“High standard, good value, BUT...”

Akinabalu Youth Hostel
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

One of the best hostels I've stayed in in Southeast Asia!
Fan dorm 25R/night, AC dorm 30R/night, breakfast incl. Very good value!
Good facilities, big commonroom with free computer use, good wifi, TV, books, friendly and helpful staff, 24h free drinking water, tea and coffee, nice and clean dorms and bathrooms, good laundry service, good lokation.
Breakfast is only toast, but thats what's usual in Southeast Asia.
The only BUT...
Suspected bed bugs at my stay in Dec. Woke up with terribly itching rashes on my legs, looked suspiciously much lika bed bug bites... Told the staff who immediately took a look in my bed, cleaned it with some kind of chemicals and changed bed linen. They didn't find any trace of bed bugs, but there was sure something that bit my legs, NOT mosquitos. The staff was however very helpful and concerned.

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 16 January 2014

The toilets were very dirty and there wasnt AC, just fans on the ceilings. we had booked it for two nights (private room), but we stayed only for one night and went hotel. Location was good, breakfast was just a toast with jam, horrible butter and tee. Poor. This place not value for money. I wont recommend this for anyone, except if you dont mind bugs, terrible toilets (showers wasnt even worth to try) and dirty linens.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Location is perfect: Located in Gaya Street it is just few minutes walking time from varieties of local delicacies, bars, shopping complexes.
Security is good as they change the security password almost everyday.
There's also free wifi and pc with internet for our use.
Great price: With MYR30 it is one of the best value budget hostel around. They even serve breakfast FOC.
However sleeping is not an entirely desirable experience over here as there I woke up a lot during the night for scratching activities. I don't really sure what caused that but it sure look like bug bites after a check in the morning.
I would still recommend this place for people considering its superior location, price and service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here for a week (i was doing my padi open water) and it was one of the best hostels I stayed in around borneo. I originally stayed down the road at borneo gaya lodge which was not that great (no windows!) and I'm glad I did. the communal space is open where you can meet people or just chill out. the dorms are clean and cheap, 25 myr. close to good food restorans, try the laksa next door for breakfast! I also went to kuching for 3 days and they let me leave my big luggage bag for free.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank livesimply5
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The room is clean and it has a great living hall to chill or a chit chat talk. The receptionist is nice and have a lot of great deal of cheap tour packages compare to the outside market. Eg, 2D1N Mt Kinabalu climb. Free internet and wifi available too.

The location is good and right behind the Sunday market, which is one of the attraction of Gaya street. It's a good place to have a fun stay at KK.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank WongHaYung
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night , arrived at about 8pm. They only had mixed dorm with air con left which was fine . But 30 rm is a lot for a bed. But Malaysia is more expensive than the rest of Asia except Singapore . The main are was good with plenty of break out space . You get toast for breaky but the toaster was terrible. Free wifi and coffee when ever you want . Good locTion for most things . Was clean and fresh bedding . Toilets need a lil tlc apart from that wAs happy. Staff are friendly

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights.
Two of the people we were with fell I'll during our time in Kota Kinabalu and the staff were very sympathetic moving us to a larger room with better ventilation. However there was some confusion over our last night as we asked to extend our stay and they didn't take note. In the end we were forced to move into two dorms which wasn't ideal. The staff were friendly enough but it was frustrating. Breakfast was nice and chill out area was great.
Location in the town was brilliant. Close to everything you need.

• Stayed: September 2013