“Middle of nowhere”
Review of The Klagan Regency

The Klagan Regency
Ranked #70 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 30 September 2013

First thing to know is that this is not in Kota Kinabalu but at the One Borneo shopping centre waaaaay out of town. It takes about 30 minutes in a taxi if there's no traffic and quite a bit longer if there is. It is next to a very dull mall and a highway and nothing else. The hotel itself looks modern but is badly maintained. The air-con didn't work well in my room.There was a constant dripping noise and a bad smell. The staff were friendly enough but nothing can detract from the fact that this is in a hopeless location and isn't a very good hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan E

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Earlier this month, had the fortunate opportunity to stay for a few nights at yet another Accor hotel since my last stay in Mercure Windsor Castle last month. This time it was Notovel 1Borneo in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. My happy feelings were quickly replaced with displeasure. First day, I witnessed small brown cockroaches (native to that region) crawling on the serving counter of the premier lounge.

Also, the towels in the room left me covered from head to toe in lint! It was such a hilarious sight and I had to use the bath robe to wipe myself dry for the night.

Next morning, I saw more cockroaches at breakfast! They were crawling around the bowls on the fruit counter. And one or two flies were seen flying here and there in the level 5 restaurant. Have you no proper pest-control in place? Who knows what else crawls in the kitchens!

After returning from a long warm morning at the beach, I found the cleaning cart outside my room after 2pm - I thought room cleaning should be done in the morning? Oh well, I figured I'll skip the shower and just use the bathroom to wash my face while leaving her to her tasks. Guess what I saw when I entered my room? The cleaning staff was on the phone giggling. Not sure who she was talking to, I approached her and told her I wanted lint-free towels; this woman just held the phone away from her ear, turned her head and proceeded to talk to me. When she confirmed that my towels will be delivered shortly, she returned to her call! The only thing I caught at the end of the conversation was that she informed the other person on the phone to get the correct towels ready - I suppose she was talking/giggling with someone in Housekeeping? I've a pic to prove this too.

The reception staff were warm and friendly, however, kitchen, housekeeping, and probably maintenance would really need training.

Also, we had to ask for forks at breakfast as they laid the table with spoons and knives. And please stop serving coffee that tastes like tar at breakfast. Or the staff need training at brewing pots of coffee too?

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Xine139
Reviewed 21 September 2013

In summary:

Pros:
-spacious room & quite clean
-nice lobby and staff in general were nice
-huge shopping mall right next door
-good breakfast

Cons:
-wifi only available in the lobby
-relatively far location from the pier & night market
-air-con stopped working....in the middle of the night
-room service responds to requests sometimes, sometimes not lol (might take another call)

location was really a let-down, a good 15 min drive into the city centre! was lucky enough to have a local friend to drive me around during my stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2013

The rooms were big but seems like they have not been maintained in awhile the light fixture next to the bed keeps falling off. They did not provide wifi in the rooms and also no free parking. During check in I was told that they have changed the check out time to 10am WORLDWIDE!! Hmm... wondered if that was true or not. When i went back home checked online on novotels website to find out the check out time was still at 12pm. Room service was bad too had to request for the menu to be sent to the room. My hot drink came in a teapot and they gave me just the cup without any saucer. Was this standard for an international hotel?

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Shadow37
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Called room service for 4 times to get extra toiletries, towel, and extra blanket for extra bed ( given bed sheet as blanket), not sent up till an hour later. Very bad experience . Room service staff came up room with towel, water and toiletries but not blanket...

Dissapointed with service. Not recommended

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank LkSiow
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

I checked in late at 8pm on 01 Sep 2013 and I had to wait for 20 mins to check in after making immediate payment at the front office.
Then when I went up to my room- no drinking water , bath towel only one pc in bathroom, no toilet paper. I tried to request for one additional pillow but nothing was followed up despite a few requests.
This is not acceptable from a four star hotel! I have been to other 3 star hotels in malaysia and i did not encounter such worst experience like this hotel.
On raining days , I could not watch Cinemax cable channel while I could watch the rest of the
channels. The reason - because it is raining and the reception is bad. I feedbacked to the front office staff and the technician returned call saying he will try to rectify the tv reception but to no avail.
I also noticed the poor quality of the TV sound reception during my 6 nights stay there.
On my last day before checking out, i was informed that I had to check out at 10am.

I will not return to this hotel anymore in future when I am revisiting KK.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Kyphang
Reviewed 12 September 2013

dirty bed clothes , food print on the bed , cleanliness absolut need to be improved, location is ok, in a huge shopping mall, shuttle bus provied to the city center , swimming ok, we haven't tried , the price was ok because i booked the special offers, so far i was satisfied with the whole stay, and the Business center was good, 2 brand new apple computer........

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank kifaul