“Awesome staff. Great terrace.”

Travellers' Light Backpackers Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kota Kinabalu
Travellers' Light Backpackers Lodge
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Awesome staff. Great terrace.”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here for about 6 nights. We stayed in a double room which was quiet and simple with AC.

The bathrooms are outdoors on the roof terrace which I loved. Having a fresh-air shower is awesome!

The terrace is also home to the TV with astro which was great for me so I could watch English football.

The staff are amazing, really helpful and friendly. One night the owner even cooked us some dinner!

Location right next to the centre of KK. Ideal.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Korean first
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

we stayed here for a couple of nights and have come back for a couple more. the staff are friendly, rooms clean and a/c working fine. it has wi-fi and a pc free to use. hot shower available.. though the plumbing could use a little attention.. i will mention it to the staff tomorrow, all in all a nice place and it's in a great location and backs onto some jungle which is unusual for being in a city.

Room Tip: room 204 for 2 sharing or a family of 4. 2 beds + a bunk bed
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Bath, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed here one night after climbing Mt Kinabalu.
Rooms are basic but ok. However I woke in the night to find bed bugs crawling over me!

There is a security camera that seems to be overlooking the showers which I was not at all happy with!

There are signs all over the place telling you to be quiet and step lightly, however we were kept awake by the staff giggling and talking loudly in the common area until gone midnight (we were shattered from our hike and just wanted to sleep!)
Our bedroom window looked right into the common area, right next to the tv so we got all the tv noise too. And the staff kept the lights on in the common area until very late meaning all the light came into our room.
We were then awoken at 6am by someone stomping around (it was the staff putting breakfast out) however it sounded like a heard of elephants!

We are leaving tired, annoyed and covered in bed bug bites!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sus704

Travellers are raving about these Kota Kinabalu hotels

Reviewed 8 February 2014

I had booked to stay in a private double room at Travellers Light Backpackers Lodge for two nights, as the price was great and the past reviews looked really good. But had to leave after TWO hours due an infestation of bed bugs!

The location of the hostel is about 20mins taxi drive from the airport. There isn't much in the local area but we didn't have time to do any exploring, so you may find more if you last longer than we did!

The woman that checked us into the room, was friendly and I do feel bad having to leave a bad review, as she was really nice.

The room was old and very basic but thats what we expected with the price. The a/c is always on and you are unable to change the setting! I like rooms cold but this was crazy! The temp was set at 16 degrees, if not lower!

The bathroom is located outside and looked again basic but ok. Again, its a very cheap hostel so we weren't expecting much.

BUT! I (maybe stupidly) checked under the sheets and was horrified at what I found! The bed was crawling! I didn't even have to search for bed bugs! They were EVERYWHERE! and large! I also found a huge collection of bed bug eggs and blood stains all over the mattress.

We quickly gathered our stuff (off the bed) and starting searching for somewhere else to stay for the night.

When my girlfriend told the woman about what we had found, she was apologetic and booked us a taxi to our next hotel but unfortunately wasn't able to give us a refund for the two nights. She directed us to the website we booked the room through and said we needed to go them for a refund. As the hostel was cheap, we didn't argue about the refund as were happy to be getting away from the bed bugs!

I have been bitten by bed bugs before and its not fun! They easily get into your belongings and can invest your stuff, which is costly to try to clean. I would defiantly AVOID the private room here and look elsewhere!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Adamb1984
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days wile we were travelling through Borneo. It's a really cleab hostel. Room whit airconditioning that worked just fine. Showers are oke. Staff is extremely helpful. In fact they invited us for a Octoberfest party (thats right, in Borneo) and we had a blast. they even helpt us picking a rental car. So good place that I'll recommend to others that are backpacking and don't want to spend a lot of money.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here 2 nights. From the moments we walked in the service was superb. We were quite early and they were happy for us to sit and relax in the common area. The double room was clean and had space. The aircon only had one setting though . Vvv cold . The showers are outside but we where surprised but loved it . There is wildlife out the back area birds and monkeys. The breakfast is standard. The family who run it our lovely . They are very generous. Made us a crab dinner on our last night with the family. Food was the best we had had in Sabah . I also had a puncture and the man who owns it helped me change it with me asking . The price is a lil expensive but it's standard for KK. It's a good location and everything is a 5 min walk.

• Stayed September 2013
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The location is a bit far, but I don't mind to walk for that bit as I really love this place. When we first entered the hostel, the staffs welcomed us very well and I could say they are so nice and friendly. This hostel is a home to me. Even though it's a bit far, but I don't mind as I love the atmosphere of staying here. Besides, it's quiet at night and we slept tight during our stay at here.

As our room is on the first floor, we walked up the stairs and I found that we have to walk carefully on the first floor as the floor is made of wood and making strange sounds while we step on it. However, that's the way to keep in mind about respecting the others,right? The floor would be always to remind me about this. I don't feel any uncomfortable but it's getting me to feel like it's "home".

The outside deck on the first floor is the common area for watching tv, reading, having meals and others. There's a lot of people every night during our stay. It's excellent meeting and talking to other travelers while sharing the experience of KK.

Price? RM75 for triple, what do you think?

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends