“Average, can be better”

Ranked #26 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
“Average, can be better”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have booked 3 rooms for my famiy holidays.
Hotel should improve on their service. Over the 3-night stay, one of the room was not given hand tower; have to call to get them; quite anoying.
Water flow in the bath tub was slow, "flood" whenever you shower. One of the room with burst shower pipe.
Rooms were clean. LCD TV was OK, but no much programs to watch.
Overall the stay was OK

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear PangEP

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

With regards to your comment on the hand towel, I apologize for the inconveniences but we do not provide hand towels as a standard amenity in all rooms. Hand towels are only provided in the higher room categories and in all other rooms the hand towels is on a request basis. My staff should have advise you on this from the beginning.

I would appreciate it if you could message me the room number where the water flow in the room bathtub was slow and the burst shower pipe so that I can get my maintenance team to look into this and rectify the fault immediately.

Thank you for staying with us and I sincerely hope that the issues that you had encountered will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed in your hotel last week and was surprised to see a cockroach running out the kitchen while I was in the coffee shop having my breakfast. I was told by one of your staff that it was normal. Which I don't think so. I was not surprised to see today's star news paper (5th December 2013) carrying a full page article about a 4 star hotel in Penang being slap with a compound for being a dirty kitchen. I did not have the time to check with the authorities which hotel it was, but if it was the Bayview Hotel, I think the management and staff deserve it as they take other peoples health with no respect and value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Johncso,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for bringing this up to my attention. I am utterly shocked at your feedback as we have been practicing a monthly pest control exercise here without fail. I have instructed my Executive Housekeeper to get the pest control company to do an intensive exercise so as to get rid of any pest in the kitchen.

As for the newspaper article you mentioned, it was reported that the hotel concerned was in the Tanjung Tokong vicinity. Please let me assure you that it was not us.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback as it is with feedbacks from guest that we can improve and we certainly will do so.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The Bayview hotel is quite old but nicely decorated. I had some trouble to find the carpark and had to walk some stairs to access the lift to go to the hotel reception. Staff was very friendly and helpful
Non-smoking room with 2 single beds. Room size ok, bathroom basic. The shower in the bathtub was too low for me and rather inconvenient. Location is great to go to nearby pubs and restaurants.

The revolving sky restaurant is great for having a drink as you can sit outside as well and look all around Penang.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear johan129,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on your recent stay with us.

I apologize for the lack of signage at the car park and will look into ways to improve on this. I am glad to note that you found all my staff very friendly and helpful and that the hotel was in a strategic location. Thank you also for your compliments on 360° Revolving Restaurant & Skybar.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The building itself is rather old, even though it's recently refurbished. So the rooms were comfy and clean enough, but still old in places. The car park is difficult to find, and access between the hotel and car park is quite troublesome, having to walk up/down stairs, then accessing another lift, which is small and will have trouble fitting a large family. The hotel and rooms are alright, though.

The location is great, within walking distance to Georgetown's heritage quarter which is fast gaining popularity with the hipsters and backpackers. And of course, the many food outlets Penang is famous for.

Do go up to the sky bar upstairs. It commands a fantastic view of the city and the sea.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear chiselstone,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for taking the time to post you review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad that you found our rooms comfortable and clean and the hotel situated in a great location. Thank you also for your compliments on 360° Revolving Restaurant & Skybar.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

My husband n I took our staff nurse n our children for a short holiday.the hotel is so good with the checking in .The hotel as usual has done a real upkeep of the place. They have renovated the place so amicable.the beds are so comfortable .the rooms we stayed were the grand deluxe room n they were so big and spacious.the king size bed is so comfortable that it can accommodate three people in it.the children explored the hotel and enjoyed themselves.good hotel and near to all the attractions.just down the road from the hotel is the world heritage mansion hotel the cheong fatt zee .there are food courts too.very good selection of food to be found there.

Room Tip: Rooms that are good is the grand deluxe ,the premier rooms,the junior suites.take the rooms facing t...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Catherine D,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for the nice and lovely review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad that our efforts in sprucing up the hotel and paid off in you and your family enjoying the new rooms.

It was a pleasure having you and your family stay with us and we hope to welcome all of you back to Bayview soon.

Singapore
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We had a free upgrade to a premium, but smoking, room. The room was spacious and comfortable, despite the reeking smell of smoke. The bed was big and comfortable, although the pillows were too soft for comfort. The bathtub drain was a little clogged and it take ages for the water to clear, and there was leaking of the water from the bath to the toilet floor. Basic amenities were provided, as well as bottled water, which is a plus. The TV channels are limited though.

The hotel is rather accessible, just a short walking distance to the Red Garden for dinner, and 5 mins walk to the pubs for a after dinner drink. Generally it was pretty safe to be walking around at night.The Concierge staff is very friendly, and certainly very helpful in giving us directions to the Mural wall arts and recommendations for dinner choices. We are very pleased with his service.

Overall, we had a rather enjoyable stay in this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear choroki,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for your review of the hotel on your recent stay with us.

If you would be so kind as to message me on your room number so that I can get my maintenance team to look and rectify the faults that you have mention, it would be greatly appreciated.
I am happy to note that the concierge team was friendly and helpful and that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back to Bayview Georgetown Penang again soon.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Good sized room. Clean and tidy. Nice band in the lobby bar. 360 restaurant and sky bar are by far the highlight of this hotel and I only went there on my last night.
All in all a good stay.

Only downside for me was the paper thin walls and noisy neighbours

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Alan-Holden
Dear Alan-Holden,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for the nice review and I am glad that you found our rooms to be of a good size, clean & tidy and also offering good entertainment at the lobby lounge as well as 360° Revolving Restaurant & Skybar.

I apologize for the noise from the room next to you. It was indeed a pleasure having you with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.