“Very nice! ”

Queen's Hostel
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
“Very nice! ”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

We, my girlfriend and i, stayed for 3 nights in a private room without a window. The bed was good, the shower was clean and the airconditioning worked perfectly. The hostell is in the middle of the old town, close to the sea, the bus, the ferry or a parking.
We loved it!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jekkie1976

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I think there is no worse thing -when you are traveling- than arriving to your hotel/hostel and they say to you that you DONT have a room.. Now, add to this that before reaching your hostel, you had the longest journey of your life crossing the south of Thailand by tuk tuks, ferrys, train and walking in 30C. Well if you like to have such a situation and then just have a "sorry" as a apologize... You really have to come to this place!
I can say that this place really sucks but not because of how it looks (has too nice pictures to be true), I think so because after their "sorry" the girl from the reception didn't even offer us the wifi password to find another place, she just went to keep eating and her friend offered to us (my girlfriend and me) a bad place for the same price... Someone from the hotel sent me an email in the morning of our day of arrival (12 hours after our booking) that they were overbooked but they could do an "upgrade" to a dorm room (although we had booked a private room!!) if we were two girls traveling... ¿? Of course we didn't have internet at the time they sent the email because we where traveling from Thailand to Malaysia and in the end, just to be very kind with us, they reported to booking.com that we didn't show to the hotel!! Im really sorry but QUEEN'S hostel you really SUCK !!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
rachelkoay, Owner at Queen's Hostel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
I am sorry for your unpleasant journey to from Thailand to Penang and I cannot deny that it is our bad for overbooking but there are a few things I must clarify;

1. We received your booking in a night before your arrival and I have sent you an email at 7am in the morning as soon as I check our booking and realized that it was an overbooked.

2. We did find you two alternatives which are nearby and at the same range but you did not like them.

3. We let you use the WiFi and pointed at the wall and said "here's the WiFi password" so that you can find an accommodation of your choice.

4. I continue to have my lunch because I saw you have taken your tablet out and you and your girlfriend have started talking in language or dialect which I don't understand so I thought I should let you both to have alone time to discuss and such.

5. "No Show" is the only button we can press for guests who did not stay with us, there are no button says "We Were Overbooked". If we didn't mark it, booking.com will assume that you've stayed and we have received your money, and so we will have to pay an amount of commission.

However, we are deeply sorry for letting you and your girlfriend down.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 July 2014

My friend and I booked a private room for two nights in this hostel. Room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Free wifi and bike rentals are also available. There is also a shared washroom with shampoo, soap, toothpaste and other toiletries provided. Location is also great. It's a walking distance from several sights.

While the room was cozy, it's the staff that helped made this place stand out! We met Zoe, one of the owners, and she was very helpful. She provided us with directions, called us cabs and even gave me medicine when I needed painkillers! I definitely recommend this hostel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2014

A nice hostel a bit further from all the happening tourist areas without compromising convenience. It's still easily accessible yet you enjoy the quiet environment if you're not into partying in hostels. Staff were friendly and very helpful. (Zoe was very helpful and attentive. She even called to check if I reached the airport after calling a taxi for me.) A place with lots of privacy and would definitely recommend it to those who usually have cold feet about staying in a hostel.

Be prepared that it would be a little quiet in that area when you go back to the hostel in the evening. But it is quite safe from my own experience. I went back late most of the nights there and I walked back all the time.

And a recommendation for food would be to go to Little India and find some nice South Indian food! That's an advantage of location this hostel has!

The only thing I'd like to mention is that if you head to the hostel from Airport on bus, don't wait til the very last station at the Jetty. It would be nice if you got down on the other side of the road. Because the traffic is quite heavy along the road right outside Jetty and it's not easy to cross for those with heavy luggage and those who are used to very organized traffic condition. And when you find a point to cross, you may not find the way according to the instructions given by the hostel easily, especially when you reach in the evening.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Extremely clean, cozy & colourful hostel. Super comfortable mattress. Canopy provides privacy needed.

Free wifi, free bicycle rental, rain shower with hot water, free towel, bathroom amenities, hair dryer, hair straightener & nail polish are provided. You won't be able to find all these in other hostel.

Convenient location. Walking distance to many attractions & eateries. Easy to find parking space.

Rachel is very friendly & helpful.

Queen's is way above common hostel standard. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank chloesim
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed on the 8th of May and checked in rather late. But the person who greeted us; Rachel was all smiles and welcomed us warmly. We actually wanted to try out the tent beds but opted instead for the room as it was available. Appreciated the little details and colourful utensils and very chick minimalist style of deco. Will definitely recommend this place to anyone. Clean showers and toilets. Had a good night sleep on a comfortable, clean bed and sheets and was all ready and pumped up for our journey again. I give 5 stars all the way !

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2014

This is the perfect place for a female traveler! Colourful, clean, peaceful and cool. The dorm beds felt like a glamorous grown up version of your childhood tent forts. Quiet but placed right in the middle of all the action, with nearly every major tourist point in walking distance. Full length mirror, generously spaced showers and hair straighteners! At this price it's a steal.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo