“Leaves a lot to be desired”

Imperial International Hotel
Ranked #52 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 7 December 2011

LOCATION: This is the biggest selling point of Imperial International Hotel. It is located at city center, near waterfront, Filipino Market and shops.

ROOM: Room is big. Unfortunately, lighting is poor. Wifi is not available inside the room; instead, cable connection is required. This can present a problem to smartphone and iPad users.

SERVICE: I can't say much about service, as I only stayed one night here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 27 November 2011

There is no parking space for taxi or anyone to pick/drop you. Room service done but they didn't leave any towels behind. We had to call them.

Location is good. That's all.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jerrylowyl
Reviewed 1 July 2011

There are much better hotels for the value in KK. My first night we had a power cut which is normal in KK. Lifts not working so asked the staff how long, no idea, so I asked where the stairs were, very little help and she looked annoyed I was not waiting like the rest. Took the fire escape up and it is full of rubbish building work and very dangerous. Room ok but would not stay again as service is very bad. This is a very odd hotel to say the least.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Jaheath80
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I booked a hotel room for my mom, who is nearly 60 years old. She loves the room as this hotel is surrounded by malls, cafes and shops. The staffs are friendly and nice to her. I need to point out that my mum does not know English, so, they manage to communicate with her well in dialect. In this case, I should give out merit points to the staffs.

Shopping Tip : walking distance to Gaya street, jetty, night market, malls with a few international brands, authentic foods and cafes.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2011

Checked into this hotel for 4 nights stay in March 2011 and the location is great and is within stone throw distance to everything. Across the road is the water-front centre with few f&b outlets and pub lounge, slightly further on the right is the local fruits market, wet market and philipino market (pasar malam) and you could find all kind of grill seafood and local delicacy. Walk further to the right (15-20 minutes) you could reached Jesselton Point where you could go for island hopping.
I stayed in a sea view deluxe room and the view is fabulous, however the room is just average and the room service is below average. I've checked in the hotel rooms with few light bulbs faulty and it was not changed until we checked out even i've complained to front counter on the 1st day we checked in. During our 4 night stay, 2 days our room was not make up and we have to call housekeeping to clean our room after a whole day outing.
The breakfast is terrible but it's not a problem since you could simply walk down to a nearby stall.
In general, the location is fantastic but don't expect much on the room and service so your stay will be a pleasant one.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank ng_angie16
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Right smack in the center of town within walking distance of everything interesting in town.

Room was spacious, good, clean and comfortable. I dozed off surfing with the wifi. No cockroaches as mentioned in previous review.

En suite was modern and spacious but the water from the shower will wet the whole floor as there was no barrier in the open shower except for a full height glass between shower and basin.

Room comes with iron, ironing board and electronic safe in a small wardrobe. There's also a LCD tv and minibar. Got a free 15 minutes free fish spa in next block.

Breakfast variety is good but could be replenished at a greater speed.

Reception is cold and seems not to understand or speak much English.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed here for three nights in January 2011. I have seen cockroaches in my second day here and there in the hotel, but the worst moment was when I found a cockroach crawling up on my arm while I was sleepng! The breakfast was horrible, on my third day I found that the pancake had full of mold inside - how come no one noticed it when the colour turned almost black?? My recommendation is, never stay here!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family