“Well Located and Excellent Convenience”

Imperial International Hotel
Ranked #52 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 4 May 2009

The best thing about this hotel is, it is very well located amongst all the shopping and bustles of a city. We had our foot massage 5 mins walk away and dinner and just round the corner another heaps of eateries. The hotel room is nice and comfortable. It is definitely more than basic. However, the service crew needs to be more attentive and responsive to requests. We had in-room dining and the food was delectable. The Sunday Hi-Tea (RM18 nett) was a steal - cheapest hi tea we ever had and probably one of the best around in Malaysia for a little hotel. In summary, a very good place to stay. We won't mind checking in this hotel again on our next visit.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 April 2009

The hotel is in a great location, within walking distance to Centre Point Shopping Centre, the waterfront and many eating outlets however, we found the service and housekeeping a bit of a let down.

On a daily basis we had to chase up housekeeping for towels and toilet paper which they continuously forgot to supply, our room was missing furniture and reception was very slow. Overall not a bad hotel, however don't expect more than a1 star service here.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank feogs_25
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 24 April 2009

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 22 April 2009

- first of all i want to thank to all the hotel staff (except the front desk) for their friendly and helpful to us during our stay at your hotel.
- your room was very nice, i got the waterfront view. your room interior was excellent and clean. i'm very happy for your room.
- your hotel location is good. walking distance to all the shopping complexes, restaurant (food court), night market, handicraft market, dry fish market and walking distance to the Gaya street Sunday market.
- but one thing i dont like about your service was;
your front desk was very slow, its take me nearly 30 minutes just to check whether my room (already booked quite sometimes) is ready or not. at last your reception was telling me that your connecting room is not available (not yet ready), it only ready about 2.30pm. ok, i can wait. after few hours (about 6.00pm) i came and asked for the room, your reception was saying there is no room available. What a nonsense. it is your four star service???? and the best thing you can't provide us the same (connecting room) room that i have already booked earlier.
it really make me angry. i came with my family and yet you seperate us to another floor. useless.
- your breakfast also very limited choice. i have been to a few hotel same star with your hotel, but their breakfast much better than your hotel. Please improve your breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 18 April 2009

• Stayed: April 2009
Reviewed 17 April 2009

My husband and I were in KK for 8 days in Mar09 and we stayed in 4 hotels - Jesselton, Gayana, Mercure and Imperial International. Do read my review of each as all offered something different.

Our story :
- As my title suggests, the location is the best thing of this hotel. In terms of shopping and eating, it is next to Warisan Square, opposite Centrepoint (we liked this one), various seafood restuarants, walking distance to the handicraft market, fish market, night market, KK Plaza etc. It faces the waterfront.
- We had a superior room with a partial seaview. The room was spacious and clean. The mattress was firm and we slept well. I think there are some rooms with windows that face another room, so be careful when booking.
- We arrived at 12.30pm and we were allowed to check in even though officially it was 2pm. The check in and out was smooth.
- The bathroom did not have shower curtain, rubber mat to stand safely in the bath tub and bath towels. So I called housekeeping and they sent the things in about 10min. The safe was locked and the manager came within 10 min to fix it. I was happy with the service.
- The buffet breakfast spread was very limited and the food not very tasty. The Western spread is limited to plain bread, jam, peanut butter, donut and muffin. The Asian spread was just a little better. For me, I am used to Western breakfast every day so I was disappointed . On the 1st day, there was an egg station, so I had toast and egg. 2nd day, no egg station, so I had toast and peanut butter ! Sounds like something I eat at home rather than in a hotel ! Fortunately, we were leaving for an early morning flight and I would say the tuna bun and chicken bun I had on board Malaysia Airlines were far tastier!
- This hotel, I believe, must have been quite nice when it was newer. Now, signs of aging is everwhere - room, bathroom, reception, lift, corridor, breakfast restuarant. I truly feel that if the management do some face-lift and improve the breakfast, it will really help.
- By the way, the seafood restuarant we tried is called TwinSky and it is 7min walk from this hotel. Both tourists and locals go there. The food is good and affordable. Try it ! Next to it are a few other seafood restuarants, so look for the signboard. While there, we also saw this buffet steamboat (hotpot) restuarant called Tang Dynasty, many local families were eating there, wanted to try it the next night but it was closed! Shame.

In conclusion, my title sums it all up, it is ok to stay in this hotel 1 or 2 nights for the excellent location.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2009

We checked into the Imperial International Hotel over the Easter holiday weekend in April 2009. Located at the heart of Kota Kinabalu's major shopping and dining belts, the hotel was a perfect place in terms of location. However, the service of the front office staffs leave much to be desired.

Check in took more than 20 minutes to process even though there was only 1 guest ahead of us. We booked 2 superior rooms over the internet but was informed that only 1 room was ready when we checked in at 12.30pm.

Our second room was ready at 2pm but was infomed that they had already issued the breakfast vouchers for the 2 rooms. In fact, we had only received the vouchers for our 1st room. At our insistence, and after much bouncing back and forth and verification between the reception, it was night-time before they decided to release the breakfast vouchers to us.

The superior rooms that were allocated to us were located at the 10th storey. They commanded an excellent view of the Kota Kinabalu's skyline. The rooms were spacious and comfortable even though the rooms were clearly showing signs of aging and tiredness. Our in-room safe was not working and it was only after calling twice for assistance that the supervisor came by and unlock the safe. By the morning we check-out, the toilet flushing system was no longer working. We have lost interest to feedback to the management knowing that help would take sometime to rectify.

The buffet breakfast was at the roof top restaurant. It was ok and the nasi lemak was delicious. The view from the roof top was amazing even though the glass was tainted with stains which affected visibility.

Generally, we enjoyed our stay at the Imperial International Hotel. The hotel could certainly do better with organised check-in staff who would listen to the needs of the hotel guests.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends