“A true 5 star experience”

Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Bengaluru, India
“A true 5 star experience”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed for 2 days at Bayview Hotel and I had a lovely stay as the rooms are really luxurious and clean .Its location is amazing and you can catch the free hop on hop off CAT bus just in walking distance also the mesmerizing wall-art is also 2 km away.There are taxis just outside the hotel which have a fixed rate for kehloksi temple and Penang hill .Breakfast had variety of things to choose from.Very Friendly staff and ready to guide you for any of your queries.We had amazing view of the sea from our room window.I highly recommend this hotel to everyone going to Penang

Room Tip: You can choose the sea facing rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Soumyakhurana,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for this lovely review and for giving us a 5/5 score. I am happy that you had thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you also for recommending Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang as a preferred hotel to stay in Penang.

We hope to welcome you back again to the very best of Bayview.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Was only staying at this hotel for one night while attending business meetings in Penang. It is in a good location which is easily accessible to the airport and most businesses nearby.
The staff in the hotel are helpful and friendly.
The hotel on the whole is clean and in a good state though could be better in places.
There is ample car parking which is attached to the hotel should you be driving to Penang.
The room - well its neither great or poor. Not the most modern room but it was clean and tidy but could do with a refurb soon. Quite noisy as the room was facing the road and could hear lorries etc - even on the 10th floor.
The bathroom in the room was ok but showed its age.
Breakfast was nice, good choices of local and western.
Not a bad hotel for a short business trip.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ismail77
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear Ismail77,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your review of the hotel and for your endorsements on the good location, friendly & helpful staff, the overall cleanliness of the hotel as well as the good buffet breakfast.

I am glad that you had a pleasant experience during your stay with us.

Singapore
Reviewed 10 November 2013

The hotel's centrally located: getting to attractions was easy.The famous Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion's just across the road. You could also walk to Chowrastra Market, Prangin Mall, Komtar and 1st Avenue Mall. Penang has a free bus service that plies the city centre -- from Bayview you could walk to a bus stop on Penang Road, opposite Citidel Hotel.

The staff at the Concierge were great: helpful and gave good tips on what to see and do.

However, the hotel doesn't feel like a 4-star establishment. It looked aged. We had a room on a non-smoking floor but the corridor reeked of smoke occasionally. We booked a family room: On Day 1, I requested for a rubber mat for the bath tub as it was too slippery and dangerous to shower without one (There was no shower room per se). Housekeeping came back to say they didn't have one for me. I insisted on one, as I had a senior and young children. The nice man returned with a floor mat instead. Again, I insisted on a rubber mat, citing safety concerns. After about 30 mins, he came back with one.

On Day 2, the toilet malfunctioned, causing a mess in the bathroom. This happened after we returned for the night after 9 pm. Someone came to fix it, but missed out on getting the bathroom disinfected and cleaned. There was some back and forth before someone came with a mop. All this time, all four of us were exhausted while waiting to shower to turn in. To add to the problem, the air con in one of the bedrooms was faulty.

On the morning of Day 3, the toilet malfunctioned -- again. The staff were apologetic and offered to move us to a new room. I said please get the toilet repaired as it was a hassle to move, given we were going to check out the next day.

No surprises but on Day 4, the toilet was faulty yet again. The duty manager said yes to my request for a late checkout, to make up for the inconvenience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheesetomato
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Cheesetomato,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

First and foremost, please allow me to sincerely apologize for the poor impression and the inconveniences that you had endured with the faulty toilet in the room during your stay with us.

Just to let you know that the room that you had occupied has already been blocked off for rectification works.

I thank you for bringing this matter up to me.

Once again, my sincere apologies.

Travellers are raving about these George Town hotels

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Pros:
Really big room, beach facing, on 14th floor
Location wise, close to the street shopping area and restaurants.
Live band every evening singing classics was good.
Hot water swimming pool was one of the things my daughter enjoyed the most.
Room service was really hard working, fixed a blocked wash basin within no time.
Staff at reception helped whenever they could - always swamped with guests
Staff who helped us with our luggage was the most helpful person in the hotel, also helped planning our visits to near by places
Cons:
Check in at odd time - 3PM
No complimentary breakfast
Really noisy at night due to Sky Bar
Staff at the 'may I help you' counter directed us to check with the staff who handled luggage for every question we asked. I wonder why she was sitting there then.
Little expensive compared to the hotel we stayed in KL.

Overall had a very relaxing stay and lazy time in this hotel, would recommend to others if the 'cons' listed above are addressed.

Room Tip: Ask for beach facing room, 14th floor is the best but can be very noisier at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear Manoranjan A,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your review on your stay with us In October. Reading through your review, I am glad that overall you and your family had a nice relaxing and lazy time with at the hotel. To address the cons that you have highlighted
1. The check-out time is at 12 noon and the room attendants need time to clean and refresh the room which. That is why we have set the check-in time at 3.00pm. If the assigned room is ready upon arrival, we will always release the room early and not let guest wait until 3.00pm.

2. I am not sure of what package you bought but if you refer back to our webiste you will see that we do offer breakfast packages. I believe that you had bought a "Room Only" deal.

3. I apologize for the noise from Skybar and will look into this.

4. The girl that you are mentioning I believe is the tour desk executive and not a "May I help you desk" . Although she is not part of the hotel's staff directly, she should have been more proactive in assisting you with your questions.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again to Bayview Georgetown.

Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I called them to ask for some information, the staff over the phone sounded unpleasant and she did not return my call even though she said that she will return my call after she checked on the details. However , the location and the cleaniness of the room was considered good.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Jecice L
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Jecice L,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for your review and I would greatly appreciate it if you could message me your room number, the date & time that you had asked for information so that I can further investigate on this matter.

I am glad that you found the location and the cleanliness of the room good.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Rooms were very nice, really big size and nice clean bathroom. Location is a few minutes walk to most places which was ok.
Really good buffet breakfast. A lot of options. Don't eat in the revolving restaurant it's really expensive for what you get, service is awful. Waiters asking you a few times to confirm your order. A real lack of confidence.

Only fault with this hotel is the staff. Check in was slow but that's ok. Girl checking us in was speaking really low and had to ask her a few times to repeat herself, still we don't know what she said.

Girl in tour desk has no interest or passion in her job. When asked about a tour she didn't say a word just handed us a folder and continued to play on her phone. Management should really look at the front of house staff.

One staff made our holiday, a bellboy wish I knew his name, worked until
11pm on the 3/11/13.
Helped us organise our bus and recommended things to do for the day. A saving grace of otherwise terrible staff.

Overal it's an ok hotel, a little expensive for the service you get.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Cocodooo,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Please allow me to apologize for the level of service experience that you had encountered on check-in. I have taken note of all your comments and I will get my Front Office Manager to look into this matter and make improvements.

I have also forwarded your comments on the tour desk personnel to the tour operator and the Revolving Restaurant operators for their info and remedial actions.

I am glad that the Concierge staff (by the way his name is Nazri) was excellent is his service to you.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 November 2013

Stayed in superior room for 4 nights. If the hotel meant "newly renovated" when they said they have "93 newly refurbished Superior Rooms", my room didn't look like it was one of them. However, it was clean and room service was excellent in cleaning up after each night.

My first complaint was the shower in my room. It was small and it felt cramped whenever I took a shower. If you're over 6 ft. tall, your head will probably hit the ceiling. The bathroom exhaust fan is also awkwardly located in the middle of the window (made of privacy glass) that was right next to the shower. Although there was a diagram on the fan that showed that there was a possibility to close it with the cover outside, I wasn't able to do so since I think mine was broken (I even removed it from the window to see if I can close it). If you view through the fan at a certain angle, you can see the windows from the neighboring rooms. Hopefully they weren't able to see me whenever I was in the bathroom.

My biggest complaint about the hotel is the noise from the sky bar. If it wasn't for the loud music, I would've rated the hotel 4 out of 5. Although I was located on the 10th floor (in the middle of the building, overlooking the pool and the E&O Hotel) and the bar was located on the 16th floor, it still sounded like someone on my floor was having a party at night. The hotel needs to seriously soundproof the window or quiet the music after 10-11pm.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Ap0calypseNOW,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

First and foremost, please allow me to apologize for the poor experience during your stay with us. I am not sure of the room category that you were assigned but all our Superior rooms and above categories have very large bathrooms. Only our Standard room bathroom is a bit small and had the fan that you had mentioned. The Standard rooms are due for a makeover in 2014 where we plan to enhance the room.

I have taken note of the loud noise from SkyBar and I will will the operators on this matter urgently. I fully agree with you that the noise level should be tone down at late night.

Please do message me on your next stay with us and I will ensure that you get a nice quiet room with a large bathroom.