“Standard, nothing fancy”

Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang
Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in a standard room. And as expected, everything was pretty standard. The check-in staff are friendly and accommodating. The rooms could use a bit of renovation. The pool is really small. Overall, the hotel feels old and lacks modern ambiance.

Hotel breakfast is subpar. The spread doesn't have much to offer, and the coffee is terrible.

The hotel is at a very convenient location with popular food places, bars and murals within walkable distance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear tridibsays,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We acknowledge your comments of the Standard room which is the lowest room category in the hotel.

I would like to inform you that we are in the midst of refreshing all our Standard and Superior rooms and works will be done progressively throughout 2014 & 2015.
All our other room categories from Deluxe room to the Premier rooms have been completed.

I am certain that all our guests will like the new refreshed rooms once it is ready.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

The interior could use a little updating as it looked old but the facilities were well maintained and clean.
Location is great and within walking distance to Penang Road where there's tons of food options and Upper Penang Road where there (supposedly) is nightlife although when we looked at 11pm on a Thursday night it was totally dead.
The rooftop bar is nice with a beautiful view of the city and nice ambiance. Great to sit outside if the weather is good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Megan C,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for your nice review of your recent stay with us.

We are in the midst of refreshing our rooms progressively and once all is completed, I am sure that you will like the "new" rooms.

I am happy that you had a pleasant stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Even though the facade and interior looked old and tired, I was initially impressed by the speed of check in. Furthermore, I was upgraded to a Premier Deluxe room.

Room is clean and spacious. However...

The pillows were pretty uncomfortable.

We were not allowed to have our breakfast the Premier Lounge.

No one collected our laundry.

Other than that, everything else worked fine.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear NuttySingapore,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

I sincerely apologize for the miscommunication during your check-in. Yes, your room was upgraded to a better room category due to unavailability of the room category that you had booked for. However, it is just a room category upgrade and it does not come with the added Premier Floor benefits unless you had paid for it.

I am glad that apart from this "hiccup", everything else was fine with your stay with us.

Thank you.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed on the designated "Premier" floor with a string of meaningless and half-baked "extras". The room itself was fine - big, clean, decent view.

The service was eye-rollingly disappointing. Frequent answers to basic questions such as "what time is breakfast?" or "how do we get to x" were met with "don't know".

I know this hotel doesn't portray itself as luxury, but when you charge luxury prices expect the bar to be raised.

• Stayed: April 2014
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear Drew_SG,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for your review and I apologize for the poor service that you had encountered during your stay with us which I will further look into.

On a positive note, I am glad that you had found our rooms to be large, clean and with a decent view.

I thank you for your feedback and I will certainly look into ways of further improving the level of service.

Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My room was clean and a decent size. It's a basic hotel in a good location, so do not expect any luxury.

It could do with some upgrade, especially the carpet and bathroom.

There is a limited selection of tv channels.

The red garden food court is less than 3mins on foot.

I won't have a problem staying here again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Teegirl234

Dear Teegirl234,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for you nice review of your recent stay with us.

I am glad you had a pleasant stay and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed for a night on a business trip. The hotel location is really convenient, it is located within walking distance of Penang Road, where you can find loads of popular eateries and also visit the heritage sites. A longer walk would take you down to Komtar where you can also get to a shopping mall. Overall, the hotel is OK, the room is clean albeit a little small. The bathroom is also pretty small but it will do. Also do check out the revolving rooftop dining and bar - that was pretty cool.

Room Tip: If you are sleeping in, request for a room that does not face the school opposite, otherwise you wil...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear attw,

Greetings from Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang.

Thank you for you nice review and for endorsing on our good location to the many sights within the heritage city of Georgetown.

I am glad you had a pleasant stay with us and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights at this hotel. Hotel quite run down. Requested for a renovated room but was given a non-renovated room. The front office staff still insisted that the room was a renovated room. The air cond temperature control button was high up in the ceiling. Few lights was not working & requires immediate change of bulbs. Housekeeping provide used mineral water as complimentary water. Great disappointed by the service.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
bhgpg, General Manager at Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dear princessjv,

Greetings form Bayview Hotel Georgetown Penang!

Please allow me to apologize for the poor experience that you had encountered during your recent stay with us.

I do hope that you can message me your room number so that I can further investigate on the matters raised and take necessary preventive actions.

Your feedback is very important to me as it allows me to benchmark the service that my team is providing and take necessary actions to rectify mistakes made.

I sincerely hope that you will give us a second chance and I hope to welcome you back again.