlight of this hostel. Breakfast provided every morning here for its guests. Internet is good. The Air conditions is cool and cosy in every corner.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 May 2014

good location, very clean & comfy, very helpful & friendly staffs. easy to find. lounge very good and confesion board was awesome! verry recommend for anyone who want to stay in the center of George Town because is easy to go anywhere

Reviewed 5 May 2014

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in. The place was immaculate and extremely clean, the staff were also very helpful. A good location. Really enjoyed the 'installation art'. All in all a wonderful place would definitely recommend.

Dear Sarah Sarah jd,

Thank you for taking time to write us. We will be doing more interactive art work around and hope that you will come back to see!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I stayed in Syok for 3 nights. In Syok you get alot for your money. It is one of the cleanest hostels I saw throughout my 2 month trip in SE Asia. I think they clean it after ever use, what I appreciate very much, as I am in the 30ies now. The hostel was renovated recently in the lovely street art style of Penang itself. The stuff is very polite and friendly, they help you find the way, or organise your laundry getting done and they are there all around the clock, what let me feel really safe as I was a female solo traveller. You feel at home as soon as you step over the door step. I highly recommend it to everyone: Accomodation, Price, Cleanliness, Safety, Staff and Location are all at its best in Syok.