“Nice Location, modern boutique hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of G Hotel Gurney

G Hotel Gurney
Ranked #16 of 82 Hotels in George Town
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Nice Location, modern boutique hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Located at gurney drive, Convenience , stylish room, clean and comfortable. Friendly staff. Great food at Miraku Japanese restaurant (1st floor) , Thank you to Mr Kumaren for excellent service. we will come back again ...

Room Tip: Please ask for seaview room, high floor and middle room you can see very nice view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kamarudinsmile77

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

It was a last minute weekend trip with parents and through recommendations of a local friend, we booked this hotel.

What a great recommendation it was, great location that comes with rooms with very generous size. We didn't expect much prior to arrival, as this was also my first visit to Penang, i didn't have the slightest idea of the hotel's great location.

The arrival and check in experience was good, hassle free and we will in our room within 20 minutes. 2 rooms were booked, same floor was accorded, not very high floor but we were not fussed about it. welcome ice-cream was a good touch though. We didn't spend much time in the room after check in as we found ourselves in the Gurney Drive food centre, which was 5 minutes walk from the hotel, in no time. The showers worked wonders, good water pressure and working heating system. Our rooms were serviced as expected, though we had to ask for face towels. Did i mention complimentary mini-bar? Well, 5 cans of soft drinks and 2 bars of Kit-Kats, and bottles of drinking water. Inexpensive items, but hey, its a nice touch that keeps guests talking.

The hotel is also adjacent to Gurney Plaza next door, which is very convenient.

In all, we will not hesitate to come back to this hotel, given its location and room size, the rates were reasonable and value for money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PenangGHotel, General Manager at G Hotel Gurney, responded to this review, 28 May 2014

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

I would like to thank you for your positive comments in regards to your recent stay.

Penang is a very interesting destination and it is great to hear your encouraging feedback and I do hope you will stay with us for your next visit.

Dallas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

I like to judge a hotel based on Service, Quality and Value

Service is OK, for the most part everybody is friendly.

Quality: rooms are ok. Very nice gym overlooking ocean. Swimming pool area is great place to relax with a book or a swim in a very large pool. This is my favorite area in the hotel. There is also a Spa by the pool area. My favorite spa is at Gurney Hotel down the street. Breakfast is great with many fresh and hot selections. Many restaurant options in hotel and also in Mall. Nice bar on second floor with Jazz music. If you want to try local food try hawker stand next to hotel. Hotel is next to a very large mall with great shopping.

Value: good value for quality. There are cheaper options down Gurney drive but lack the quality and service.

• Stayed January 2014

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Thank you for choosing us as your preferred accommodation and we are delighted to learn that you enjoy your stay with us.

We appreciate you taking the time to write and look forward for your return in the not too distant future.

Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

Great hotel with stylish atmosphere. Good fitness and swimming-pool facilities. Location is wonderful, in front of the see (ask for a sea view room!) and next to two shopping malls with bars, cinema and restaurants. I have to come to Penang one week every second month and I always try to book this hotel. Breakfast is very diverse including both asian and western food and a good range of fruit, cheese and nuts. The only thing the breakfast misses is fresh orange juice which is not always available.

What makes this hotel special is its great service. They are always very friendly, helpful and professional. Starting from the white-shirt ones from concierge (specially Zahar) to the staff at the executive floor. If you are on the executive floor, you will probably meet Shalenne. She is always very friendly and helpful. She can provide you great travelling tips and explain you the local culture too.

The quality of the wifi connection depends on the room. This can be a bit annoying if you are on a business trip.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

First of all, thank you for your kind words in regards to the excellent service you received. Your comments have been shared with our team, to let them know that their efforts to provide quality services are being appreciated.

I was however concerned to learn that you had encountered some challenges in regards to the WIFI connections. Please rest assured that our IT department will coordinate with our service providers to work out the best solution for the internet connections.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Taipei, Taiwan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

G Hotel is a great location right across from the water with excellent views from rooms on the front side of the hotel. There are shops and restaurants just behind and beside. There is a great hawker center just a short walk away. The lobby is opulent and elegant. The hotel smells great. The room was big, and I liked having the bed in the center of the room rather than pushed against a wall. The toiletries smelled fantastic. Overall, I was very impressed with the hotel. The staff, who didn't always understand our requests, were still very helpful and worked through until they did understand and were able to help us. I didn't get a chance to see the gym, but the pool looked nice from my room.
Then I walked into the breakfast restaurant. I have uploaded a picture, which I rarely do, because I was in a complete state of shock with what I saw when I entered the restaurant. Every table, not an exaggeration, every table was dirty (see pic). There were no visible staff members in the restaurant when I entered, and I saw about two the entire time I was in the restaurant. I had to move dirty plates off the table I wanted to use and could only hope that the cutlery was clean. The staff I did later see were moving at a glacial pace not really concerned with getting the restaurant back to what it should be. No one ever approached my table or offered any service of any kind. The food wasn't the worst I have ever had but definitely did not reflect the standards of the rest of the hotel. It was the worst breakfast experience I have ever had. To top it off, there were three staff members standing at the front door chatting as I left, including what I can only assume is the manager as he was suited, who smiled and told me to have a good day as I left! Knock off the conversation and get busy! I thought I was being overly sensitive until my colleagues, who had already dined and left by the time I arrived, both brought it up to me separately later in the day. They were equally disappointed.
I will go back, and the hotel is fantastic. But wow do they need to work on the breakfast!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Tripadvisor. We are glad to read that you are impressed with our rooms, lobby and the newly introduced luxury toiletries brand - Appelles.
At the same time, I was very sorry to read and see the unpleasant breakfast experience you had. This is totally unacceptable for our usual high standard and I have discussed your feedback with our Food & Beverage team to ensure similar incidents do not occur in the future.

Once again, thank you for bringing this matter to my attention and I sincerely hope you will give us an opportunity to show the correct level of service G Hotel is renowned for.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

I was upgraded to an exec suite for my 2 night stay. Huge suite with seperate bedroom to lounge. Flat screen TV in both lounge and bedroom. Full fridge/freezer in little kitchen with a small free (yes, free) minibar - soft drink, juice, soy milk & kit kat bars. Complimentary bottled water too. View out of the lounge window was of the carpark next door....if you leaned on the right angle you could see the beach and the view from the bedroom window was of the hotel swimming pool. I didn't eat breakfast but the buffet lunch and morning/afternoon teas put on for the conference was lovely. Fresh food and heaps of variety - asian and western food. The chilli prawns were amazing and so was the peanut butter cheesecake! At check in I was given a small sample portion of strawberry ice cream which was lovely. Wifi was included in the room rate but I did experience some trouble with it dropping out (probably more sensitive to this given I was here for work & needeed to work). Staff were friendly and accommodating. Nice range of wine at the bar. Bed is a bit hard and the drains in the bathroom stink a bit :(

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside facing room
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Firstly, thank you for your recent stay with us and it is our great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

I was concerned to read of the shortfall such as the unstable internet connection, stink drainage etc. and have discussed with the relevant departments to ensure this does not occur in the future. Our apologies for these shortcomings.

We are grateful for your support and we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future to show the usual high level of service delivered at G Hotel.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

I haven't been staying at this hotel for a good few years and it was rather refreshing to check back into this place. There aren't many changes in terms of the room. The design remains simple yet comfortable. The room is spacious and it is still well maintained. The deluxe room is able to cater to 3 pax (adults comfortably) or two adults with two toddlers. Please request for an extra bed in that process. The extra bed costs additional RM90.00.

The checking in process was effiecient and the room was already ready when I approached the receptionist. However, they didn't fulfilled my advanced request for a sea view room which I had to request again at the counter.

If you're driving to this premise, be sure to be annoyed with the idea of validating the parking ticket each time you're leaving the premise. I would strongly suggest for the hotel to come up with a more effective method in handling this. Or to have a designated counter to validate the tickets as each time it seems to be a queue at the front desk which is not very pleasant for all guests.

The breakfast at the hotel was lovely. A standard range of food choices. Do expect to be greeted with a big smile by the kind gentlemen at the restaurant. He seemed to recognize the guests which was wonderful. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get his name.

Overall, the experience was amazing. Perfect location. The hotel is connected to Gurney Plaza and it is extremely convenient. I would definitely come back to this hotel for my next stay.

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Michiko69

Warm greetings from g Hotel !

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us.

In regards to your comment of the parking validating system, we will definitely review this and see if there is a more efficient method of control.

Once again, thank you for your constructive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next trip to Penang.

Also consider these accommodations in or near George Town
Seven Terraces
Seven Terraces
#1 of 82 in George Town
Golden Sands Resort by Shangri-La

Been to G Hotel Gurney? Share your experiences!