“Reasonable price for excellent hotel”

Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I choose to stay at Tune Hotels whenever I visit Kota Kinabalu because it is within 1Borneo Shopping Mall, East Malaysia's largest shopping, dining & lifestyle mall. So it is easy to shop, dine and find public transports. There is a 24 hour 7-Eleven convenient shop and a tour desk in the lobby. The rooms with windows are more comfortable. Even though the beds and bathrooms are clean but the housekeeping and room service are quite poor. They did not cleaned our rooms for about two days as we stayed here for 6 days and 5 nights. Some of the cloth hangers are missing and one of the air cons in our rooms was not in good condition.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu

Reviewed 12 June 2014

We stayed here for 11 nights so have a good account of our stay here.
When you book a tune hotel stay, it is stated clearly everywhere that most things are extra so we had a good idea of what we were getting for our money.

Really for the price its not that bad, sure the décor is a bit patchy and the aircon is not really that efficient but we found that if you have the aircon and the fan on at full blast it does bring the temperature down to tolerable levels within 10-15 mins.
The hallways on the other hand are really quite stuffy with no ventilation whatsoever.

We found the housekeeping ok doing their work at reasonable hours, i.e in the afternoon when we were out, not knocking at the door in the mornings. They were also reasonably competent, refilling anything that was needed and quite clean.

Remember you are paying near backpacking prices here so please adjust your expectations and you will just be fine. If you are expecting Hilton hotel quality please do look elsewhere and extend your budget to match.

The staff at the lobby are great, nothing is too much of a problem for them.
We just asked what we needed and always received a informed answer.
Dave at the front desk is a mountain of local knowledge and always has a smile for you and has loads of tips on the buses and where to eat.

We thought the position of this hotel to be great . You don't even need to walk outside to go to the mall it is interconnected to the hotel and here you will find everything you need from a food court to a cinema, even a supermarket and all the shopping you will ever need.

If you need to go to kk all you need to do is walk over the flyover and catch a bus. All it costs Is 1rm per person and there is a bus every five minutes . Just remember where you got off and when you need to get back just catch the return bus from the opposite side. Easy

We found doing this saved a lot of money over taxis which is pretty much of a ripoff.
I'm sure everyone who uses tripadvisor is savvy enough to do their planning before they come and not adverse to a bit of travelling by bus.

The big downside is there is a disco beside the lobby at the hotel and the music IS pretty loud. We stayed on the top floor and could hear it quite clearly so god knows what's it like on the first floor. So ask for the highest floor you can get.

There is also a tour rep at the lobby and the prices for excursions are in line with everywhere else. But they do transfers to the airport which is cheaper than getting a taxi that also seats six or seven. I don't know if they do pickups but if they do and you have a big family maybe it is an idea to phone up to ask to save on getting two taxis from the airport to the hotel.

All on all , a hotel that is thoroughly in line with my expectations to what I paid for.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank hamish88
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Had a 2 night stay in here,overall this is what i come up with
-can't really beat the price,70myr is what you get for living inside a shopping mall
-for one,the aircon is really bad,its not doing what it supposed to do
-i highly suggest the management make some sort of ventilation in each room,it's seriously hot and chocking
-the staff on front desk are friendly and helpful
-but the cleaning staff not doing the job properly, and cleaning at the wrong time(should do it in mid morning instead of evening when we're in the room)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
DeSilvaTunehotels, Manager at Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry about the faulty air conditioning unit and about the housekeeping activities.

The room cleaning schedule is from 9am to 5 am, so if you do not want you room cleaned, you'll have to decline housekeeping activities by placing the do not disturb sign on the door or informing the front desk when is the best time clean your room.

Please let me know your room number so that I could get the fix it crew to check and rectify this issue. You could reach me directly at sharon.desilva@tunehotels.com for with all the necessary details or connect with me for any further assistance in future.

We hope to serve you better on your next visit.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 May 2014

My only regret is I am not aware of by using the hotel TV,Wifi I had to pay for the extra services.I had been to so many places and hotels and this is the first time I experience this kind of services.Should I had known this I would not have choose this hotel.To the management of this hotel I would like to urge for free services for all this as most an all the hotel does,if not you will loose a lot of customers and disgruntled customer like me.Most of the guest that we spoke also aligned to what I felt.To go down to the main lobby to get hot water is a long2 way.Should install at every level for easy guest usage.Lobby seating areas should add more seats for guests while waiting.

Room Tip: Choose a room with windows openings to avoid boreness.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
DeSilvaTunehotels, Manager at Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thanks for the feedback.

We could afford competitive rates by offering the basics, like bed,shower and fan. Guests pay extra for what they need such as Air conditioning and WIFI. This helps conserve energy and savings to guests at the same time.

We take note of the rest of the feedback and hope you will choose us next time when you plan your travels.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 May 2014

If you know Tune Hotels, you know that they have good beds and showers and are pretty inexpensive. For other things, like wifi, air conditioning and towels, you pay a la carte. That's all fine with me. But in KK, the location is way out of town. The redeeming part is it's located in 1Borneo which is the biggest mall in Borneo, so if shopping is your thing, this might be the best place. But to get downtown and to the islands, you have to take a bus. Most inconvenient was arriving in the evening at the airport and having to pay more than a night's stay for taxi fare. One tip: do check out and book the day trip to Mt Kinabalu and Poring Hot Springs online. It's a good deal for a small group tour.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank RTWtraveler213
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Though the condition of hotel facilities especially air-conditioners are not as good as the first few times when I stayed, still I preferred it due to its reasonable charges and conveniences for food and shopping. As for transportation, taxi is available. if you know where you want to go and like the cheapest mean, then you just walk across the road to catch mini buses plying along the way for just RM1.00 and you can get connected to places that you like to go.

I think I shall still choose Tune Hotel at 1Borneo if I can book hotel room at a very low fare when there is a promotion.

Room Tip: Rooms at mid floor are cooler as first floor may be a bit nosier.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
DeSilvaTunehotels, Manager at Tune Hotel - 1Borneo, Kota Kinabalu, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thanks for the review and we hope you will try out our other hotels for another pleasant experience.

See you soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

It's not recommend if you plan to stay here for more than 3 nights. My experience was, 4D3N, first two nights was good, third night I feel bored. No window, ventilation very bad. Location wise is good, locate nearby 1Borneo shopping mall. Won't get hunger for food.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends