“Not four star”
Review of Grand Borneo Hotel

Grand Borneo Hotel
Ranked #64 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Stayed here for 7 days ,arrived early to book in, great welcome but spent nearly 45 minutes trying to get a room that my family could fit into.I booked this hotel through Air Asia Go with flights. Air Asia Go accepted my booking for a Gallery Room with free breakfast for 2 adults & 1 child.The hotel advised us an extra bed would not fit in this room, then wanted us to pay for another larger room & childs breakfast.
I pointed out as per the terms & conditions of the booking with Air Asia Go the booking and monies had been accepted and no mention of the fact that 3 people could not fit in this room,I pointed out a clause that stated once the booking had been accepted there would be no further charges. I advised the Manager (Jet ) that he needed to sort this out with Air Asia Go. After not getting anwhere with a larger room I advised the manager we where tired from our flights and went up to the room but not before i advised the manager i would be sleeping in the foyer on the couch tonight.Within being in our room 10 minutes management phoned and advised they had a larger room with no extra charge but had to pay for my daughters breakfast by this stage i accepted this. I have since lodged a complaint with Air Asia Go but have only recieved an apology and that management would look into this.
Access to 1 Borneo shopping mall is through the rear entrance of the hotel and we found this very convienent and ate in the mall most nights at various establishments. the rooms where a bit tired the bed and pillows were comfortable. housekeeping was a bit slap and dash and we had to ask for items at times. wifi was free , breakfast was the same every morning with little change to choices a lot of asian choices but not much for westerners. breakfast was acceptable the quality was only average.the passage ways in the hotel where tired and worn and the air conditioning never seemed to work in these areas. the pool area was good. OK for a short stay but 7 km from town and the beachfront so unless you like shopping not much else to do.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank grumpee-58

Reviewed 9 December 2012

I stayed at the Grand Borneo for two nights from 6th December 2012 mainly to catch up with friends who live and work in KK. Check-in was quick and professional and with a smile. The hotel layout is strange with a massive lobby and lifts hidden along a short corridor and around a corner. There is a door from this corridor straight into the huge mall which adjoins the hotel. The de-luxe room on the 12th floor was on a corner of the building and very spacious with a large bathroom. Fixtures and fittings looked a little tired and battered here and there but were fine. Some idiot had touched up the white ceiling paint and spattered the brown leather-look armchair. It's a shame how this happens all too often. The bed was firm but comfortable and with spare pillows available. I enjoyed the bath and separate shower with rainhead and plenty of hot water. An in-room safe was useful and accommodated a 15inch laptop computer with ease. The battery in the safe was on the blink and needed replacing. Towels were threadbare and scruffy on the first day but replaced with fluffy ones on the second day. Free in-room wired internet access (with your own computer) was either only just adequate or a complete waste of time. Free wi-fi in the lobby worked very well and many guests seemed to use this facility. Breakfast was typical Asian fare with some western items such as stone-cold baked beans and fried frankfurter sausages. An egg station produced the usual items but I found them all a bit oily for my taste. I got the impression that the western items were all done on the cheap as the cornflakes were of poor quality as was the bread, jam and marmalade etc. More like two star food than four star. The first morning the breakfast room was like a sauna even though the air-con seemed to be blowing. The second morning was much better, though still quite warm. Breakfast room staff were attentive and pleasant. After the second day's breakfast I was locked out of the room by the keycard system. I trundled down to the lobby to rectify this problem and found I was not alone. Fortunately it only happened once. The room doors are very heavy and well sprung. This led to a some noise from other guests banging doors closed at all hours. Sadly, those same guests thought little about others as they shouted and conversed loudly in the corridors. As others point out this hotel is not in a prime location but for a short stay it is fine. If you want to be on the KK seafront this is not the hotel for you...

Room Tip: Although I did not enjoy a Mount Kinabalu view it might be something to ask for when booking....
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gordon T
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

For me, the hotel is quite okay. Because it is located in the shopping mall itself. But the room is quite small, but still okay la. The service is also quite good. And you also can get about 10% discount for the government servant, but you need to bring your government ID.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 18 November 2012

For those who plan to book this hotel, please please please hold that thought!..My reason for booking this hotel was that it was in the vicinity of the hypermall so convenient for me to come back when needed...Let me tell you what happened, I came here last 2 weeks,., I thought with the bad reviews they might improve themselves overtime..But you know the answer, they don't even bother to improve.. The management should look into this matter seriously..We came by a taxi, and guess what, there was not a single porter outside to help with the luggage, hello, we are with a baby so that was quite inconvenient for us to drag the luggage, When we came in, then the porters were there chit chatting among themselves. I wonder where the manager was?! When they saw us, then they decided to come and help..Then time to check in..We booked via the hotel's own website and they told us that they have not updated the booking yet. How can that be when you booked online!..They told us to wait and after half an hour wait, they told us to wait again, for another hour!.. had no choice but to go to the hypermall while waiting for the available room...When we came for the key, the receptionist had a baffled and apprehensive look on his face, and i thought what again!..fortunately the room was ready by then but this is not the end of the story yet...The hallway had an unpleasant and weird smell, and when we came to the room, the aircond was in a bad condition..even when u turned it on at the lowest temperature, you can't even feel the coldness, so the room was warm and i was sweating..sigh~..since it's only for a night, i decided just to stay in that room...my advise, please look at other options, they are few nearby hotels, and i can assure you that the international chain hotel nearby (I won;t mention the name but you can find out for yourself) is far much better in comparison with this hotel..I won't be staying in this hotel ever again....

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Maira Z
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Staying in Standard Room with kid. The aircon did not do what it is suppose to do to which was to cool the room eventhough it was switched on to the lowest setting. The room was so small and furthermore the internet was so slow. To add more, the staffs did not care at first when arrived especially no one attending the luggages and we need to bring it by our own to the reception area. The bad thing was that the booking made earlier had not being processed and need to wait for another half and hour before they said to us that the room will be ready for another hour. It was a nightmare for us with kid. However, the place is within the hypermall and easy for us with kid to move around and shopping.

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank Gengges
Reviewed 12 October 2012

Stayed for 2D1N at the suite room . The room a little bit small compared to the location at the largest hypermall in Borneo . But it is clean and the bed very comfy . The white sofa bring the big impression of the room . The breakfast also nice with the wide spread of choices . Another plus point ,it is situated at the hypermall where you can shops and dine after your busy business agenda .

Room Tip: Choose high floor ... enjoyed Mount Kinabalu view .
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank wazaruha
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Was here Sept 21 to 23 2012, Grand Borneo Hotel is really not that grand at all, I have been to a number of 4 star rated hotel and this one is none at par with those I have been to. The facade and the lobby is nothing to be happy about, plain and typical. Wifi is only available on the ground floor and the 2 cafe/restaurant on the next 2 upper floors.

The rooms were dated and not maintained properly, stains on old carpet, laminates on furniture chipping off, safe box with no batteries (we asked to have new batteries to work). We went to KK in a group and we all paid the same type and rate for our room, but the room that was given to us is small compared to the other rooms, a non standard procedure comapred to other hotels (never complained about this anymore). Our room has a tiny work table just enough to place a laptop, no bath tub and toiletries include only a round soap, shampoo and a liquid body soap... I was expecting at least a set of cotton buds, a bottle of lotion, a comb and a shower cap, things that I was able to see even in a 3 star hotel.

Location of the hotel is a no-no for those who want nightlife coz it is quite far from the city area where bars and clubs can be seen. The hotel is on top of a not so huge shopping mall that closes at 9 pm, after that there is nothing much to do in the hotel. Though they (mall) have a shuttle service going into the city it is only till 930 pm, taxi cabs costs around 30 ringgit for a 20 mintute travel to city.

Breakfast buffet is rated 4 out of 10, asian food (nasi lemak) for 2 days and all are the same. Limited choices.
Swimming pool is small but enough for a few good laps.
Has a gym but I wasn't able to check it.

Given a choice, I would rather check in at a highly rated hotel in Tripadvisor at a lower price but better quality and location.

Room Tip: Choose higher level rooms facing the mountains
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends