“Amazing Experience”

Mountain Torq
Ranked #19 of 86 Tours in Kota Kinabalu
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Mountain Torq is the world's highest and Asia's first via ferrata located on Mt Kinabalu. We are the one and only operator of the via ferrata in Mt Kinabalu National Park. If you are an adrenaline junkie and want a lofty adventure that have you hanging around on a wire, this is should be on your to do list!
Reviewed 10 August 2014

When we booked our mountain climb up Kinabalu the only availability as to do it was with the basic via Ferrata and stay at the pendant hut, so it was more by accident that we ended up descending the mountain in this way rather than something we had always wanted to do. The safety demonstration was very thorough during which they explained there were actually two options for the VF the basic or the worlds highest as recognised by the Guinness Book of Records. This proved a challenge that my husband didn't want to resist and reluctantly I agreed that we upgrade.

Overnight accommodation at the Pendant hut is in dormitories and pretty basic, you go down to another hut for dinner which is plentiful and really good (although I wouldn't recommend drinking beer which was c£10 a can!). You have a basic breakfast at the hut before leaving with your guide early morning (3am for us). Once we had reached the summit we walked back down for about 30 minutes before we met our guide Jon, having not been overly keen to do the VF originally staring over the edge of the mountain was quite frightening! We were lucky that there was just myself and my husband with our guide Jon who I have to say was utterly amazing, he talked to me constantly to distract me and calm me down and eventually I started to feel more confident, he also took a staggering 160 pictures for us some of which are just amazing - thanks you Jon you made the experience for us.

Be aware that the full VF takes between 4-6 hours ( it took us 4.5) and you then have to descend 6km down the mountain (which is pretty much all steps so a lot harder than it sounds) so you need to be pretty fit - both myself and my husband have run several marathons but were still exhausted (but elated) by the time we reached the bottom.

1  Thank dentonsdestinations
"step by step"
"low peak"
"professional outfit"

Reviewed 22 July 2014

My daugther and I went with Amazing Borneo for this adventure and it was worth every penny we spend. Amazing Borneo was what's its name implied...Amazing! from the day we were picked up from our hotel and the day we finished our climbed to Mt Kinabalu and via ferrata, was liked a clockwork, everything went so smoothly. Even, the heavy downpoured on our way back from Mt Kinabalu did not hampered our spirit..it was quite an adventure.
The walk the torg via ferrata was a bit scary at first but then we have a wonderful trainer and guide that after a while it become natural. I will recommend to anyone who want to do this adventure.

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Went with one of my colleague to climb Mount Kinabalu and we also sign up for the Via Ferrata. We were lucky because the weather was absolutely perfect when we reached the summit and also during our Via Ferrata activity. What I did do beforehand was to check the weather forecast in advance and calling Mountain Torq directly asking for their advice on the weather before signing up for this activity as I've heard that there will be no refunds if it rains. But it also depends on mother nature so just be mentally prepared that anything could happen.
The staffs at Mountain Torq did reiterate(through email & during the briefing) that there would not be any refunds if the weather is not suitable for the activity. So I feel that its your own responsibility first to read the terms and conditions before signing up.
I was very pleased when I stayed at Pendant Hut. I wasnt expecting much as I've only experienced sleeping in tents and doing business out in the open for my other hiking trips. So to stay in a hut with decent bunk beds and toilets was more than what I had expected. The breakfast was also simple but make sure to bring some energy chews or light snacks cause you will get hungry. The VF briefing was simple to understand and the trainers were very friendly and professional. Our trainer(Jon) was a very friendly guy who made our VF experience so much better. He even took the effort to take really scenic pictures of us whilst we were doing the activity(we decided to tip him for his hard work). Once done with the activity, we had the option of getting our certificates to indicate that we've completed the VF but we can only collect it once we reach the place where we registered before our hike.
The only regret was that I didnt get to buy the MT dri-fit tshirts.
Overall it was a good experience and I would recommend people who are planning to hike Mount Kinabalu to sign up for the Via Ferrata as well.

1  Thank aqilah y
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I went on a Mount Kinabalu climbing package through Amazing Borneo, that included the via ferrata option last February. The via ferrata was an expensive option but I felt that it was worth the investment. Everyone with the via ferrata option stays at the Pendant Hut, which is about 100m further up from Laban Rata.

The Pendant Hut is comfortable and well equiped as mountain huts go. The view which stretches all the way to the South China Sea is amazing and the view of the night sky is priceless. The bunks are packed in tightly but there are toilets, shower, drinking water and electricity, as well an endless supply of hot tea. The rooms are not heated but sleeping bags are provided and if you have packed layered clothing, the cold should not be a problem.

I thought the mandatory training session before dinner was a little simple but the guides were highly professional and went out of their way to make the experience memorable. The all the necessary gear was provided and they were in good shape and from reliable manufacturers such as Mammut and Petzl. The only thing you might need to bring would be a pair of belay gloves. I had some half rope and prussiks but I was being a bit paranoid as usual.

The via ferrata route is well thought out and quite challenging. There were several wire bridges and wooden walkways to spice up the route. It should be emphasized that you are doing this at altitude, after a 24 period of climbing, with another 4-6 hours of descent afterwards. You must conserve your strength. Also there is a big difference in temperature between dawn (when you start) and mid-morning (when you finish) so layered clothing is essential as well plentiful supply of water (dehydration is a problem at altitude) and some snacks.

This is a technical comment but on Mount Kinabalu, an additional safety rope is used (double figure of eight) between the climbers, in addition to the via ferrata set. This not often seen in Europe and some may find it a bit awkward but safety first I suppose.

On the subject of safety, there was one wooden walkway, which I though it was a bit dangerous. It crossed a cravass about 2m deep but the thing is that if someone fell, it would have been too shallow for the safety gear to come into effect but deep enough to cause injury.

One minor issue was that you had to pack your own lunch for the way down and the only thing available was bread and jam. This is enough but I expected a bit more, given the relative feasts that I had on the previous day.

I learned from the guides that they are creating a new mountaineering program and I would be most interested in returning as soon as it is launched.

3  Thank E150A