“Paradise for vegetarians in SE-Asia”
Review of Sri Ananda Bahwan

Sri Ananda Bahwan
Ranked #40 of 986 Restaurants in George Town
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 12 May 2014

After starving for tasty and vegetarian food in Thailand, getting to know the Indian restaurants in Penang was a treat - getting to know Ananda was a dream!
Even though it's kind of a typical Indian 'fast food' place with very basic tables and chairs, their food topped all my expectations with excellently to the point cooked dishes - not a hint less in quality than other, more 'sophisticated' places around there.
Their menue takes a while to read through, regretfully I hadn't had the time try them all; but there was no dish less than excellent, having one or two meals there for 6 consecutive days...
Good to know for vegetarians is that there are 2 Ananda restaurants, app. 50m apart from each other; the one at the corner also serves meat dishes, the other one a bit further to the left is purely vegetarian, and also serves vegan food. Since I could 'tick' only one occasion (from bf to dinner, I chose dinner, but I tried breakfast, lunch, and dinner there.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This isn't just a restaurant, this is an experience!

In the heart of Little India, this restaurant's food is incredible (and very well priced). Instead of plates, they'll spread a banana leaf on the table and put your food right on the leaf. And don't be shy, you dive right in with your hands to eat everything on your leaf.

The environment is very loud and hectic, with servers running around everywhere, but in this context it adds to the experience. Despite being so busy, every server will take a moment to patiently answer your questions and help you out with anything you need.

Highly recommend this restaurant!

1  Thank AlnAbroad
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My guesthouse recommended this place and it lived up to expectations. Some of the best Indian food I've tasted. It's also really cheap. I was trying to see how far I could stretch $10 AUD on cheap eats in Georgetown. It's fair to say that can buy enough food for two or more people. Took some photos and wrote an article on food in Penang which I've posted on my blog www.adventuresofkris.com

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Eating from a banana leaf is a new one for me and as the only westerners in here we took a little time watching what everyone else was ordering. By the time we ordered we just went mad wanting to try everything and we were not disappointed by anything that came (fish dishes, chicken tandoori, mushroom curry, garlic chicken, vegetable rice, parathas, naan's)! The service was pretty good and they told us they sold beer when actually they don;t - they sent someone out to buy Tiger's especially for us! It was truly one of the best curries I have ever eaten anywhere - so fresh and tasty. I wish I could pop in here on a regular basis - my local curry establishment is just not going to cut it any more :-(

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great India food!! We went everyday of our trip, We had the waiter order our breakfast and he returned with delectable roti canai and dips.
The next day we returned to sample their meat dishes, on display when you walk in. Don't be afraid to ask what everything is. Meals served on banana leafs. Be sure to try a pistachio dessert on your way out! You can take your leftovers to go as well.

1  Thank Maryellen G