Alex had a desire to visit the famous Blue House (Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion) and since Jason knew the scheduled tour hours, we arrived there 10 minutes before the tour. The tour was offered by a female docent who had a rather soft spoken voice and much information on the family and the house. The first room took about 30 minutes and there were two stories to visit.
With the midday heat, lack of ventilation, speed of the tour, and my bad hearing I decided it was time to duck out when the large group moved to room number two. Mindy decided to make the exit as well. I told my daughter I needed to use the restroom, which I did, and then found Jason and finished our smoke.
I was surprised by the many walk-up tourists that had to be turned away due to the limited tour hours. I thought the Pinang Peranakan house had a better system. Shortly after our smoke my daughter found me hiding in the shade with Jason and, of course, I was caught but she indicated she didn’t care to do the rest of tour and we decided we should eat before we went to the airport.
If you care to read more about my Far East travels please visit the blog; If you enjoyed my story please visit my blog for more entertainment; http://shoethieves.blogspot.com/
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Come Home to Historic Splendour 'ONE OF 10 GREATEST MANSIONS IN THE WORLD' LONELY PLANET 2011 A Grand Mansion conceived and constructed by a Grand Man; an eminent edifice which History calls Home; a peerless representation of the Paradigm Chinese Courtyard House – the Cheong Fatt Tze “Blue” Mansion has been perfectly poised for over a century on firm foundations of architectural, cultural and historic superlatives. Essentially an ‘heirloom with rooms’, today, the Mansion readily bequeaths its charms to visitors who are able to indulge in Exclusive Heritage Homestays; **Guided Tours; and Tailored Functions on its premises. Reputedly the favourite home of the “Last Mandarin and First Capitalist of China”, the Mansion is undoubtedly the favourite home of George Town. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Odigeo, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Cheong Fatt Tze - The Blue Mansion reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cheong Fatt Tze Mansion Hotel Georgetown
- Cheong Fatt Tze - The Blue Mansion Penang/George Town