Akinabalu Youth Hostel
Hyatt Regency Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$103
Le Meridien Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$136
Trip.com
US$381
US$130
Agoda.com
The Klagan Hotel(Kota Kinabalu)
US$53
US$45
Agoda.com
Hotel Shangri-La Kota Kinabalu(Kota Kinabalu)
US$50
US$97
  • Breakfast included
US$349
US$304
All reviewsprivate roomsocial areagaya streetgreat common areatoast jamfree tea and coffee all dayboiled eggsfan roomhot waterliving areasunday marketwi fiwould stay here againclean roomsother guestsgreat place to staylocation is great
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights.
Two of the people we were with fell I'll during our time in Kota Kinabalu and the staff were very sympathetic moving us to a larger room with better ventilation. However there was some confusion over our last night as we asked to extend our stay and they didn't take note. In the end we were forced to move into two dorms which wasn't ideal. The staff were friendly enough but it was frustrating. Breakfast was nice and chill out area was great.
Location in the town was brilliant. Close to everything you need.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank selina T
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The rooms are basic hostel rooms, maybe a bit smaller than usual but a relatively comfy bed with bedding. And they are very clean, as is the rest of the hostel. The showers get a bit wet/clogged up during the day but someone cleans them every day and they are nice and big with hot water and good pressure! The staff are friendly and laid back and the common room is lovely. If you've only stayed in European hostels before, this is a bit different. The walls are open onto the street for ventilation and the rooms may appear a bit rough around the edges (some peeling paint etc) but the main thing is that it's clean, central and good value for money. As a solo female traveller, I was hoping to meet more people but I think I came a a quieter period. A lot of people just stayed on their laptops and phones in the common room which was sad but a few friendly (also lone) travellers too!

Room Tip: Even though you have to pay for 2 people, if you're travelling alone and want a room to yourself the double room is nice and works out at about £14 a night which is cheaper than a hotel!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Excellent value hostel - for 25 ringgit/ a fiver a night you cannot complain. Small dorm rooms but fine for good nights sleep. Best thing is the communal living area which had big TV, sofas, free internet, free tea and coffee, you even get breakfast - just toast and noodles but for the low price to stay here it is added extra. Perfect location, great, helpful staff, easy to plan trips and meet other travelers. I traveled through Sabah alone and would heartily recommend this place to any one looking for low budget accommodation! Oh and really decent, clean bathrooms with hot shower...perfect for after you have spent time sleeping in the rainforest!

Room Tip: Take a top bunk if possible so closer to the fan as room can be a little warm during the night!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank amydevo
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stayed in a double room that was of a good size. Location is good but it came at the compromise of heavy street noise during the night which was irritating. The showers are ok but sometimes a bit grim from other travellers. A good lounge to meet other backpackers.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank TerranceTower
Reviewed 25 July 2013

Hi, I´m not sure if I already wrote about this nice place, it´s a long time since I had WIFI the last time, come back from the jungel... In case I haven´t wirtten anything:

Though the comments on tripadvisor were irritating I decided to stay at Akinabalu and were very lucky. I never experienced people smoking nor was I bothered by smoke at night and it was not noisy. The ladies at the desk are very friendly and really helpful in organising trips. They always have a smile for you. The place is very clean, toilets and shower for share, clean, always toilet paper. I stayed in a dorm. The beds are basic but absolutly ok. It´s very clean. You decide between fan and air con. There is a lovley big chill out room with open windowfront on both sides. Breakfast is included: toast and instant noodle soup. However there´s a great local market not far away to get fresh fruits and delicious lunch and dinner. Hot and cold water are available the entire day to refill the bottle. It´s just 5 min. to the jetty. I did my scuba diving classes there. It´s a really nice place and located perfectly to come to the jetty, the market and the bus. WIFI is available but the connection breaks often, much better is the connection at those two computers in the chill out area. There´s a big TV screen and lots of DVD. I really don´t understand the negative comments.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo