“Modern, Clean & Easy Access to Food”
Review of 69 Boutique Hotel

69 Boutique Hotel
Ranked #138 of 172 George Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed one night at their Superior room. Room size quite spacious. Overall clean and comfortable. It is located next to Times Square, good for shopping and in the morning, just behind the hotel is the morning market and local eateries at a kopitiam.
Before we check-in, Penang friend told us that this is a love motel and previously had some prostitution activities going around, but the local authority got rid of it and should be now safe. We did not see any of these and are glad with our stay.

The only setback is Parking. After our late night food hunt, we parked at the roadside opposite the hotel. (Hotel don't have parking)

An Indian guy came over to collect parking fee of RM5 from us. We paid but when insisted on the parking receipt, he say he did not have it and told us to get it from hotel reception. When we check-out the next morning, I ask from the front desk and they said needed the receipt for parking reimbursement. But we told them, the Indian guy did not give us any. So we were not able to claim it back. So beware, future hotel guests, make sure you get a receipt before paying. Some guys on the streets are taking advantages it seems.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Melgary918

Reviewed 25 November 2013

I stayed for only one night at this hotel last September when we visited Penang. It was a quick getaway for us after all the hassle preparing for the wedding. We arrived around 10pm that night. As expected, parking space was limited so we need to park at the roadside in front of the hotel. We got a parking ticket (around RM5, if not mistaken - but this was refundable at the hotel counter).

As we arrived, we were greeted by the guy at the reception who seemed rather friendly considering it was already late at night. When we entered the room, we were honestly pleased with the comfortable bed and the overall arrangement. I personally like the unique lighting in the room. We got a room facing the main road that has a really spacious bathroom with a gorgeous bath tub.

One MAJOR weakness that I wish to highlight was that the rooms were NOT soundproof enough. I woke up in the middle of night to the sound of lovemaking from the room next to us!! The sound was coming from outside.. somehow through the poorly designed window . I was really disappointed to pay quite an amount but had gotten a ‘CHEAP-MOTEL-FEELING’ despite the modern deco. Not mentioning was the expected noise from the passing by cars at the main road. Guess that was all, but around 5 am in the morning.. again my sleep was disturbed because there was a marathon event going on nearby the hotel! Huh!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nids20132013
Reviewed 19 October 2013

First I was quite reluctant to go to there because of the "erotic-themed" thing... But the room we booked (a superior room with a convenient discount) happened to be just a clean, nice, spacious and sunny room without any noteworthy erotic item.

I remark this just in case someone else, like me, was unsure of the atmosphere they would find. Actualy, I would even recommend it to people travelling with children.

Staff were attentive and efficacious, they helped us to extend our stay and gave good advice about things to do and see.

It's not in the UNESCO protected part of Georgetown but it's near the interest areas and much more modern and clean than most of the same range hotels in the heritage zone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ariadna M
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel thru agoda website and requested for a late check out the next day. Understand it is based on hotel availability.
When we checked in, we ask if the late check out was available and was confirmed by the staff. Chinese guy.

The next morning, to re confirm my late check out. I called to the receptionist again, he mentioned was confirmed.

So we left for our medical check up in the nearby hospital. After we came back, we cant even use our card key to enter our room. And they refused to activate our card as they could not identify the person whom give the permission of late check out. Plus they wanted to charged us for the late check out.
So we argued abit longer and they started to call all their colleagues to verified the late check out. And ended up, it was already confirmed but no communication was passed down.

We were so pissed off with the service given by the staff named Mr. Coo. Keep pushing away responsibility and liability. Defensive, no sense of accountability towards his job. I have to consult them that all these inconvenience caused is because of their competence. No apology was given at all. And even said that he is not permanent here in this hotel. As if this is not his job or work place.

Yes, the hotel theme is unique and nice, but services and cleanliness were bad. Like other reviews, bath tub was dirty, carpet were unclean. What is the point for having such an unique hotel to hav such bad service and cleanliness.

The house keeping was worse. I ask for some more toilet paper as it was running out. The Housekeeping ask u checking out today right? Give me the reluctant look to give me A ROLL OF TOILET PAPER THAT I NEEDED BADLY.

Conclusion, this hotel management need to be trained. No doubt the hotel is new and unique theme. I leave this decision for the rest to decide if they want to book this hotel.

Best regards
James

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank lineasy2
Reviewed 10 October 2013

I stayed here for one night in mid-September with my boyfriend, although we originally booked 4 nights but left because we were unhappy. This hotel markets itself as brand new and clean, however it seems its actually just an older building with only the bathrooms redone and generally poorly maintained and barely cleaned.
First, we were given a standard room, but then changed to a superior because it was unclean and had lots of ants. The next room was slightly better, however, we still weren't very happy with the cleanliness: spiderwebs in all corners of the ceiling and egg nests on the curtains, the shower area was not properly scrubbed from previous guests, and a thick layer of dust all over everything - I had to clean up with wet wipes so we could put our things down.
Anyways we were so tired from an all night trip and didn't have the energy to look for another place, that we decided to stay. The next morning, when we woke up , my laptop computer was COVERED in ants, I'm guessing because I had spilled coffee on it a few months prior and they were attracted by the sugar, so they came out of their hiding spots.
At this point, we decided we needed to leave. It was a really difficult process getting our money back, as the manager was very unresponsive. I had to take them to the room and point out every problem (spiderwebs, ants, dust, etc.) before they finally gave us a refund. The manager just left and didn't offer an apology, leaving his staff who had some difficulty communicating with English to deal with us.
Overall, I would not recommend this place, as it is not what it advertises itself as. Don't be fooled by the photos!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SyN2013
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

Love the tub, cleanliness of room and reception was friendly and helpful. Needs more power points in the room and layout was a little wierd but truly a gem for the price. Hope it keeps up the standard!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

nice hotel,clean and new,...................
feel comfortable to stay there..............
good location,just have a parking problem.hope they fix this problem
the price is ok........
around there was many food...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family