“Living in history”

Cheong Fatt Tze - The Blue Mansion
Ranked #5 of 85 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 4 March 2014

It was an experieince to have tourists come to take tours of the hotel in which we were staying. As occupants, we were entitled to take the tour for free, which was very interesting. The house is intriguing and beautiful. The room in which we stayed was large and comfortable. Although this was more expensive than other places we stayed recently in SE Asia, this was, as several guidebooks say, the place to splurge. There is a noisy food area next door at night which, thankfully, is not heard in the guest rooms. Staff was quite helpful. A good breakfast was served.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MWG12
There are newer reviews for Cheong Fatt Tze - The Blue Mansion

Reviewed 21 February 2014

We came here expecting a beautiful mansion, but being a historical building, I didn’t have very high expectation for room quality. We were proven wrong! The room was spacious, clean, with tasteful antique furniture. Full amenities and integrated AC. The entire staff was very friendly and helpful. There are several open rooms and courtyards for the guests to relax in.

My favorite part of the stay was being able to roam around the Mansion property during the day as guests, while all other visitors have to queue up outside the gate. Made me feel special.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Qian21
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I stayed at this amazing hotel/house/mansion for 6 nights recently. In a 6 week trip in Vietnam and Malaysia, my stay here was the highlight. The welcome accorded to me was so very warm that I felt immediately at home - and that feeling continued to the entire time I was there. The accommodation was not top-of-the range but was very comfortable nevertheless, with everything I needed, including a generally quiet location - perhaps with the exception of the nights when loud singing emanated from the food court next door! I can't say enough about the staff, who, without exception were warm, friendly and looked after me like their mother!! And as I am old enough to be just that, it went down very well!

This establishment is being upgraded, under new management, I believe and the tariff will increase. That is understandable, but if in the interest of improving physical comforts, the atmosphere and ambiance was lost or diminished, that would be a pity!!

I loved every minute of my time there!!

Room Tip: Only saw my own room, which was spacious and on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RobynJJ
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I cannot say enough good things about this "mansion-hotel." If you visit Penang, Malaysia, try to stay here or, at the very least, take the tour of the place held 3x a day for a small charge. We stayed 2 nights and loved it. Very comfortable, large room with roomy bathroom and great A/C. This room had not yet been renovated as the hotel is doing this a section at a time. Had a glass of wine in the courtyard and an excellent, prepared-to-order breakfast amid outstanding surroundings of amazing artwork. Built in around 1880 and totally restored in the 1990's, the carvings, screens, stained glass windows, etc. etc. must be seen!! The service was gracious and personal. Go if you can and make sure you sign up for a tour as the history is fascinating.

Room Tip: We stayed in Towkay room which had not yet been upgraded but was very comfortable and quiet. I did...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We called on the day and they had availability. The feeling when you first enter the mansion is magical and so it remains. Every room has it's own name and style. We got 50s room, which was humongous, airy, but the style left a slightly abandoned impression. I would have liked to check out other rooms. Our only real qualm with this hotel was the construction noise that woke us up at 9am in the morning, right outside our windows. Do take the tour of the mansion which is included in the price - there's a lot of history to learn. Overall we would stay there again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SashaRumyantsev
Reviewed 25 December 2013

...and gorgeous. Lovely place to stay, updated sympathetically some years ago. Very kind and friendly staff, truly memorable experience in a historically unique hotel. Some if the fixtures were a little tired in places, but this did not interfere with the experience - and the building is currently undergoing restoration....so go now while it's still a bargain! And don't forget your camera.....

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My husband and I stayed for the 3 night package as we wanted to fit as much in as possible. We couldn't have had a better experience. The house is cool and quiet yet well located to see all the sights. The walking tour was excellent and we were able to ask lots of questions. We visited places we would not have found on our own. We ate at the red garden next door one evening and were taken for nyonya cuisine and a steamboat by Mr Poh on our other nights. It was good to be taken further afield and we felt safe and relaxed. The blue mansion staff were exceptional; they could not do enough for us. I had a problem with my leg and Mr Poh insisted that he drive me to the doctors where I received treatment and medication. We got advice about other things to do on the island during our stay and visited the national park to the beatiful beach and jungle walk. Georgetown is a fascinating city with lots to do but it is hot and very sweaty; the cheong fat tze mansion provides a great place, full of history and intrigue, to cool down.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple