“Not too clean, good value though”

Armenian Street Heritage Hotel
Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed for 5 nights during Christmas week. At that time, the hotel was only open for a month. The room and bathroom was large. Airconditioning, wifi, tv, drinking water and towels were included. What the room didn't have was a fridge, kettle or phone. As the building structure is such that there is an atrium at the centre and most of the rooms are around it, noise travels easily even within levels. We could hear people talking and showering next door and guests from a far away room creating a din at 2am. The window was facing a blank wall, but we were fine with that as we didn't want the sun coming in.

Our biggest gripe was the poor housekeeping during the 6 days we were there. There was hair all over the place in the bathroom when we checked in - on the walls, in the sink, on the countertop. When we checked out nearly a week later, hair that was on the hairdryer when we checked in still was not cleared. Needless to say we didn't use it. The room was hardly cleaned daily. The floor was not mopped/swept and the toilet was not cleaned properly. This is really appalling as we have never had a problem with the cheaper, older and smaller Tune Hotels Downtown.

The water pressure was so low, the power shower was practically useless. There was a mosquito infestation in the lobby. There is a small carpark behind the building but you can never seem to get a lot inside. The only other option was to park on the street outside the lobby and opposite the road.

Location wise, it is a short 5-10 minute walk to 1st Avenue mall, Komtar and Prangin Mall. There is a coffee shop opposite to the left selling great wanton noodles and a famous oyster omelette If you explore the area to the right, you will also find some food stalls where you can watch the bustling morning activities. This is also a great location to begin exploring the famous art murals nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far from the lift and centre as possible due to noise.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We were pleasantly surprised with the whole hotel that gave a cosy atmosphere! The reception staff were friendly and helpful and made us feel very welcomed! There was enough power sockets located around our family room and made charging our gadgets easier! The brightly lit bathroom was a plus for my dad as his eyesight is not good and has always complained about bathrooms that have warm lights instead of bright white lights. Probably the only drawback was the absence of a kettle which would have been great for a late cuppa. Otherwise, I love the location of the hotel and its proximity to the heritage as well as street art area!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Chinchiminie
Reviewed 21 December 2013

If you are coming here by a car, you can try to avoid this hotel. Me and my friends came here for only 1 night, and it's more than enough for us!!! The parking is so terrible, they have around 100 rooms if I'm not mistaken but only less than 20 parking lots!! But not all, when upon checking in, we asked for parking, they said park at the back, so when we went out for dinner and came back at night, this is the most terrible part, went we are about to enter the parking, the security doesn't want to open the barrier for us, so we though he couldn't understand our language, and we requested him the receptionist to talk to us, but he ignored us!!! He just continue sits there, so I went into the hotel and talk to the receptionist, the receptionist told us, first come first serve basis, so we were like wtf??? You should tell us while check in right? After that we decided to find our parking outside, but suddenly we saw a car coming out, so we went back inside, but the security told us no parking also!!! and at last, the reception told us that he will get us a parking, at last we parking opposite the hotel across the road, when walking into the hotel, the security told us to check out !!!! CHECK OUT DURING HALF WAY OF YOUR STAY! THINK HOW TERRIBLE IS THEIR SERVICES! TRY TO AVOID. A VERY VERY VERY VERY BAD ATTITUDE, SERVICE. EVEN THE RECEPTION IS NOT TRYING TO SOLVE OUR PROBLEM OUT. HE TOLD US THAT THE SECURITY IS NOT A MALAYSIAN, COULDN'T SPEAK PROPERLY! RIDICULOUS !!!!!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank brandon-ckh
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Excellent & well organize heritage hotel in centre of heritage zone.
Firstly I thought this hotel is manage by Tune Hotels then I need to pay as per use, but finally I realize that it is all inclusive in the room rate and it is extremely cheap at all.
I have my 2 nights stay in this hotel with my family and impressed with their big family room with reasonable price. My sons and wife are very happy and enjoy their night in this hotel with nice food nearby and cool & memorable walk at Armenian Street on Saturday evening with lots of events n olden days stuff.
I realize that the management has taken very fast action to reduce their parking fee from RM5 to zero (Free Parking) with extremely limited car park lots... Bravooooo!!!!
The One I should really recommend is the Art Avenue at Level 2. I can see lots of paintings from Simon Tan exhibit on this floor. His paintings are gorgeous! I'm sure the building owner / hotel management must very in love with arts. Love it!! From Penang with Love.....

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank pbyong
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Booked 2 rooms and stayed for 2 nights in December.

1. Toilets are dirty, previous occupant's hair could be found at the bathroom door railing and drain. (Causing the shower area to flood up while showering as the water cannot drain out fast enough)

2. No kettle?

3. Windows need more soundproofing expecially those facing the main road.

4. Wifi doesn't reach some rooms at the back.

5. Reception staff should be more attentive and check the booking before answering the customers.

6. Housekeeping staff don't know how to use a door stopper, they keep going in and out of the room while doing their tasks and letting the door slam onto the security latch(which they used to block the door from closing). Annoying to people who wants to have an afternoon nap.

Other than the great location, the hotel is a bit of a let down.

I got the rooms from Agoda promo, so it was value for money though.

3  Thank dcyk
Reviewed 16 December 2013

You can see what they are looking to achieve, and if you don't look too closely the place has the feel of a much higher end hotel than you would expect for the price. A bit like one of those fake handbags you get in so many SE Asian markets, on the outside they can look perfect, but it is always in the detail that you spot the little flaws.

Me and my partner really liked this hotel, staying there for three days in December 2013. The location is fantastic if you're looking to explore the old chophouses of Georgetown. The rooms were large and with decent spec (good TV, bathroom was excellent with loads of freebies, bed was lovely). However, after three days you start to notice the quirks and imperfections - you get mugs but no kettle, the fire sprinkler has been placed next to the air con, there are already cracks in the roof of the shower, and the window handle broke off on the last day.

None of these things bothered me though, they kind of made the place more endearing. The staff were ultra sweet, they have made such an effort with events and art displays, and there are a couple of shops on the ground floor open until late.

So if you're looking for somewhere to stay that is priced like a guesthouse but is trying to emulate a hotel, then this is fantastic. This is like a good fake handbag - if you want the genuine article then you'll have to pay for it!

2  Thank naburgess
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I reached the hotel on Sunday (10/12/2013) at around 6pm, I could hardly find a legal carpark nearby the hotel. Then, I got down and asked the receptionist about the carpark problem, the receptionist said the carpark was full! Unbelievable, I went to the carpark behind the building and saw there are a few parking spaces! I asked the guard on-duty there, the guard said, the space was booked by others already! It is really ridiculous, as the receptionist said the carpark is "first come first served" basis, but the other people can book the parking. No choice, we got to drive the car a few rounds in the massive jam and found a parking opposite the road.
Then, we checked in the hotel, the room given to us was facing the site where my car was parked. I found it the room was acceptable. Oh no, when I wanted to bath, the shower is SUPER slow!!! even the water coming out from the pipe beside the toilet bowl is faster!
I got to pause my shower and got out from my room to get the phone ti call to the receptionist. The receptionist replied, ok I will call the maintenance to fix it. But I didn't even tell him which room I stayed, and maybe he already knew which room have the shower problem. With no choice, I got back to my room and bathed under the slow water, I took about half an hour to get done. After that, we went downstairs for dinner, and I asked the receptionist again, when can they fix the showernbath? He answered me again, the maintenance is on the way. I also had a feeling that no people stayed in this room for a long time because my whole body feeling itchy the whole night (dirty bedding).
The next day, I tried the shower bath again, NO, the shower bath was still the same!!!! FEELING cheated, because even if the shower pump hasnt fixed, the receptionist should inform us or change another room for us (irresponsible). I went down to the reception and almost wanted to scold them already. The other receptionist answered us that actually Sunday the maintenance will not come, and the car park cannot be booked!
then this receptionist just changed another room for us which I really satisfied.

Room Tip: Ask for car park before booking!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family