“Comfortable, well positioned hotel.”

Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #27 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Singapore, Singapore
“Comfortable, well positioned hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

This hotel has a positive vibe to it, the large spacious reception area is clean and welcoming. A singer performs in the foyer bar every evening and whilst that bar was rarely busy, it was nevertheless pleasant to return to the hotel after a night out and be greeted by the sound of a live singer.

Most of the staff are a credit to the hotel, they really seem to care about the experience of their guests. We had consistently good experiences with housekeeping and breakfast room staff. A special thank you to Mr Izham, duty manager, who was every bit as efficient and helpful in dealing with our pre visit enquiries (this was our first visit to Penang) as he was pleasant and professional when dealing with our f2f enquiries after our arrival.

Our room looked like it had been recently refurbished. It was spacious and clean and welcoming, with a pleasing view, and king sized bed, exactly as requested. We had a bath and separate shower in the bathroom, and there was plenty of hot water. True, the corridors looked a little worn but that was of less importance to us than the room itself and the main reception/breakfast areas. We asked for an extra blanket after the first night and housekeeping obliged straight away.

The location of the hotel is very good. We walked from the hotel to many local sights/eateries, and took local buses when going further afield eg Penang Hill, Weds night market.

The breakfast was good. A pleasant setting, with a nicely busy atmosphere and a perfectly adequate selection of food. The coffee/juices were fairly low quality but nevertheless the breakfast is still worthwhile.

We found the wi-fi a little temperamental at times.

We had pre dinner cocktails one evening in the outside bar area attached to the revolving restaurant. The waiting service was very disappointing there, our waiter spoke/understood little english and had no knowledge of the drinks menu. We were initially brought only one of the two drinks we had ordered, and the wrong drink as well. Nevertheless, we enjoyed a great view, on a lovely evening, and the drinks themselves were well mixed, so we still stayed for a second one.

We were leaving very early on our last day. With the minimum of fuss the restaurant made arrangements for us to have early access to the breakfast room, which we very much appreciated, given we had a long journey ahead of us. But the front desk member of staff apparently forgot to order our morning taxi (requested the previous evening) leaving me to run around outside the hotel unsuccessfully trying to flag one down. In the end, and with no success either from the doorman in phoning a cab, arrangements were made for security to take us to the jetty. We just about caught our ferry crossing. So don't assume there are always taxis outside the hotel. There are not.

We left with good memories of Penang, hope to return, and would happily stay in this hotel again. The positives far outweigh the couple of niggly negatives.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Dear Macs375,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for this lovely review. I am happy that everything went well with your stay with us and that all my staff had provided good customer service especially Izham which I will convey gratitude to him.

Thank you also for endorsing on the excellent location of the hotel as well as the nice buffet breakfast served every morning.

I will convey to the operator of 360° Revolving Restaurant & Skybar on the lack of service that you had experience.

I sincerely apologize for the "hiccup" in the taxi arrangements on your date of departure. I will look into this and ensure that this kind of mistake is never to be repeated.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Merry Christmas & A Happy & Healthy New Year 2014.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

This was our second trip to Georgetown and to the Bayview hotel in 9 months
On arrival, our check-in was handled very smoothly and was pleased to have been re-allocated room 1021 on the 10th floor which we had before. To our surprise and delight, this room had been completely refurbished. This room has lovely views facing the sea and is very spacious. It was just as comfortable as before and we were well-looked after by Rumah and her team. A big thank you here.
The breakfast options are numerous and aspire to meet the taste buds of travellers from both the east and west. This suited us very much and many other guests who were happily piling up their plates!
The hotel is well-located and is within easy reach of all the main places of interest. The rooftop terrace and revolving restaurant is well worth a visit. The views at night are simply great.
Overall, the service is good and we had a very relaxing stay. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
At this point, I would like to challenge the views expressed by 'kam s' from London. To say that you only need 1 clear day for Georgetown is frankly a ridiculous statement. Georgetown is a UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site and is the most tourist-visited destination in Malaysia. There are so many interesting places, cafés and great eating places to discover that it would take many days to see them all.
Also the comment on stupid taxi prices are totally unjustified. We have taken many taxi rides including those to Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si temple. The fares are very cheap, about a third or a quarter of the prices in England. By the way, the taxi fares from the Bayview Hotel are fixed prices, although the drivers may give you a small discount if you wish to haggle. We have also taken buses which are absolutely 'cheap as chips' by English standard. Additionally there are also some buses which are totally free.
Finally, the comments on the food court which is the Red Garden, are over enthusiastic. It is a great novelty initially, to find such a place where you can have the variety of food and eat it whilst the band is playing. This is fine. However, after several visits, it will be apparent that the food is over-rated and over-priced. It will be hard to find any local residents eating at the Red Garden as there are better and cheaper street food elsewhere.
In summary, I would say that the Bayview Hotel is a great place to stay and to explore the charms of this interesting city.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the sea, from the 10th floor upwards.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear bert88,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your lovely review. I am happy that you had enjoyed your stay with us again. Thank you also for the nice feedback on our newly refurbished Deluxe room.

I am glad that my housekeeping staff had exceeded in their services and I will certainly convey your message of thank to Rumah and her team and also to the kitchen team.

Last but no least, I sincerely appreciate your endorsement and recommendation to all readers on staying at Bayview Georgetown Penang.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Thank you.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Stay on standard room for one night. No big issue.. Overall this four star hotel giving you value for money...by the way thanks to reception officer for helping regarding our request... On the other hand, its not appropriate to get recycle/used shampoo that mix with water...

• Stayed December 2013
Dear evil_travel,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad that you had everything went on well with your stay with us and that the front office staff was able to assist you in your request. I would be appreciative if you could enlighten me further on the shampoo issue that you had mentioned as I am a bit puzzled.

Thank you for staying at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

When we got to the hotel from the airport, it seemed very plush from the outside and a very welcoming and has a very nice lobby area. When you get inside the staff do their job to check you in but lack personal skills – with a basic welcome and little or no information about the hotel given to us or a nice hello. Our room was big, but from what I could gather, most are smaller. It was clean but you can tell it needed freshening up and was a little dated. But by far the most worrying was the ants in the corner of the room by the tea/coffee tray. We did complain and asked for it to be dealt with, but they took their time and we didn’t get a apology or any sort of reaction which suggested some sort of embarrassment on their behalf. A free drink to say sorry would have even helped.

It wasn’t a massive problem but even a few ants in a small corner does get you worried they could get any where.

After 1 day in Georgetown we wanted to explore other areas of the island – to be frank you only need 1 clear day in Georgetown max as there is only a few things to do in small area which you can walk around easily.

After asking the hotel they were not very helpful and wanted to charge us a stupid amount to get to the Penang Hill via taxi and the Kek Lok Si Temple (which are both very close to each other and around a 30min drive away from the hotel). So we researched and after asking other people we went to the bus station which is a 10/13min walk from the hotel. This took us to the hill and the temple. You can also take a bus to Batu ferringhi as well which is also close to other smaller attractions like the butterfly farm (takes around 30/40mins in the bus). Battu ferringhi has great food options and is on the beach (not the best beach) and lots of tourist shops and places to book tourist trips as well as hotels. Please do not be scared of the buses, they are very clean, safe and run on time till around midnight and have a set system to pay (take many small notes, as change is not given)

In addition, the hotel tried to get us to eat in the up market street behind which has expensive western style food places. Being from London we wanted local food and not western stuff. We explored around ourselves and found a very good food hall which is I think is on a street called Lebuh Leith (only a 5min walk from the hotel and is hidden behind a large car park, look carefully and don’t be scared to ask any one). Ask the staff if you are unsure as it’s a bid hidden and not obvious but it is very big when you get inside. There you will find lots and lots of food stands. Order and wait for the food to come to you. Great place with live entrainment as well and plenty of seating very local so you get a flavor of the local food. Personal tip – tip the waiters who clean your tables and are in charge of the drinks (drinks have to be ordered via the one company who manage the food court) and they will take care of you and give you a good table the next day and be attentive as well – even one or two £ or euros will do the trick.

One last point is the Hotels breakfast was a redeeming point and had a large selection to please everyone and as there are no other options close by, I would take it when you book a room. The location is good, but do not stay around the Georgetown longer than 2 nights if you are looking around for tourism. Would be wise to spend maybe 1 or 2 nights in Battu ferringhi and look around there as well. Remember the Food court close to the hotel is excellent and I cant recommend it enough.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kam s
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear kam s,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us and your overall perception of Penang island.

I sincerely apologize for the poor experience that you had received from the front office team that had checked you in and I will get my Front Office Manager to look into improving this. I also apologize for the sighting of ants in the room.

On your comment of the taxi service, I am not sure of what had transpired. We have a private limousine counter at the lobby of the hotel that is managed by an external tour company as well as a public taxi service just outside the hotel.

On your comment of food, I am baffle as I cant seem to recall of any upmarket street behind the hotel. Penang is famous for it's hawker food and as you rightfully mentioned, there is a hawker center just beside the hotel. I regret the communication breakdown.

Thank you very much for nice comments on our buffet breakfast.

We will certainly look in ways of improving and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Seremban, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

A newly refurbished room w seaview, nice! 10s to Ms.Leann Lee for fulfilling my request, the room was comfortable. All the staff were very polite and did their job well. Luv the Revolving Restaurant !

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear susanswl,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your nice review. I am happy that you enjoyed our newly refurbished room (with the spectacular view of the sea) and that everything went well with your stay with us.

I will convey gratitude message to Leann and the rest of the staff I am sure that all will be very pleased.

It was a pleasure having you with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Thank you.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

I have booked 3 rooms for my famiy holidays.
Hotel should improve on their service. Over the 3-night stay, one of the room was not given hand tower; have to call to get them; quite anoying.
Water flow in the bath tub was slow, "flood" whenever you shower. One of the room with burst shower pipe.
Rooms were clean. LCD TV was OK, but no much programs to watch.
Overall the stay was OK

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear PangEP

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

With regards to your comment on the hand towel, I apologize for the inconveniences but we do not provide hand towels as a standard amenity in all rooms. Hand towels are only provided in the higher room categories and in all other rooms the hand towels is on a request basis. My staff should have advise you on this from the beginning.

I would appreciate it if you could message me the room number where the water flow in the room bathtub was slow and the burst shower pipe so that I can get my maintenance team to look into this and rectify the fault immediately.

Thank you for staying with us and I sincerely hope that the issues that you had encountered will not deter you from staying with us in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

I stayed in your hotel last week and was surprised to see a cockroach running out the kitchen while I was in the coffee shop having my breakfast. I was told by one of your staff that it was normal. Which I don't think so. I was not surprised to see today's star news paper (5th December 2013) carrying a full page article about a 4 star hotel in Penang being slap with a compound for being a dirty kitchen. I did not have the time to check with the authorities which hotel it was, but if it was the Bayview Hotel, I think the management and staff deserve it as they take other peoples health with no respect and value.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Dear Johncso,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you very much for bringing this up to my attention. I am utterly shocked at your feedback as we have been practicing a monthly pest control exercise here without fail. I have instructed my Executive Housekeeper to get the pest control company to do an intensive exercise so as to get rid of any pest in the kitchen.

As for the newspaper article you mentioned, it was reported that the hotel concerned was in the Tanjung Tokong vicinity. Please let me assure you that it was not us.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback as it is with feedbacks from guest that we can improve and we certainly will do so.