“Alright”

Akinabalu Youth Hostel
Reviewed 20 April 2013

I stayed in a 5-bed fan dorm for two nights. It was fine - not the cleanest, certainly not compared to Masada - but it has a better location, being on Gaya Street. Perfect for the Sunday market, and for bars. The showers are big. The toilets stink a little, but I think that's just generally the building's drains, as it is an old building for Sabah. The breakfast is pretty bleak - white cardboard bread with sugary jams. Luckily there's local coffee to keep it from being a total catastrophe. WIFI was fine, and there was a working computer as well, if you don't have your laptop. Nice communal area overlooking Gaya Street.

Room Tip: Ask to see the dorms before choosing. Some dorms have a bed by a window, which faces into the corrid...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 1 March 2013

As usual, I found this hostel's info from Lonely Planet and booked the rooms online with my credit card information.

Let me share with you a few facts--
1, it has free wi-fi, however during our 3 days stay, it's always difficult to get connected to wi-fi; only once, when the wi-fi server was restarted, I successfully logged on my email. I quickly wrote an email but couldn't send it. It says CONNECTING for minutes and eventually failed. Not only email, if you try to browse some other website, it's generally very slow.

2, the private rooms are very disappointing, the sheets and the blankets are smelly and almost worn out.

3, The mattess is very soft, if you like soft mattess, good.

4, 70 RM per room per night, for 2 persons, shared bathroom. Nearby there are other economy hotel providing standard room for 75-80 RM, with aircon and private bathroom.

Room Tip: All the rooms have windows facing the corridor. My point is the private rooms suck while dorms may b...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

Before I Stayed here I looked at a couple of nearby Guesthouses and AYH seemed the better. Well I was not wrong. Sarina who checked me in was friendly and smiley and sold me the Climb packed for Mt Kinabalu. I had no intention of doing this and there was no pressure on her side but as I had no mountain gear what-so-ever she lent me a coat, hat and gloves and I borrowed shoes from the GH. The hostel is very very clean and most comfortable. Beds were a bit squeeky but the lady and her WD40 soon sorted that out! Sheets all clean and beds most comfortable. Free breakast is toast and noodles with free tea/coffee all day. It's got a TV, reading area and smoking area and also two computers hooked up to the Internet and free wifi for everyone else. Snacks and drinks are reasonably priced and best of all is the location!!! Other guests are friendly and you will make friends if you are open to that. Loved it!!!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Everyone is so friendly in this hostel, the service counter, the other roommates, giving impression of a family. The lobby is well decorated where you can comfortably read your books, watch the tv, play card games with your friends and a lot more and 2 Pc provided, with internet connection.
Worth the money.
The bed are noisy, but It didn't really bothers us as we planned to enjoy the nature and beaches in Kota Kinabalu, not the mattress problem.

Room Tip: rooms at the far end of the hallway have windows facing the street, which is considerably better com...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 January 2013

have been to some youth hostel, so we know what to expect. Everything looks good to me especially nice decorated public area for you to chill out reading a book, very nice atmosphere. The only thing I wouldn't accept is the cover for the bed, it is a so worn out blanket with almost black color, their sheet and pillow both has nice and white color cloth. So in the end I insist to get one more bed sheet as my cover to use under the blanket, I just couldn't imagine my skin to be directly under this looks dirty blanket. The mattress is so soft and comfortable, that is a bless.

Recommendation:
1, white and clean cover
2, nice curtain would make rooms looks better

Pros:
1, Very good public area, comfy and quiet
2, Very soft mattress
3, clean
4, Good and convienient location right on Gaya street

Cons:
1, Very dirty and worn out cover, can't sleep with it
2, noisy outside environment.

Honestly speaking, to change a white and new bed cover would welcome more guests and not spending lots of money, I would really suggest to do it.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2012 via mobile

To start a pretty common backpacker standard hostel. Meaning almost clean, boring room with to few toilets thinking of the amount of guests. But thats not all, we woke up with bites on our bodies! Would not recommend this hostel, we changed the first thing in the morning. The good thing though was that we got a refund of the other days we were supposed to stay.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank yasminarafat
Reviewed 19 October 2012

WORST hostel I've ever stayed in!!! Rooms are tiny, 5 people to a dorm is an absolute joke!! The beds are so noisy and any small movement is felt and heard!! Also bed bugs galore, disgusting!!! Staff were very unhelpful when we complained about our door not closing properly, door wasn't fixed and left open all day/night!! Don't stay here!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012