“Lousy experience & dishonest staff”
Review of Grand Borneo Hotel

Grand Borneo Hotel
Ranked #64 of 92 Hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

From booking to departure, the experience is totally disappointing.

Booked thru' Air Asia, wrote to hotel directly for information but never get a reply!

Arrived from Airport -
It was raining heavily. The entrance of the hotel was blocked with many waiting vehicles, hotel staff did not bother to control the traffic and we have to unload our own luggage in the rain for the check-in. Not even an apology from the staff.

Room -
Upon check-in Window handle was discovered broken, TV remote cover was missing & the batteries keep falling off. No effort to at least use a scotch tape to seal the back of the remote control. Stingy with amenities only provide one bottle of their 'small' body foam for two guests.

Bed was comfortable as we like it hard & firm. No complaints for the buffet breakfast as for the price we paid RM 55 for two persons, it's reasonable. Though the coffee is tasteless.

Room key failed multiple times during our stay even effort was made to keep them away from electronic devices.

Gym, converted by two guest rooms, was hideous with lousy equipment. Compendium states it operates from 6 am but when we went to reception, we were as-a-matter-of-facts told it only available at 7 am. And the staff can tell us 'u only can use one hour'. Which hotel restrict the usage hours of gym?

Departure-
Staff forgot to return our credit cards upon payment, realised only when we reached our next hotel. Also, the housekeeping claimed they did not see my wallet I left by mistake during checks out. Checking out at 6+ am in the morning, how can my wallet not be in the room when I was just organising it the night before checks out! I'm sure I did not lose it elsewhere cos my partner paid for the taxi to our next hotel and I have no reason to take out my wallet, so the last place it has been was the hotel room.

I do not recommend this hotel to anyone as obviously the hotel is not interested to keep guests. Despite the many comments on poor customer service, you can't see any effort from management to improve. The staff doesn't greet or smile. Cold and no personal touch.

It good to stay in hotel near K K city where the attractions and good seafood food are cos taxi trip to/fro K K costs RM 30 per way. Though there's free shuttle to K K from the shopping mall. You have to book in advance as it's a 20 seater.

Hope this review is helpful.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 December 2013

The hotel is very convenient to shopping mall just going to back glass door from lobby.
Free shuttle from hotel to k.k city centre.
Should try the teh tarek and cheese banana fritters.
Half hour drive to and from airport.
Hotel staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank smad672
Insan S, Director of Sales at Grand Borneo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 December 2013

Thank you and we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

I booked a gallary room with internal window (facing a wall) around RM165. Hotel and the room is clean and comfortable. The bathroom was big but the room was small. Aircond was too cold even i had made it to 30 degree celcius. -.- Provide water heater, mineral water, coffee and tea packets everyday. Breakfast was normal and there not many choices. Water in the indoor swimming pool was freezing cold! suggust they provide a heated swiming pool. :p Attached to 1Borneo shopping Mall and near to Universiti Malaysia Sabah, far from KK main town but can be easy accessible by public transport.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Insan S, Director of Sales at Grand Borneo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

We appreciate your feedback and have noted on your comments.

Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

I like the fact that it is attached to a mall. Condition of the room was okay. Food (buffet & catering) was satisfying. But facilities such as WiFi service was not accessible, especially at conference room (Vinusak hall). And some of the front reception staff were not friendly and approachable.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you and we appreciate your feedback. We have noted on the WIFI issues with our hotel and we are in the midst of finding a solutions to it. We apologize on the inconsistency of our service delivery and we have taken measures to rectify it. Regards

Reviewed 1 December 2013

The hotel was easy access to mall. If you do not want to explore KK then this is perfect for you. Easy access to the mall shopping around and eating is not a problem. Well, i' was disappointed with the service provided. Our check in was very slow despite we were the only customer at that time. Questions we asked but we had gotten no answers. The reception put up a long face with the "i don't care attitude". The corridor of our room was dusty and filthy. It was an unpleasant scene. Housekeeping to be blamed or customers who were irresponsible?

The room is small for deluxe superior. Is not roomy to fit 3 pax. For the price we pay, I will not stay here again. There are so many other choices for the same type of room in KK. It is not worth the value

{Note: During peak season this place is packed with mainland Chinese tourists. Phew... we were so lucky to bump into a few only. Room reservation is not a secured booking. The hotel will only confirm the booking 2 weeks prior to your booking date. Do have an alternative plan. Priority on room is given to tour group/ tourist from mainland China}.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

We appreciate your feedback. We have taken your comments seriously and have & will be taking steps to ensure it will not happen again. We do apologize for your inconveniences. Pleased be rest assured that all guaranteed bookings are secured.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I travel a lot and I do so with my computer as I own an Accommodation Guest House and need to answer emails and questions by guests. On that basis I need internet connection and it was on the basis that this hotel said that it has just that that I booked it.
On arrival I find out that there is NOT WiFi available in the rooms but you can get it in the Lobby - well I turned on my computer and could not get any WiFi in the Lobby either. This is a major inconvenience to me as I do not want to get dressed and go somewhere just to read emails or talk on Skype.
The front desk gave me a connection device to put in the USB port but I was told later that this was the wrong item and I could of course not use it to connect.
I managed to get onto the Internet from the Hotel's own computer just to show them that my receipt from the Hotel said that I had WiFi in the room but I never got any feedback from management over that issue either.
The room was OLD and WORN, I pulled the kettle plug out of the power point and the whole power point fell out. Furniture was worn and scratched and this was a DELUX ROOM - please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: My tip would be to choose a room in another hotel