“Beatitful setting, delicious meal”

Jawi House Cafe & Gallery
Ranked #3 of 907 Restaurants in George Town
Price range: US$2 - US$7
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Jawi House Cafe and Gallery aims to promote Jawi Peranakan Heritage and Cuisine to the world. Authentic Nasi Lemuni and Bamieh is available here. Take in the ambience and feel apart of history in our humble cafe, which was built in the 1880s; along side any one of our desserts made in-house and freshly brewed coffee. We hope to see you soon!
Japan
“Beatitful setting, delicious meal”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I visited Jawi House for what turned out to be an exceptionally convivial lunch with friends in its welcoming atmosphere. The décor is eclectically elegant, and also relaxing, the food generous, subtle and varied. The hybrid nature of the establishment part high-end restaurant, part gallery and part patisserie somehow exudes singular charm. Its proprietress and manager, a world-renowned scholar, launched this business in order to promote Georgetown's culture writ large. She has succeeded magnificently. Highly recommended as a cultural + culinary experience. Value for money excellent.

2 Thank Frequenttraveller076

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Penang Island, Malaysia
“A Must-visit in Penang”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have been living in Penang for 2.5 years as an expat, and can safely say that this is now at the top of my list of lunchtime cafes in George Town. Nuril, the chef, said that he has been cooking traditional Malay food since he was a child, and based on the quality of food he serves at his restaurant, I have no doubt this is true. He is very active in the restaurant, and will gladly explain what is in each dish, as well as give recommendations. So far, I or my friends have tried the rendang, the biryani rice, the rose chicken, the lemuni rice, the vegetarian rice and even the beef brisket sandwich, and I have yet to taste anything that was not absolutely outstanding. Food here has such depth of flavor -- he uses his spices to perfection. On top of this, prices are right, with a good-sized entree costing RM 12-RM 16, and snacks costing no more than RM10.

The atmosphere perfectly matches the food -- the cafe is light, airy, very tastefully decorated in the Malay style, and not to mention spotless. Guests are treated as family. They also sell a range of heritage books, including a recipe book that includes recipes for the food found on the menu -- very helpful for those trying to bring a taste of Malaysia back home with them.

I usually like to leave a helpful comment to the restaurant owners, but frankly I cannot find anything to suggest. They do it right here. I highly encourage all those visiting or or living in Penang to try this place out.

2 Thank Kat F
Melbourne, Australia
“A must !”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I loved the food and people at this restaurant very very much that we went there three times.

The food is absolutely beautiful! Its so homey and warm. The son of the owner is very welcoming and friendly. The staff were fantastic.

I strongly recommend anyone visiting Penang to try out this wonderful restaurant.

The porridge is unforgettable.

We will definitely go back when we next visit Penang!

Thank you for making our meals in Penang memorable!!!!!!!!

1 Thank Bohenia C
Little_Penang_Boy, Public Relations Manager at Jawi House Cafe & Gallery, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear Bohenia,

Thank you very much for your review, and we are glad you enjoyed your several trips to Jawi House :) We hope to see you again soon, and until then, we are looking to continuously improve and expand our menu. Thank you, have fun and see you again soon!
Penang Island, Malaysia
“Nice food”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I like the waitress, polite and friendly. Everything was fine, the food taste good too. I love the herbal lemuni rice and prawn briyani.

1 Thank WillyWah
Penang
“best food ever had”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

good food, good environment and friendly staff.....what more can you ask for.

it is a must to try to everyone visiting penang

• Visited January 2014