“Think twice, not bad but there are alternatives”
Review of The Klagan Regency

The Klagan Regency
Ranked #68 of 91 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

Please note that this hotel is situated outside Kota Kinabalu!
The main action and touristic atmosphere is NOT near this hotel. You either need to take a taxi or the shuttle from the shopping mall to get to the city center! The drive takes 15 minutes.
The lobby is great with fast check in and out. Our non smoking room smelled as if people smoked. We asked for another room but same problem. We saw 3 in total and choose the one with the least smell.

Room was spacious, quite clean but it is part of Accor Group . . . So expect not too much. But than again we had a very good rate via Agoda (less than 70 euro's).
Breakfast at the top floor was great, also good food and very friendly staff.
The ground floor gives access to the mall which is big and worth a visit. A tourist tour operator is located near the hotel/mall connection.
Looking for an alternative? Go for the waterfront at the city center. Really it is worth it, if you have double the money to spend.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Communication D, Manager at The Klagan Regency, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2014

Dear Basawake,
Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us. Yes, our hotel is not in the main city, rather just 10 km in the outskirts of the city. Some people prefer the isolation though there is a Hypermall just next door, while some rather be in the bustling city. We're glad you enjoyed the food and the service that our staff provided. We do hope that you would consider staying with us again if given the chance. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I wasted enough of my life in this terrible hotel to spend too long reviewing it so in short: don't stay here.

Main problems:
- check in slow & confused
- location poor
- on each day of our four day stay the cleaners removed the towels but failed to replace
- broken lights in bedroom
- ridiculously bright flashing wifi router
- room smelt old and musty
- staff in restaurant incompetent and lazy
- pool dirty and depressing.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Law B

Dear Law B,
We apologise for your dissatisfaction with the hotel and hope you would be able to provide us with more information like which room you were staying in so we can rectify these problems in the room for the comfort of all guests. If you would like to give us more details, please feel free to email us at h6476.info@novotel1borneo.com. We really do hope you could drop us a line so we can investigate these issues thoroughly. Thank you for your patience.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Having been to One Borneo for so many times that I have indeed lost count and spending most of the times ensconced in my room in Tune Hotel each time I visited Kota Kinabalu, I have yet to try out more expensive hotels to say the least. And when the opportunity arise, I quickly turn myself delightfully to the invitation.

I stayed in the Novotel just recently for two days and two nights for a course and I was taken away by the pleasant lobby alongside the room. The reception and checking in was brief and quick, partially due to the fact that the organisers of the seminar might have gotten everything in check before they dish out the cards. I couldn't much verify with the other comments left here for the hotel which didn't augur very well for their reception service.

I had the chance of staying on the 17th floor, apparently one of their premier lounge floors and the room was spaciously pleasing to the eye. Though it isn't what one would describe state-of-the-art, it is definitely the better hotels that I've put up with in Sabah by and large. My room looks out towards housing areas and some of the major roads but since the room was sound-proofed adequately, I could only admire the pleasant view from atop. The bed was comfortable and inviting as I experience no difficulty falling asleep and that would be the main apogee of all of my hotel's stay. The showers were fine and the toilet was nothing fancy. One couldn't have expected anything more for a short stay. TV remote's a bit of a bummer, but since I wasn't much into watching the idiot box, I had a great time indulging myself in several novels through the proper lightings by the bed.

Buffet breakfast was a quick affair though I'm not much of an eater. But at a glance, the variety isn't much with a section dedicated to the local cuisine (Nasi Lemak for two days) and the other section dedicated to a more Westernised breakfast - your typical sausage, eggs and baked beans. In the middle of the restaurant (aptly named the Square) are three separate areas serving salad dressings with cereals, a bread section and one the other one that serves drinks, fruits and cheese.

Food connoisseur won't find that a delight, but my stay was without fault and I would recommend one to put up in this hotel if you don't mind the distance to town. To make up for it, the hotel is connected to the One Borneo Hypermall through a short walk off the lobby and you could literally shop and dine there for as much as you want. A cinema is on the third floor of the hypermall.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Syme0n,
Thank you for the nice comments you made on our hotel. We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again really soon!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

The room is big but without sofa and coffee table so that the room is so empty. The bed is comfortable but pillow too soft. Requested for a smoking room but gave us a non-smoking room.
The safety box not function well, it took an hour+ for the staff came to the room to checked and realised the battery is low which took less than a min. It took another half an hour+ for them came and change the battery. Requested for in room slipper which did not supplied as the floor was dirty which might not mop for long time, our soles of the feet became black, requested 2 times & it took long time for them to sent too.
Requested for late check out and they extend our check out time to 1pm which normal check out time is 12pm. Someone called at 11+ to informed that the check out time is 12pm, we informed the lady who called that the counter staff had extend our check out time to 1pm then she transfer the called to somewhere while I don't understand what's going on without explanation.
Somehow the staffs are friendly and helpful but they should understand that communication & efficiency is important.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ATTLWSE

Dear ATTLWSE,
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Novotel KK. We would like to apologise for the inefficiency of the staff in attending to your safety box matters. We have noted on this and have also spoken to the staff concerned about it. Overall we've brought up these matters to the housekeeping department to come up with a more efficient method of operations as we do not want this problems to occur again. We have also been conducting English classes for our staff, especially the Front office staff as we are aware that communication is key, when it comes to handling the front desk. We do hope that your recent experience with us has not deterred you from staying with us again.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

其實我第一次去沙巴係住 RasaRia,服務質素梗係好到無得頂!今次想玩得同食得盡啲,就梗係要住得平啲啦~
我見到咁平,都無諗住好好service或者設施好完善,但系佢系基本都做唔到。:(
我同3個女友人同行,搭的士由機場到酒店大概二十五分鐘倒,唔算太耐。去到酒店門口,竟然系個的士司機幫我地攞行李落車,一個 bell boy 都無。但系我地的行李唔算重,所以無所謂。 個 lobby 好靚,好modern,仲播歐美流行曲,第一印象其實不錯。可能我地去到酒店九點半夜晚已經好晏,所以淨系得一個人當值幫我哋 check in。
我地兩個兩個住兩間 connecting room,好方便。一入去,就覺得間房超大,仲要系木地板,唔系地氈,感覺好似好乾淨。點知一睇張床,就見到床單上有兩噠污漕嘢,我同啲 friend 睇覺得似洗唔甩嘅 marker 跡,但系都 call 左 house keeping。 我諗可能系入夜嘅原因,house keeping 已經收左工,佢搵左兩個職員來換床單,但系佢地唔熟手,搞左好耐,睇上去都唔整齊,但我哋想執下嘢,就同佢哋講話OK。
廁所設備尚算可以,但佢系浴缸上加花灑仲有 rain shower,用兩個水龍頭控制,好難系3个水源到switch 來 switch 去。最大嘅問題系佢個浴缸側不設浴簾,玻璃幕不是可開關幕門,只覆蓋浴缸長度一半。如果浸浴無問題,但係用花灑或者 rain shower 就會飛晒出來,搞到廁所地下濕晒。
沖完涼好慣性就攞掛系到嘅毛巾抹身,一抹落塊面到,就聞到條毛巾有啲 up 味,好似洗完曬吾乾咁。搞到我同個 friend 要用自家洗面巾抹身。 ==""
張床好訓,又大。可惜電視頻道唔多,臨訓無嘢做只能靠上網消遣…每間房都有入 wifi 嘅 username 同 password,速度同穩定性都麻麻地,最唔好係一 account 同時只可最多3個裝置登入。我和友人都帶了 iPad ,計埋電話,4個位先夠。 -3-
早餐選擇多,但質素麻麻。房間的設備唔齊全,我間房一開始又無風筒,個煲水器又壞壞地,呢的都可以叫佢換或者俾,但系房間嘅 house keeping 同埋衛生完全唔ok! >^<
我頭個幾日偶爾都會系的臺面見到一兩隻好細隻嘅螞蟻,但系我懷疑因為 house keeping 無洗我地用完嘅杯,就咁擺返原位,有一晚我哋返都去,成隻杯上面都系蟻!@@" 真系好噁心。 而且應該都無吸塵,我地吹頭甩啲頭髮由第一日積到第三日,我地自己睇唔過眼執左⋯
有蟻都系有原因嘅,唔系衛生吾得,間房質素一啲都唔低。
員工服務態度大多數良好,只一次系大堂想借電話打俾 book 左架車嘅司機(local 電話),因為佢遲到, 個 staff 淨係應咗我一句 , "you have to call from your room" . 結果我地真系要系 lobby 上反房打。 ( ̄▽ ̄)
總之,失望啦! 唔會再住呢到。 凸^-^凸

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank MalaysiaFan0826
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed for three nights in August. Check in was slow as there is only one service counter available. I was told that as others has went for their buka puasa (breaking fast), so the delayed. The hotel should have assign more non-muslim staff at the check in counter.

I repeated my request of a non-connecting room, twin bed and not facing the road as i was noise sensitive. Yet they gave me a king size bed and facing the main road. Immediately ask them to re-assign a new room to me, they gave me another room but again they gave me a connecting room. This time I was furious and ask them to check my personal preference during booking and the personal preference in my Accor account. As an Accor member i was disappointed with such a service.

They upgraded the room to the premier floor and sent some fruit to us after I said I am going to complain to Accor. The hotel do not do frequent mainenance as everything is run down.

Breakfast is ok with Mix Malaysia American.

Pool is nice.

Location is convenient to 1Borneo Shoping Mall but far away from city (RM30 to get to city)

I Like the loction though as it is far away from the city.

I have stayed in Novotel Gangnam Korea, Novotel Ploenchit Bangkok and Novotel Kuala Lumpur, I just have to say Novotel One Borneo is not up to standard.

Kindly improve your service and your run down room.

Will I stay there again? I guess not.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank BrandonHo

Dear BrandonHo,

First and foremost we would like to apologise for the condition of our rooms as we are aware that some of the rooms are a little run down due to wear and tear. we are in the midst of fixing up the bits and pieces to freshen up the hotel again. We've also brought up this issue to the attention of the reservations team to be more attentive of guest request, especially an Accor member like you, as this is really not acceptable. I do hope that you might consider staying with us again, especially because you like the location. We can definitely improve with feedback from guests like you.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com