Akinabalu Youth Hostel
Horizon Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$95
US$82
Trip.com
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$103
Hotels.com
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$53
US$46
Priceline
Hotel Sixty3(Kota Kinabalu)
US$64
US$60
Agoda.com
Hotel Shangri-La Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$52
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
US$344
US$303
All reviewsprivate roomsocial areagaya streetgreat common areatoast jamfree tea and coffee all dayboiled eggsfan roomhot waterliving areasunday marketwi fiwould stay here againclean roomsother guestsgreat place to staylocation is great
Reviewed 28 February 2011

We stayed at Akinabalu after trawling around all the backpackers in KK and were grateful when we finally stumbled upon it. We instantly liked the feel of the place and it was a reasonable price in comparison to other backpackers. The rooms are spacious and come in doubles, triples or dorms. We stayed in a double room with a fan which was perfectly adequate so we had no need for AC. The shared bathrooms were good and very cleaned, in fact they were cleaned all day long which was pretty reassuring! The showers were a little weak but had hot water most of the time.

There is a free breakfast every morning in the main social area, which was a large space with numerous sofas, a dining table and a little zen garden area. You can watch any of the free dvds whenever you want too. Wifi connection is good and there are also 2 computers for free use for guests.

Overall our experience was very good and the location perfect for sightseeing and onward travel.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tollytravels
Reviewed 4 February 2011

Very helpful staff, reasonable cost (for KK) and pleasant rooms.

Go ahead, book it. You could do a lot worse.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 6 December 2010

Recently stayed just for 1 night at Akinabalu Youth hostel. During my arrival greeted with friendly lady at the counter at 7.30pm, she assist me from the counter till to the front door of dorm room. This were my first time staying and sharing in a dorm room, I was informed that I will staying with other friendly travelers and I'm the only lady, how ever all explanation from friendly lady convince me about safety in the room.

The dorm,bathroom and communal area were clean, except the noise of cars nearby building, squeaking bed and unfriendly young lady during my check-out early morning.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This is a hostel, which works like a "machine". It is very well organised, very clean. Staff is friendly and helpful.
Breakfast is included (and ok), but do not expect spectacular: toast with greasy butter and jam.
I would certainly go there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2010

Thank goodness I found this place! Every hostel I looked at in KK was rundown, dreary and overpriced. Akinabalu Youth Hostel is like a breath of fresh air! The common room is beautifully decorated, airy, and clean clean clean! The internet is free, the TV/DVD combo works great, and I met a lot of fun people here. The showers are cleaned several times a day. For the price, this was total luxury. And don't be turned away by the "youth" tag in the hostel's name, there were plenty of people in their 30's staying here (and sometimes older).

The common room fridge is stocked with cheap soda, beer and snacks--I visited them frequently! They have a bunch of movies to watch and books to read. Breakfast is free.

My only complaint is that the bunk beds have metal frames which tend to squeak quite a bit when people shift during their sleep. I travel with earplugs so it wasn't a huge problem.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo