“Be well prepared if you want to climb to the top without suffering”
Review of Mount Kinabalu

US$67.50*
Full Day Kinabalu Park Tour
US$84.40*
and up
Kinabalu Park Canopy Walkway and Poring Hot Springs Full-Day Tour from Kota...
Ranked #4 of 199 things to do in Sabah
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Be well prepared if you want to climb to the top without suffering”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Climbing Mt. Kinabalu is great experience if you are fit, otherwise can probably become a nightmare (as we could see on the faces of many fellow climbers). We were lucky with the weather both days, so we were rewarded with the beautiful sunrise which we enjoyed so much even though it was really cold. It was so windy that even five layers of clothes didn't help much, especially when we had to wait almost an hour for the sun to come up. On the second day we started climbing at 3am (among the last), but it was still too early and we had to wait for the sunrise quite some time. Luckily the guide was really patient even though it seemed he was freezing as well. Don't forget to spare energy for the descent as it was much tougher then going up, especially for the knees.

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Newcastle, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“TYH Borneo Tour & Travels”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We had tour guide Keddy and he made all the difference.
He was knowledgable and helpful.
The experience was lovely too.

Visited August 2014
3 Thank SarahJaneF87
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Good challenge to yourself !”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Start at Timpohon gate check point and group of 6. most of us without training. Just went jogging for 2-3times and we really go climb highest mountain in our country. We took 7hours+ almost 8hrs to reach laban rata guesthouse. This tell us, never give up !! It just matter of times !
This is the MUST see place in Malaysia especially for those Malaysians. Food is good, maybe we all hungry :)
I advised you take 4days3nights package. A day stay in kinabalu park, a day up overnight in laban rata, 2nd day stay one more night after came down from peak ! So you got plenty of time to rest and enjoy the nice view on top. Lots of people give up halfway .. When on the way to summit. Maybe they worry later they still got long way to get down from top. Take another 5-6hours ?! So... Better rest at guesthouse will do ... Cause nice view also can enjoy here. I personally think of that too ! Finally... near yet so far ! Never reach peak ! So.. Dont challenge to others.. Challenge to yourself ! Take your time to get there(summit).
4d3n is the best.
You will get a color cert if you compleated your climb to low's peak(summit), but if u are not.. U get only non color cert.
porter fee about MYR 80-125/10kg depants on which route you follow. Please dont bring too many things ! Bring only necessary cloths n items.
My perfect trip .. which can climb, get to know the teamwork of my group and trust. What a wouderful trip.
Ps. Get a pair of kampung adidas shoe @ MYR 8 in KK Market

Visited January 2014
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The Other Review: Be very prepared”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Climbing Mount KK will not only test your physical strength but your mental strength. There are plenty of blogs and reviews that will tell you what to do and etc. but I found out many other things when I did my climb in May.
1. Spend money on a proper raincoat and windbreaker. Hiking 5 hours in the pouring rain in a RM5 raincoat will not suffice.
2. Bring a hair dryer - it is useful in drying your wet clothes and everything that is wet.
3. Bring extra shoes - shoes does not dry fast.
4. Bring a BAG LOAD of happy thoughts and motivating material, you will need something to push you on the arduous hike up and down.
5. Bring everything you need in case you get physically injured - knee and ankle guards, painkillers.
6. Know where are the rest stops and toilets on the trail so you can control your bowels and bladder.

And when you are climbing to the summit (Laban Rata to Low's Peak), think about conserving energy for the hike down. Going down the mountain is equally physically challenging and mentally draining (you'll just want to be out of the jungle asap). My friends who exerted themselves on the Summit and injured themselves SUFFERED on the climb down Timpohon.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank LCY8
Vienna, Austria
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Typhoon while you climb”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We took the Timpohon route, which is the shorter but steeper option, our goal being the Lagadan hut at 3323m where we would spend the night. As we slept at sea level the night before, I was a bit concerned about altitude sickness, which luckily proved to be unnecessary. The weather forecast was rather bad, but we were told that the weather on the mountain is unpredictable anyway, as it is so close to the shore.

The moment we stepped out of the car we could feel a difference in the climate. While the coast was at cosy 30+ degrees, up here the air felt cool and chilly although we were wearing jumpers. The mountain itself was hidden behind a smoke screen of could and mist, so there was no telling what lay before us. The track started quite steep and kept climbing at a steady pace. Luckily our bags were rather light as we only packed lunch and some additional clothing layers for the top, and all in all the going was easier than expected.

The rain came 2 hours after we started. It was a drizzle at first, which soon turned into solid rain. Gradually that initial rain turned into a torrential downpour with gusts of wind strong enough to blow trees over. Later we would find out the mountain was hit by a typhoon while we were climbing. We did anticipate rain, and we were equipped with good soft shell rain jackets and rain ponchos, but there is no equipment out there that would have kept us dry in a mayhem like that. What made the situation worse is that the few shelters that are scattered along the track are completely open to the sides, which made them all but useless. Gradually, the track turned from a steep path into an icy waterfall that at times would reach over our knees. We were still hours away from salvation, and the going was though, to put it mildly.

A lot of people were caught completely off guard. We passed and older gentleman in sandals and shorts, shaking violently while a group was hugging him in an attempt to slow down hypothermia. I was starting to feel first signs of hypothermia myself. I thought about putting on some additional layers, but I was feeling relatively fine as long as I kept moving, so I decided against it, hoping that my thermal underwear and my fleece will stay dry for the next day, safely tucked away in my bag.

We arrived at the Laban Rata hut around 3pm, not a minute too soon (this was not our hut, but we would find that out later). Nikki passed straight trough the door, walked to the nearest table and had a short cry on the floor. It took my body a couple of seconds to realize that I wasn't being pummeled by the weather anymore, then I had a look around. And what a sight that was. All around us people were sitting wrapped up in thick blankets. A middle aged man was running around in his underwear, doing squats while trying to stop the shaking. A girl was asking apathetically if anyone had some dry clothes to spare. Some people were crying - not exactly scenes you would expect on a tropical island. I joined Nikki at the table and sat down, exhausted. Then I started shaking myself. She got up to get me some hot water, but my hands were shaking so badly that I spilled every single drop before I could bring it to my mouth.

Our hut was approximately 100m further up the mountain, and just the thought of getting out there again was harrowing. Once we reached the hut we took off all of our clothes and crawled into the sleeping bags, as there was no heating, fire or hot water. We were supposed to get up at 3-4am on the next morning to go for the summit, but Nikki decided against it, which I could understand very well. My plan was to get up and decide then and there. If the weather conditions were too dangerous, the gate to the summit would be closed anyway. Hopefully.

I got up at 3:40am after a short and uncomfortable night. Tired and a bit confused, I went to the lounge where I found some other ghostly figures that probably looked just as out of place as I did. Outside it was still pitch black and the wind was howling savagely. I examined my clothes that were hanging nearby. They were as cold and wet as on the previous day and I started asking myself what I was doing there.

Around 4:30am the guides reluctantly announced that they were going to open the gates, but they would not be able guarantee our safety and should the weather take a turn for the worse we had to get down straight away. I put on every single piece of gear I had, turned my head torch on and prepared myself for another beating. Outside the situation wasn't as bad as it seemed while we were in the hut. Although it was still raining and there was quite a bit of wind, it was nowhere near the disastrous proportions of the previous day.

Physically the climb wasn't too hard, although one could definitely feel the higher altitude. It followed multiple sets of steep stairs which would later be replaced by a barren granite slab, with a couple of almost vertical rock walls in between. A thick white rope was layed out from the start of the rock wall and followed up the track all the way to the top, serving as a hand hold and guide. After a while the rain stopped and was replaced by a thick fog that reduced the visibility to only a couple of meters. Together with the lack of oxygen and the first light of the breaking dawn, the surroundings soon turned into an unreal and eerie place.

The summit was quite anticlimactic. Crowded, cold and completely engulfed in fog, the only thing indicating that we were on Borneo's highest mountain was the signpost reading "Low's Peak - 4095.2m". I took the obligatory photo and headed back down. The sun was starting to rise and seemed to burn some holes through the fog, finally opening the view to the valley bellow.

Visited September 2013