“Alittle hidden Gem”
Review of Hotel Mingood

Hotel Mingood
Ranked #57 of 88 Hotels in George Town
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Older style Hotel, very friendly, just out of the busiest part of town ... very short walk to Free shuttle bus ... reasonable stroll to Gurney Drive ... heaps of busses within 5 min walk...
Very clean, excellent beds & a/c good continental breaky, Tons of HOT WATER in shower and a BATH TUB to relax in ... TV with Star movies, free wifi in rooms, fridge and safe in room would definitely recommend ...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank jrh1510

Reviewed 22 June 2013

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Gay Choo M
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I stayed for one night as part of a round trip. From the outside I was first shocked, but the lobby ad the rooms are OK.
Do not expect a 4* or o, I will rate it as a better backpacker hotel with a large rooms and a clean washroom.
The breakfast is simple (cornflakes, toast, juice and coffee) but eggs and so can be ordered as an extra.

The location is ok, you can walk around to find food or shopping.

Te only disappointment for me was the AC. One bed is in direct direction of the AC and what ever setting I have chosen, I got the cold air direct over the bed. I nearly got a cold.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AufDerFlucht
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Staff at the front desk and the breakfast counter are friendly. Can check in 24 hours. The room is very basic due to the cheap price and it can be a bit old and not clean feeling since the floor carpet is a bit bluish old type. The Twin bed I stay was okay, not so comfy. I stayed at another one called Chulia heritage hotel, similar price with much better quality. So I rate this poor. Otherwise it can be acceptable.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 May 2013

i booked to stay at the mingood hotel for 6 nightsto meet friends after we had arrived back from thailandI
we all checked in and i got a brilliant room on the 4th floor with a balcony room 4003 at the front of the hotel so had a good view over georgetown.and luck had it i got the room next to my friends !!
the room i got was a very large room with a single bed had a tele and a fridge in it that was soo adequate, the bathroom was always cleaned and was always shaded with clean towels in the bathroom which was great after getting in from sight seeing in the malaysian heat
i had no complaints whatso ever the cleaning lady was so helpfull and nothing was to much trouble for her i asked for larger towels and she got them no problem.she was always so cheerfull and polite.
breakfast was provided which consisted of toast , with jam, peanut butter ,tea and coffee and you could order eggs at an extra cost,the lady that served us was a jolly little lady and a mind of information regarding penang .
i originally booked for 6 days but decided to extend my trip by another 3 days
the day my friends left i got rather chilly in my room so decided to ask the room lady for an extra blanket which she provided for me no prolems.

and then it happened !! the next day when i woke i found i had about 40 bites on my arms and neck which wer very itchy and then got very sore when i checked then in the mirror i couldnt believe what i saw, !!
i went down to reception to report the bites and right away they said they wer bed bugs !!and i got the immpression from them they thought id brought the bugs in from another hotel !! as i had been at the hotel for over a week with no probems.it was a mystery to us all .
went to the chemist and got a tube of betnovate crean which helped ease the scratching.and i eventually got the RM20 back off the hotel after a few days !!
and they moved me to another room for my last nights stay .
all the time afterwards it did peck my head where id got the bites from and even back in the U.K then it clicked in my head the cause !! that it was the blanket that had been the cause of the bites. and thats why i didnt get the bites earlier on in my stay .
since i have been home i did email the hotel and told them my theory and said it would be a good idea to get rid of the extra blankets or at least have them all cleaned but havent had a reply back from them which i didnt expect as they hadnt been very helpfull when i showed them the bites.

before this problem id had a brilliant stay at the hotel just a shame this problem spoilt my stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank maggieomx
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Not a mansion, but did us, myself and 2 girlfriends. We had two big rooms and own bathroom, good water pressure but not flash!! Staff friendly, room clean and very quiet at night. Basic breakfast but enough to fill you up. Good location for shops and markets. Did have to put a $50 deposit on for a kettle (got it back on return) and then had to ask for 3 coffee cups!!! We Kiwi's just couldn't drink the coffee over there and had brought our own. Staff happy to suggest eating places and where to get to places. We felt safe on our stay there and felt for the price it was good.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 May 2013

I visited this place with my husband for three days and our stay was very refreshing and comfortable. I really felt like being in my own home. Every process was smooth from beginning till end. Staff is very friendly and went out of their way to help us. Rooms are good, spacious, clean and nicely decorated. Food was amazing and coffee was outstanding. No complaints. I will definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple