“Tough Climb in rough conditions”
Review of Mount Kinabalu

US$67.50*
Full Day Kinabalu Park Tour
US$84.40*
and up
Kinabalu Park Canopy Walkway and Poring Hot Springs Full-Day Tour from Kota...
Ranked #3 of 199 things to do in Sabah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Tough Climb in rough conditions”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Having trekked up a few mountains in the past, I was expecting this mountain to be similar, and knew it would be hard, particularly since I wasnt in the fittest state I had ever been in. Still, I was looking forward to it, as it is always exhilirating when you reach the top. Regretfully, we experienced torential rain for the entire 4h 45min walk on Day 1, with high winds and low visibility, meaning I was soaked (even with a goretex jacket) and cold within 45min. At least this kept the temperature down, but it was the most unpleasant conditions you could imagine to walk in, with water cascading down the walking path like a small waterfall. However, the weather wasnt the biggest challenge for me - it was the steep incline of the walk itself - there are hundreds upon hundreds of steps - mostly naturally formed, which when combined with the atrocious conditions made this the toughest walk I have done on a mountain. You have to have a certan level of fitness to walk this - if this is your first mountain climb, it could well put you off doing others in the future as it is so tough.Anyway, we reached Pendang hut in mid afternoon - wet and cold and exhausted. I had a luke warm shower which was nice, and multiple cups of tea - I could feel my fingers about60 min later. It cleared up about dinner time and we had stunning views across to KK which was nice! It reamined clear for the rest of the night so we all got up at 1:30am to do the summit. Unfortunately, 30min into the accent, it rained again (heavily) and the mist came in, meaning we had to descend - no summit was reached on our climb, or the previous days...). Up again at 6:30am for a nice breakfast, and we descended the hill - with no rain! but overcast conditions. Unfortunately, I had strained tendons behind my left knee on Day 1 which meant a slow (and painful) descent, but my guide very helpfully gave me a knee brace to wear, and provided me with walking sticks (a real help !). I saw lots of squirrels at one stop, some neat fauna, and a lovely big red leech, with some good views at a handful of spots along the way. So - it became more of a physical and mental challenge rather than an experience to climb and enjoy the views, but I would recommend it to others, as in good weather, I think it would be fantastic!
Tips:
1. Book through Amazing Borneo Tours - very well organised and they take care of everything!
2. Prepare for the worst weather!
3. Make sure you have a pack liner for both inside and outside of your pack.
4. Take 2 sets of spare clothes.
5. Make sure you are physically prepared for a 4 - 5 hr climb up a steep incline on Day 1 - it is not easy!!!!

2 Thank Mike M

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Berlin, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“One day to summit trek”
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

The only reason for the one day attempt to summit was, that I did not get any accomodation/ two day package at the Sutera Harbour office. To get the one day permit is really easy, just go to the park entrance the day before and fill in all the forms. The next morning you go there again, pay your guide and start your trek. My guide was pretty useless as he didnt talk and didnt care about me at all, but aksed for more money during the trek. The trek itself was the hardest thing ever, I cried in the end coming down. My legs were too tired. And I couldnt really enjoy it as I had to rush up and down. But a two day trek is well worth it I guess.

Perth, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Day trip and hot springs”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Mt view was great and tree top walk. Hot springs a joke!! Tub with a tiny tub and only got to our ankles after half a hour. Need a lot of time to fill the tubs. Horrible squeaky bus for 3 hour trip spoilt the journey

sydney
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A Great Experience- Guide Francis is brillant”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I had a brilliant time on this hike. My mobile phone was stolen by a staff member at the guesthouse (see Laban Rata reviews) but the climb itself was beautiful, painful and exhilarating.

I would like to recommend my guide Francis Yabie, he seemed a little bit older than some of the other guides but really experienced, knowledgeable and trustworthy. I'm sure the other guides are good too, but I'd like to say a few words about mine.

I was doing the climb solo and believe he is the reason I reached the peak and have no great soreness afterwards as he advocated a steady pace (we were still the first to reach the peak so it wasn't actually that slow but he would pull me up for going too fast when he knew we still had a way to go)

My shoes were not appropriate for the granite that makes up the majority of the peak climb and I kept slipping as it's rainy season, making me very nervous, but Francis lent me his shoes and helped me in the really steep bits. He really wants to make sure you feel safe and also teaches you the best technique for doing things like the ropes bit.

Apparently you can request your guide so if you're a first time mountain climber ask for Francis!

1 Thank anywherebuthere45
Kathmandu, Nepal
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Dreaming to climb up Kinabalu.”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Being as a Trekking Guide as well as a Tour and trekking operator in Nepal Himalaya, I have heard a lots about the beautiful of mount Kinabalu and national park in Malaysia. I have organized many trekking trips in Himalaya of Nepal to Malaysian friends and groups, hearing from them about Kinabalu, made me jealous to be there once, I am dreaming to trek around Kinabalu national park and climb up Kinabalu. some of my Malaysian friend also inviting me to trek together.
Once for sure will see you there friend !
Madan Neupane
Touch The Himalaya Treks and Expedition Pvt. Ltd.
Nurshing Chowk, Thamel Kathmandu Nepal.

Visited August 2013