“DONT EXPECT TOO MUCH”
Review of The Klagan Regency

The Klagan Regency
Ranked #61 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 25 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the hotel for 4 night.

Location: a bit far away from downtown and ~30min ride by a cab (30 MYR) is expected. Shuttle bus services available but it is always full so be prepared to take a cab. Connected to the 1 borneo hypermall which is large with large varieties of food choices and shops.

Services: just so-so. Staff are not pro-active.

Room: spacious room and comfortable bed though in room facilities are a bit wear out. Generally clean. Room are serviced daily but may be in a rush as towels are not refilled one time. In room wifi is not available but free LAN connection so a small travel routet will solve the problem, or else you have to go to hotel lobby with free wifi available.

Breakfast: average breakfast choice but nothing special. I suggest those without breakfast in their room package to have breakfast elsewhere.

Swimming pool: pool is large but dirty with turbid water.

Conclusion: average service and room for a short stay

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jack K
Communication D, Manager at The Klagan Regency, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Dear hkdrjack,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review.

I personally do take your comments in regards to service and swimming pool and will take action in regards to our customer attention, I sincerely apologise on behalf of the team. The quality you experienced does in no way reflected our usual high level of service.

Again thank you for your patronage and do let us know should you require any assistance.

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I didn't expected much as it was the National Holiday in Malaysia and it's not easy to find a room. It's right next to the largest mall in Borneo, so I guess it's a great location for them but it's not the best for other travelers who want to explore the tourist KK. The reception was very slow. I was there earlier, at 1100, the check in time was 1400. So I agreed to just return at 1400. However, when I returned at 1400, the reception told me that there was no room and asked me to return 2 hours later. I refused as I saw another couples refused to go (for the same reason and they got the room shortly after). The room was just ok but I expect cleaner room (it seemed that the hotel was very busy and they cleaned the room in a rush). The breakfast was a joke. Go there only if it's included in your room price. The morning before I checked out, I asked the receptionist to please pre-book a taxi for me and she replied that I could just got one outside. I asked her because I saw a long queue outside and I was not quite sure about the taxi / taxi driver situation as I was new to the place, so I wanted to entrust the hotel to do so. I ended up waiting for 15 minutes outside the hotel. ok hotel with disappointing services (both the reception and the restaurant).

Room Tip: Don't pay for breakfast unless it's included in the room price.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear T L,

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your review.

We sincerely apologised for the unpleasant experience. I have briefed the relevant departments to take action to improve and ensure that such incident does not repeat itself in the future. I share your frustation in regards to our customer attention and details.The quality you experiences does not reflect the usual high level of standards of Novotel.

We thank you for your patronage and should your require any assistance, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Reviewed 24 December 2013

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

I've stayed in a number of chain hotels like the Holiday Inn, Sheraton etc, as far as the USA, UK, Kuala Lumpur etc. So I was benchmarking this hotel chain with established hotel chains that I am familiar with.

For a young family including a 10 month toddler, Novotel seemed to offer the ideal location, as we basically wanted to do some shopping, taste the local cuisine and have quick and easy access to our hotel room. I did have a choice of 2 to 3 other hotels, but Novotel just stood out to me.

The issues began with the booking. I initially called only to be informed that the rooms were fully booked, but wasn't completely convinced. So I attempted an online booking via the Novotel website. I was successful! It seemed strange that calling in was a let down.

Anyhow, I got an email confirmation dated 23rd November, complete with reservation number. My booking was for December 12th for 3 nights, via the ACCOR HOTELS RESERVATION.

Seeing as how I was travelling with kids, I wanted reassurance, so I called the reservations office, immediately after the 23rd Nov., requesting someone from the hotel confirm my reservation and the room details. This is where I got truly dissappointed. I called up to 3 times, leading up to the date of my departure, but no one from the Reservations Department could reconfirm via email the details of the room I had paid for.

I needed reconfirmation to clear out details of the room. The room that was confirmed for me was stipulated as 'Premier Executive Floor Suite 1 King Bed'. Checking with their website, it wasn't clear to me what the 'Premier Executive Floor Suite' included. Prior to departure, checking their website, they had the following categories of rooms:

1. Standard rooms
2. Superior rooms
3. Premier rooms
4. Suite rooms
5. Executive rooms

I sceen shot the details of the 'Executive room' as per their website prior to departure, but interestingly as I am writing this review, double checking their Novotel 1Borneo website, the same categories of rooms has drastically changed! As of today, 19th Dec, the room categories only capture:

1. Standard Room
2. Superior Room
3. Suite

My guess of the discrepency noted above, is there was probably a mistake in what was shown on their website and what they could truly offer.

So you can imagine, when my family and I got to our room, I initially wanted to change, as what was advertised did not appear to be what I had booked for. But, when we got to our room, calling the reception was futile as it was engaged (I tried calling 3 times to no avail). By which time, my 10 month old son, was due for his meal, so we settled for the room we were given.

So the hotel looses one star for the discrepency in what was advertised prior to my departure (and I have the screen shot to prove it) and what is advertised upon coming back from my holiday.

Secondly, I brought with me my Galaxy Note, at the reception, when I checked in. I provided my reservation number verbally reading it out from my Note. I was surprised, when the receptionist, requested me to forward to their email address the details of my reservation them, their email address was ( H6476.FOS@novotel1borneo.com). This was a bit of an alarm bell for me, did they not have the details of my reservation. Each of the 3 times I called the Reservation Department, they verbally confirmed my booking was received, although I requested an email reconfirmation each time I called, which they failed each time to reconfirm. I even double checked if they had my email correctly and each time they were able to verbally confirm my email.

So I was somewhat disappointed when at check in, the receptionist (a male receptionist at the time), requested me to forward the details of my booking to their email. In all my years of travelling, which includes, regionally Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Thailand, internationally, USA, UK, France, India, Japan, this is the very first time that I had to email ONCE more details of my confirmed booking (checked 3 times in advance) at check in. At the back of my mind, I was wondering what else could be amiss. So for this, Novotel loose another star rating from me.

Finally, as mentioned earlier, I had booked the confirmed room online and requested for a baby cot. Each of the 3 times I called, the Reservation Department confirmed they had received my request. I kind of expected that they would have missed out on the baby cot request, so I was less shocked. But since this was a request made since 23rd of November, with 3 calls to Reservation Department requesting an email reconfirmation (which NEVER materialized); so Novotel miss out on a 3rd star rating from me.

However all being said, I must commend them on their relatively quick check-in, the freebies for the children, the overall smiles and friendly staff, the clean toilets, towels and rooms. Except for the carpets, which were somewhat dusty for my liking, but that is a personal preference. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with plenty of choice, extremely palatable, wide choice for kids and adults alike. The swimming pool was good and clean, although the public toilets next to the swimming pool should be better, compared to the public toilets at the lobby.

I like to believe I am a fair person, I did my very best calling in, making sure that what I requested and what I booked is available at the agreed price. Novotel Hotel at 1Borneo, for a business trip or couples might be acceptable, but for a family man, who likes to plan in advance, I was disappointed with the Reservation Department. At the hotel itself, you can see the staff do their best to deliver (we also tried their room service), but from 23rd of November to 12th Dec, i.e. a total of 18 calender days (not including date of confirmation and arrival date), I would not say I am a completely satisfied patron.

For my next family trips to Kk, (my family and I enjoyed the ambience, food, welcoming nature of the people etc.), we will try out the other hotels. Key message for management at Novotel 1Borneo:

1. Improve management at Reservations Department
2. Enhance communication between Reservations and Check-In
3. Ensure website is correct with details of rooms offered.

Hopefully the above comments will help to improve your services.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family