“Go Low with the Pro...”

The Golf Academy Borneo
Ranked #77 of 215 things to do in Sabah
More attraction details
Owner description: The Golf Academy Borneo located at Sutera Harbour Resort, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia was established in 2009 by Neil Douglas, British PGA Professional. Since then Neil has been joined by two other British PGA Professionals, The Golf Academy Borneo offers a friendly and enjoyable learning centre for all levels and ages of golfers, Beginner to Professional, Junior to Senior.All our staff are fully qualified British PGA Professionals and offer professional expertise and advice in swing theory, video analysis, custom fitting and equipment checks.We have the ability to improve your game.The Golf Academy Borneo at Sutera Harbour offers first class teaching facilities with a 42 bay floodlit driving range, 10,000 sq ft putting green, practice bunker and grass tee. The grass tee is a key feature as it gives a more realistic teaching experience making it easier to transfer your game from the driving range to the golf course.
Reviewed 26 May 2013

Neil has been my golf teacher and mentor at the Golf Academy Borneo for a couple of years now and I am delighted with the experience and results - highly recommended. I started with Neil as an 11 handicapper with aspirations to get my game back to the standard I played at as a Junior many, many years back (I was a 6 h'cap then stopped playing for over 15 years...). We worked on my grip, posture, alignment and key fundamentals for a consistent and repetitive strike on the range. It takes a good deal of time and effort to get rid of bad habits and put that consistency back, but Neil's philosophy is not to break what is not broken or tamper unnecessarily with your swing or theorise excessively. In other words, you get straight-forward, easy-to understand keys to unlock your golf game which have almost instant effect and benefit.
The range work then progressed to on-course play and this is really for me where my game was taken to a whole new level. I regularly book '9 or 18 holes with the Pro' to fine-tune shot-making, shot selection and get more and more into the "mental side" of golf, which, it seems to me, is absolutely critical to advance your scoring. The tips and insider-thinking are invaluable, believe me, to make the most of your game. Of course, a great short-game helps too but we have done due diligence on that key aspect of the game as well. And I practice this more than anything...
I am now a 3.3 handicap and have aspirations to become a scratch player. And, I firmly believe I will in the next year or so. I am even more excited about my game and its potential...
This would not have happened without Neil's vital input to my golfing efforts. He owns and manages a great set-up at Sutera Harbour and has two excellent Pros working with him in Fraser and Paul.
I have learnt so much and I have had immense amounts of fun, enjoyment and genuine sense of achievement. And that makes me a very happy golfer!!!
Whether a beginner or more advanced golf addict (like me), these guys have got what it takes - if you are in KK or coming, and, into your golf, definitely give them a go - your game will thank you!

Reviewed 25 May 2013

My son and I booked a three day course of lessons with the Golf Academy and Paul Angell was our coach. We are both golfers with handicaps in the low 20's and Paul worked on all facets of our game. Swing video analysis helped a lot. The short game coaching was great and we have both dropped our scores significantly. The last lesson was 18 holes with Paul and is the best way to improve golf skills. Overall a great way to spend time on your game and the results have been excellent. Will do the program again next year.

Reviewed 22 May 2013

I had a few golf lessons with Paul (English guy) in a fantastic setting. The lesson itself was fun and very handy. My handicap is 19 so have lots of flaws to work with but over the course of the week I was already happier with my swing and game on the course.

Highly recommended and very friendly!

Reviewed 17 May 2013

Leading up to our holiday at Sutera Harbour my golf had deteriorated primarily as a result of poor chipping and pitching. I booked a lesson at the Golf Academy Borneo and spent an hour with Paul Angell, a young pro who recently joined the Academy. On my return home I broke my handicap on my first two competition days, the feature being the quality of my pitching, saving pars to keep the round going. A huge thank you to Paul and the Academy!

Reviewed 16 May 2013

An Englishman a Scotsman and…………………another Scotsman, I know it sounds like the start of a bad pub joke, but this is no joke, The Golf Academy Borneo at the Sutera Harbor Resort is fantastic. My wife and I came here in April 2013 for our honeymoon and while she was off having a spa treatment I decided to get a golf lesson. My instructor for the lesson was the Englishman, a guy by the name of Paul, very professional and knowledgeable on the topic of golf, which is what you want from an instructor. Instructions were made in a clear and simple easy to follow manor which enabled me to make sense of why my shots were doing the things they were, in my case slicing the ball ( I’m sure I had lots of other things wrong, but this was the main one I wanted to address). I’ve had lessons before here in Australia and the instructor has shown me 1 thing at the beginning of the lesson and then I’ve gone over that drill for the next half hour, and although I may of needed that piece of information I’m sure it could of gone hand in hand with another instruction. This is where Paul at The Golf Academy Borneo was great, he didn’t just tweak one thing he made a few small changes that all put together made a big difference to my game. Included in the lesson is a brief video analysis which I found very helpful, being able to see what I’m doing wrong gives me a better understanding of what I should be doing to make it right.

I was so impressed with the lesson I had received that I offered to pay for the wife to have an 2 ½ treatment so I could have a lesson on the course over 9 holes with Paul. Again this was a great experience as it enabled me to put into practice everything that we had gone over a couple of days before in the lesson. It’s also good for practicing every kind of shot you may face on the course, from the rough, fairway bunker, bush, greenside bunker, and yes, I landed and faced all these problems while playing and as a result I have a better understand of what I should be doing to avoid these obstacles but most importantly how to play out of these situations.

The prices are very good value, especially when compared to what you could expect to pay here in Australia. They also offer 3, 4 and 5 day packages which were well priced. Prices included all equipment, buggy, clubs, green fees, drinks and range balls. I don't remember the price off the top of my head but remember it was good value. Check out their website for more information.

The two Scotsman ( the other 2 pro’s at the club) were also very helpful, professional and friendly, they will happily speak golf with you as well as have some great recommendations as where to eat in town.

Overall I can’t speak highly enough of the staff and facilities and The Golf Academy Borneo, I enjoyed the experience so much that I’m planning on going back next year with a couple of friends for a golfing holiday and to further improve my game.

A big thanks for the great experience.