“Suffered rashes”

Akinabalu Youth Hostel
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Suffered rashes”
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

I booked the place via agoda after decided to extend my stay in Kota Kinabalu for an extra day but the backpacker place I stayed was fully book. Booked this places due to the high review in agoda but did not stayed there. I was out watching movies in cinema and hanging around at the shopping center till night time and back to the double bed room. After sat on the bed for couple of minutes my legs started to feel itchy and my rashes started to come out. We started to examine the room due to my rashes became worse and was shocked to see how dirty are the pillows and mattress under the linen.( photo included), we decided to check out the hotel immediately and move to another place due to my rashes. I paid but did not stay more than an hour in the room.
The shared toilets are not clean as well.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I learnt so much about Borneo Sabah KK from Hostel staff & other guests ( backpackers)
Best Beach TANJUNG ARU where rent scooter GOGOSABAH
Went on Train to PAPAR the diesel not the Steam train was 60 minutes into provinces area famous for Rice Rubber Timber. was nothing like KK very RURAL ..
Hostel.. I had my own room WAS g8. I had share tolilets & Showers . Breakfast was Toast JAM & Noodles. U want more there so many eating places near entrance
Buy Map KK & Sabah 13RM bookshop outside Hostel 2 right 20m.. I bought my own Malaysia Sim card CELECOM very cheap to text globally & call nationally. Celecom shop was 100m from Hostel Staff told me location .. Next to CELL PHONE shop was Massage saloon Pedicure Manicure Foot spa I did that to.. Sunday market whole GAYA st is a market opens early till midday.. KK has many markets its 10 minutes walk to Waterfront great to b there from 5pm. I like the CENTERPOINT mall myself but thee are a few Malls including the HUGE HYPER MALL 1Borneo has free bus & bk was 30RM by taxi 4 me.. very busy city I was here 4 Chinese NEW YEAR started 31 JAN ( year of the Horse ) all the streets were decoratesd with red lanterns. WAS i great base 4 the JUNGLE / Mountains ( not my scene ).. Hostel lounge had good WIFI & 2 computers Many guests had own phones PADS netbooks. LOUNGE had good WIFI but not rooms

Room Tip: MY TIP rent a Scooter & be aware KK had lots false car alarms & abuse the car horn.. TO...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank johncare
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Spent 4 nights in the dorms here, overall would recommend. Staff are friendly and knowledgable, location is fine (although KK is pretty small). Easy to get bus to and from airport.

Nice communal area with lots of space. It never felt crowded although the place seemed pretty full over Chinese new year. Would recommend for a few days stay in KK.

One downside was that the quality of the beds seemed pretty variable (moved around a bit due to it being full and used 3 beds, one of which was terrible, one was ok and one was good).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

One of the best hostels I've stayed in in Southeast Asia!
Fan dorm 25R/night, AC dorm 30R/night, breakfast incl. Very good value!
Good facilities, big commonroom with free computer use, good wifi, TV, books, friendly and helpful staff, 24h free drinking water, tea and coffee, nice and clean dorms and bathrooms, good laundry service, good lokation.
Breakfast is only toast, but thats what's usual in Southeast Asia.
The only BUT...
Suspected bed bugs at my stay in Dec. Woke up with terribly itching rashes on my legs, looked suspiciously much lika bed bug bites... Told the staff who immediately took a look in my bed, cleaned it with some kind of chemicals and changed bed linen. They didn't find any trace of bed bugs, but there was sure something that bit my legs, NOT mosquitos. The staff was however very helpful and concerned.

• Stayed December 2013
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 16 January 2014

The toilets were very dirty and there wasnt AC, just fans on the ceilings. we had booked it for two nights (private room), but we stayed only for one night and went hotel. Location was good, breakfast was just a toast with jam, horrible butter and tee. Poor. This place not value for money. I wont recommend this for anyone, except if you dont mind bugs, terrible toilets (showers wasnt even worth to try) and dirty linens.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Location is perfect: Located in Gaya Street it is just few minutes walking time from varieties of local delicacies, bars, shopping complexes.
Security is good as they change the security password almost everyday.
There's also free wifi and pc with internet for our use.
Great price: With MYR30 it is one of the best value budget hostel around. They even serve breakfast FOC.
However sleeping is not an entirely desirable experience over here as there I woke up a lot during the night for scratching activities. I don't really sure what caused that but it sure look like bug bites after a check in the morning.
I would still recommend this place for people considering its superior location, price and service.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I stayed here for a week (i was doing my padi open water) and it was one of the best hostels I stayed in around borneo. I originally stayed down the road at borneo gaya lodge which was not that great (no windows!) and I'm glad I did. the communal space is open where you can meet people or just chill out. the dorms are clean and cheap, 25 myr. close to good food restorans, try the laksa next door for breakfast! I also went to kuching for 3 days and they let me leave my big luggage bag for free.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo