“Nice firm beds, good location near shopping”
Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #16 of 84 Hotels in George Town
Portland, Oregon
“Nice firm beds, good location near shopping”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Contrary to other reviews I found the very firm beds fantastic for sleeping. The décor is modern, service was solid, and rooms well maintained. There is not a good beach across the road but there is very convenient shopping on either side of the hotel. Bar prices are high but that is typical of Penang / Malaysia. Prices were reasonable.

If you are looking for a beach resort hotel there are better choices but this is a very good business motel.

Breakfast was very good with plenty of variety

Only downside is that the traffic in this part of town is very busy

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 23 November 2013

When I went to the G Hotel, the pool was closed. There was no notice given on any of the websites selling bookings that the pool would be closed, even though it was closed for three weeks. The beach across the street is not for swimming either.

I checked out early because I really wanted to stay somewhere with a pool or somewhere to swim and changed hotels. I told the hotel within an hour of checking in that I was going to check out before my original reservation due to the pool being closed. Not only did the hotel refuse a refund to the booking agent, they contested when I charged it back on my credit card. I now have to argue with my credit card company (even though I charged the hotel I did stay at on the same one.) Why pay for a hotel that does not give you what it says it will?

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank sabai_sabai
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, 3 December 2013

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for your constructive review.

Unfortunately the pool had an unexpected leak during the period you stayed and we therefore had no alternative but to close the pool for these emergency repairs. As this was an unexpected event, we placed a notice in our guest rooms and also updated our website with the information which did of course still cause inconvenience to our guests which we sincerely apologise for. We had stated it would take 2 weeks to ensure we covered the timeframe and avoid any further disappointment, however we have been able to complete the work in less than 10 days and the pool is now fully operational.

In regards to the refund, as your reservation was made via a 3rd party – we could not offer the refund as that would need to be done directly with them. I do apologize for any inconvenience and can assure you this was an unforeseen event and is not the usual level of service and facility.

Once again, my sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory experience. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again and we are confident that your next stay will be pleasurable in every respect.

Vizag, Andhra Pradesh, India
Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at G hotel from 13 nov to 16 nov 2013 as part of official visit. The hotel has very good rooms, good b/f layout, and good std of dinning arrangements. The G spot Ni club is also very good with nice live band. The gym n the pool are also nicely located on the 3rd floor facing the sea. The location of the hotel is thw best part. The staff are friendly n very helpful. Management must be given the due credit for the same.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to share this review with us and it was great to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

Customer satisfaction is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. Thank you for also remembering the management and I have brought your comments to our team, to let them know that their effort to provide quality service is being appreciated.

Once again, thank you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Very convenient location as it is situated in between Gurney Paragon Mall & Gurney Plaza..Personally i prefer Gurney plaza as there are much more food choices.

However, I find the bed extremely hard...it's 1 of the hardest bed that I have ever sleep on.
Luckily i have only stayed for 3 nights.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with beach view..
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelgal_iris
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, 14 November 2013

Greetings from g Hotel!

I am pleased to hear that you love the location of the hotel as we at g Hotel are proud to be Malaysia’s most stylish address.

With regards to the bed, may I suggest that a mattress topper is to be placed on the bed which you can request via our Guest Service Centre during your next visit to enhance sleeping comfort.

Once again, our apologies for the less than satisfactory bed and thank you for your time in writing this review. We look forward to welcoming you back and have the opportunity to be of service again.

Dublin, California
Reviewed 8 November 2013

One of the best hotels out there. Very reasonable prices when I booked last month. They upgraded me to suite which is a great bonus. I just don't have that many negatives to report. The room is very good size, clean and comfortable. Some of the reviews mentioned about hard mattresses but my bed has topping in place which I found very comfortable.
One very early morning, my login to free Wifi does not work so I call the front desk for help. After some futile attempts to fix the issue, I give up and plan to talk to the tech guys the next morning. To my surprise, someone knocks on my door at 4:00am in the morning and provide me with fresh login information so I can continue with my web browsing. I really appreciated this gesture as what do you do at 4:00am in foreign country with no internet access!
One weakness that I can think of is their spa services. The prices are not as competitive if you compare to the neighboring shopping center massage offering. One of the massage place is in Gurney Plaza's Sutera Massa which has very good pricing and I especially like Lina who has somewhat petite figure but with very powerful fingers. The other spa place nearby called Zouk Spa which offers cheap price but mediocre massage.

Room Tip: Suites are definitely a lot roomier
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew L

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for sharing your recent stay experience with us and I am delighted to hear that g Hotel is one of the best hotels out there.

Our main aim is to raise G Hotel’s standard further while serving our esteemed guests and I am pleased to learn that one of our staffs took the extra mile to provide you with the login information.

Once again, thank you for your valuable review and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Moscow
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I liked this hotel greatly: nice location, excellent stuff, luxury design. I felt that i'm surrounded with service all around. What i didn't like and the only negative thing i could find was extremely bad WC near the lobby. The hotel should be good everywhere. But in that restroom i felt myself somewhere at the dirty railway station. U need to paint walls better and reconstruct them fully.
My recommendations is to ask for a sea-view room -city looks spectacular from upper floors. Go to swimming pool (if surely want) - starting from 11am otherwise u will not catch sun as the hotel is surrounded by buidings.
Opposite left to the hotel is amazing local food restaurant - don't panic the place doesn't look stunning. Trust me - the food is great.
Big shopping center is near as well.
For those who takes with them shampoos, conditioners and body gels - forget them at home. Hotel is offering Aigner cosmetics and -forgive me, guys! - excellent hand-made lemongrass soap which i (shame on me!) took with me)
Overall, the hotel is really great and thanks a lot for the service and your hospitality!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Nushkin

Greetings from g Hotel!

I am glad to hear that you like the hotel greatly but I was also concerned about the restroom’s cleanliness, it is definitely unacceptable for our usual standard. I have personally spoken to our Executive Housekeeper who will reinforce cleanliness in all restrooms especially the one near the lobby. Our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Once again, our apologies on the less than satisfactory restroom at the lobby and thank you for your kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back soon to provide you with our great service and hospitality.

Kulim, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

My family was flabbergasted when we checked into G Hotel after
a promise phone call to us when rooms are available. Our room
was without request upgraded to the floor size double than what
paid for. The lobby reception did a wonderful job of briefing us on
"what where when" information clearly and precisely ( Good name
Mr. Iz). The extra beds was brought in with all full amenities for
an extra person hinting the thoughtfulness for their customers
logical needs. You get a lot of smile early in the morning during
breakfast time with much food choices to choose from. My cook
on the spot omelet was wonderfully cooked and was thinking of
a repeat order but fortunately there will much good food around
early in the morning. This the best shopping spree cum hotel stay
I had ever experienced ( two "everything have plaza with G Hotel
in between with less than 3 minutes walk to each other").
This is one hotel that I felt had everything including the most
important factor ...customer satisfaction !

Room Tip: I stayed at 17th floor and is like the whole floor belongs to me...peace and tranquility.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank MisterLimSon

Greetings from g Hotel!

Thank you for taking the time to share this review with us. I am delighted to read that your stay with us was a great one.

Customer satisfaction is amongst our highest priorities and it is always gratifying to receive such praise. I have brought your comments to our team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
#17 of 84 in George Town
Le Dream Boutique Hotel
Le Dream Boutique Hotel
#3 of 84 in George Town

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!